Magnetic Stainless Steel

According to what I have found on the internet, 410 stainless steel sheet is magnetic. An agency I work with wants to use 4’ x 8’ sheets as magnetic pin up boards. Before they spend $1,200 on the sheets, has anyone physically stuck a magnet to 410 stainless? This is one case where I prefer street smarts over book smarts. Galvanized is an option, but they are willing to spend the $$ on stainless.

Take some magnets to your local kitchen appliance store and find a stainless steel fridge. Just don’t let the salesman see you scratching it :smiley:

see paragraph: Magnetic effects in annealed stainless steels

http://www.assda.asn.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=18535

Bond metallic vinyl films to .030 steel sheet then bond the whole thing to .040" aluminum plate. Light, magnetic and inexpensive.

:)ensen.

I agree in principle,
do the bonding thing…a thin layer of SS over regular sheet steel.
This way you’ll have the looks and the magnetic properties.

The ‘magnetic’ SS is not very strongly magnetic IIRC.
but on the other hand the magnets you are intending to use might not be strong enough to ‘pull’ through the SS laminate.

I ran into the same problem trying to develop an exhibit for a hands on science centre exhibit. in the end we just went powder coat since the magnets required would have had to be Rare earth magnets in our case.
(too much $$ for the volumes needed)

Most signage material suppliers sell various adhesive vinyl films with a metallic topcoat. Looks just like brush metal in most cases. At most, this stuff is .010" (.25mm) thick. With the steel plate just under, even the cheap ferrite magnets should hold. If you use silver Mylar you would get an even more striking effect - magnets sticking to a mirror. It’s the lamination that will be difficult, although it’s likely that the signage supplier will also have the equipment to do that.

:)ensen

Most signage material suppliers sell various adhesive vinyl films with a metallic topcoat. Looks just like brush metal in most cases.

In most cases the vinyl materials that have that “brushed aluminum” look don’t come in 48" or wider widths. They may be 30" at the very widest. Application is quite simple, but be aware you will probably have some seams if you go that route.

From what I have seen, 410 stainless isn’t very strong as someone already noted. Laminating a thin sheet of stainless to another sheet of carbon steel might do it if your magnets are strong enough.

I may be wrong on that size thing…
Avery Graphics might have up to 60"W material

check out http://www.signage.averygraphics.com
or call the answer line 1-800-443-9380

Avery, Kodak, MacTac and 3M all have films.

:)ensen.

A little late, but a couple suggestions:

1. 17-4 is magnetic and about the same price as 410
  2. Go to onlinemetals.com and order a couple small samples of each to see how well they hold regular magnets.