Luggage internals specification

Every once in a while, we stumble onto a new category…

Currently working on a line of luggage and I’m pretty clear on the exterior specs, but as I’m developing the internals I’m wondering if anyone has sample illustrations or can explain to me what is commonly done to spec internals to a chinese manufacturer. Show orthographic views, slicing away layers? exploded views, perspective sketches of pockets, separators etc? How detailed does one need to get for a seasoned manufacturer to understand intent?

Any help is much appreciated!

In the past I’ve drawn it like it was all folded out… imagine a cutting die/graphic tech spec for a cardboard box, all flattened.

If he doesn’t weigh in, I would PM Skinny, he will give you some tips in this category for sure.

great thanks for your help - i’ll ping skinny

simplest way is straight on 2-d drawing with dimensions and call out. think like you will be drawing and cutting the patterns.

you can get cute and do 3-d 3/4 views but make sure you ahve a straight on view.

simple and even the least seasoned pattern maker can fogure it out

Thanks for the feedback so far -

trouble starts as soon as you get into special hinging/snapping/zipper features of several layers, like in a carry-on wheelie. how do you typically deal with that? A simple fold-out pattern might be, well, more confusing than helpful…

I’d probably do a fold out illustration to scale, and then a quick perspective shot of how it folds up to explain how to make it and also how it should work. More work up front, but hopefully less on the back end corrections…

Hey, was just checking this out. Have never done luggage, but would be interested to see an example of a “fold out” illustration.

-TH

cutaways. front view cut aways. Draw the Over All wiith references and then literally “peel back” a layer noting you have removed the layer above. It helps if youcan mock them up and show the “unwrapped” flat version

that and what Yo said works as well. the more you spec out early the less you will have to explain later.

Think Big first, then go into detail. Also a digital camera is your best friend. As you get the samples in photo them and draw over the photos in a some garishly bright color in AI or with a red pen…

BTW how familiar are you with the factory making teh samples? If its you first time and/or you will never have a chance to meet face to face to explain your thoughts (and reasons why you are doing it) you will need to be very specific to the point of thinking and explaining the idea and execution to a three year old. Just use simple and direct directions and always, no matter how bad they screw up or misunderstand you, say “Please, Thank You” and always get a confirmation of their understanding by asking them to “Please confirm you understand…”

Here are some examples of some older stuff. I don’t know where my other interior views are right now, hidden in storage somewhere. These should give you an idea. I just bang these out in illustrator. You only need frame details if it’s a new vendor or some place that you haven’t worked with before. For new vendors you need to be really specific with everything about your construction since they may be used to doing it a different way.

For tricky shapes, straight on ortho views. I normally just did very detailed 3/4 views open and closed and that usually covers everything. Then some extra callouts for important construction details like special stitching, how to construct an unusual fabric handle, etc.

Also, I’ve never sent patterns with spec sheets like this. I don’t even have a clue how to do pattern making, we always had a few dedicated pattern makers that could translate our 3/4 views into the appropriate patterns. It also works if you can have a sample made that you can send with these types of spec sheets. 3/4 views work well because it shows how the bag is supposed to look when finished. Some shapes don’t come across well in flat orthos.

For interiors, I’d do all dims, spec out color contrasts, interior lining snap locations, any bottom support pe or plywood, etc. Hardware can be referenced by vendor and part number, typical stuff. Also how the lining should zip or velcro into the bags, basically any stuff that you really want a specific way and don’t want to be left to interpretation, spell it out very clear so the person doesn’t have to think or assume anything.

So check these out (they’re all over 5 years old, released and killed, but I won’t keep them up here very long all the same.)

That’s perfect and exactly the info I was looking for - thanks so much Yo and Skinny!

Wow, that’s really sweet. Thanks for posting it!

-TH

I knew Skinny would school us! :open_mouth:

Also check out Eco.ID’s coroflot: Eric is one of the mods here:
http://www.coroflot.com/eco-iD

good job on the illustrations skinny. i’ve designed some luggage also. I design shoes but found it to be something new and fun. :slight_smile: