Made in (insert your country here)???

Is design better in your country or another?

• Your Country
  • Other Countries

0 voters

As a designer and regular American I look to other countries for inspiration constantly. Partly because we as Americans are bombarded with the same of everything over the TV airwaves. The Internet is a good way to view other sources. It is also fascinating because I have never been anywhere else but USA.
So I ask the question is really cooler to have products made in another country? This does not just apply to Americans it applys to everyone in the world. What makes handbags from Italy with fancy Italian leather so much better than one made in Germany or Canada. Are the cows really that much more “leathery” in Italy than the rest of the country? OR does it even matter with everything “even Italian designs” being made in China?
There is design everywhere good or bad it is still design. If you are designing for a domestic market should you be as aware of everything as if you are designing internationaly?

would help to clarify… are you talking about manufacturing in different countries and the associated quality? sourcing of materials? design? national (small “n”) design languages? design for different geographic markets?

all these things are perhaps worthy of discussion, but you are kinda mixing them all up in your question so it makes it difficult to reply.

R

I guess to simpilfy my question would be to ask a simple question.

Do you feel that design (any of listed by rkuchinsky) is better in your own country or elsewhere in the world?

yes.

Do you feel that design is better in your own country or elsewhere in the world?

manufacturing in different countries and the associated quality. sourcing of materials. design. national small “n” design languages. design for different geographic markets

Just to name a few that R had mentioned off the top of his head.

the question is nearly impossible to answer.

‘yes’ will be the answer for everyone on this planet.

in any one country, every major and minor facet of design is not perfect or better than the rest of the world.