lucite anyone??

Anyone know anything about lucite?

I am working on a project that requires a handle, and I like the twisted shape that lucite can take on. Its clarity and smoothness are also very appealing to me for this particular project.

I’m curious about anyone’s experience designing with this material, and if you had any experience, who was your supplier?

I think the general term for the material is PMMA (polymethyl-methacrylate), or acrylic. Lucite and Plexiglas are trade names for the clear varieties (acrylic comes in just about any shade, opaque or transparent).0

Anyway, you can form it into just about any shape quite easily by heating it to 176 degrees celsius, then bending it. It gets really floppy, like a piece of processed cheese – just don’t overheat it or it bubbles. If you like the smooth finish, you’ll need a felt-covered mold to keep scratches and dents from forming.

My supplier is a place here in Ottawa called Canus Plastics. However, any plastics supply house is likely to have acrylic sheet in thicknesses from about 0.5mm to about 50mm, as well as rods and maybe even tubes.

Thanks for the info Arclight!

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can cut it with a band saw or scroll saw. Most plastics can be scored and snapped, but acrylic is far too flexible for that to work well.