LOST

LOST is like a 6 year movie and it’s going to end tomorrow. Anyone else as excited as I am? There has been some great industrial design on the island. I mean a wheel that moves an Island, that’s pretty good.

To be honest, I haven’t watched a single minute of it. I’m not sure why, usually I get totally sucked into shows like that. Mad Men on the other hand…

I am a total LOST nerd. I have not missed an episode and normally usually watch them twice. I also listen to the “Jay and Jack” LOST podcast ever week. It’s a great show and I will miss it when it is gone.

I’m the same way. I’ve seen every single episode. This season has kind of let me down though, I must admit. I just don’t feel as into it. Still, I watch every week and am very interested to see how they are gonna wrap this thing up tonight. I feel like they need more than just this one episode to end it. However I do think that they’ll leave a lot of stuff unanswered/open ended.

Wired magazine interviewed the executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof. Here is some of the stuff they said about the finale:

DL - "But the show can’t have its cake and eat it too. At the end of the day, if Jack and Locke were to sit down and say, “Well, we were kind of both right,” that would not be satisfying.

CC - "There’s still going to be plenty of room for debate when the show is over. We are going to take a stab at providing a conclusion, one that we hope will be satisfying. The bigger questions, we recognize, are not answerable.

CC - “I think there’s this essential human desire to have a unified field theory. But there is no unified field theory for LOST, nor do we think there should be. Philosophically we don’t buy into that. The great mysteries of life fundamentally can’t be addressed. We just have to tell a good story and let the chips fall where they may. We don’t know whether the resolutions between the two timelines is going to make people say, “Oh, that’s cool!” or “Oh, f*** those guys, they belly-flopped at the end.” But the fact that we’re nervous about it and that we’re actually attempting it - that is what we had to do.”

Really anxious here to see how the end it.

I can’t believe it is over. I have to say I am pretty happy with the way they left it, but now I need to go back and watch all the episodes in order to see how they tie it all together. What did all of you think?

I think they wrapped it all up beautifully. I couldn’t have imagined a better end. Sure, many unimportant facts were left unknown (where was michael and walt?) but could they really have answered everything, to everyone’s satisfaction. Plenty of tears in our living room last night.

I agree, there was 6 years of questions so it would take 6 more years of answers but they did a great job wrapping up the most complex story line ever. In the end they made it about the relationships that matter the most. I had no idea how they would tie in the two worlds together and I think it was better than I could of thought. No Michael or Walt is strange but I can live with that. I was SO happy they brought back Rose and Bernard for the final episode.

Now I am waiting for a spin off show of the what happens to Kate, James,Miles,The Pilot and Claire when they land the plane. :smiley:

and don’t forget, Hurley, Ben and Desmond ( :open_mouth: ) are still on the island…

I liked it a lot. I’m still kind of thinking about it and trying to tie loose ends together…

Wow, just watched the finale. Might be the massive amounts of sleep deprivation I’m suffering from or the fact that I was watching the episode by myself but damn that was a pretty emotional episode, no? The thing that I’ve always loved about LOST is the awesome character development, the plot was questionable at times but I kept coming back because I was so connected to the characters. It’s like that childhood friend you have that makes nothing but bad decisions, but you continue to support their crazy ideas.

On the one hand, I’d love to go back and re-watch the entire series from the prespective of now knowing what happens and for the most part, what is going on. On the other hand, thats 120 episodes… yikes!

I enjoyed the show immensely and am glad to see it all come together, but sad to see it go.

Whatever you thought of the finale, at least it’s better than what they did with “The Sopranos”…

I think they ended it pretty well. I was ready for anything from amazing to lame and I think I was left somewhere in between. It would have taken a really, really amazing episode to wow me after 6 years, so I am satisfied with what they did to end it.

It is interesting that Hurley, Desmond and Ben are still there. I thought Ben was going to kill Hurley or something when Jack turned the Island over to him. I also thought it was weird how Ben turned totally evil again, but then flip flopped to the good side without anybody caring. What’s with that?

I really like Desmond and also Richard. I could watch more about them. Faraday, too.

I really liked the finale, however I’m still not sure why some of the old characters were there, but not others. Kinda seemed random in who they chose to be there. I was happy that they explained Rose and Bernard, that was great!

I don’t think it matters. Maybe I’m interpreting it wrong but I see it as they all died initially when the plane originally crashed in the first episode. Everything else from then on was a story of them or their “souls” trying to resolve whatever issues they had before they could move on and accept their deaths in this last episode. So all of it was imaginary, even the multiple timelines, etc…similar to how it is when you dream, seeming to be in 2 places at once, time not being sequential, etc… The way this last episode is layed out points to that in my opinion.
Also the random omission of Mike and Walt. The last we see of them, Ben sent them away on the boat to be free of the island. Then you don’t see them again until Hugo sees their visions on the island this last season. But he was only seeing dead people right? So unless they died trying to leave the island on the boat when we last saw them and they just totally omitted the storyline, can we assume they were already dead, and if so, then all of them are?
What I don’t get is why Penny was in the last episode where they all gathered in the end. Did she die at some point in the season, maybe I missed something?

skinny,

My wife and I were debating this last night and it’s all up for interpretation of course, but as far as I understand it, they were all dead in the sideways flash world but they didn’t die when they crashed. They did survive and live those lives and have those meaningful relationships. The island is some sort of magical place for sure, but it does exist and the islanders were chosen to go there, given a second chance to create new lives because they were alone in the world.

Whatever happened, when they did die, their souls went to this sideways reality “limbo world.” Time here is fluid. The characters arrived when they died, but not in the same timeline as in life. This place was a continuation of the characters aspirations before the plane crash, but with all familiar people (Juliet and Jack were married, had a child, divorced? what? big clue here) This was another “reset” button once Jacob/the island didn’t need them anymore. Memories were erased, rewritten. Eloise didn’t want Desmond going around making connections for this reason. The point of the ending was that it was better to have lived this tragic second chance at life which was shared with strangers they grew to love and care about, than having a life they thought they wanted before the crash (but not knowing about these real connections they actually had). It makes sense, though, that these “fake” lives were flawed as well because humans are flawed, remember the Matrix?

(We did see michael on whitmore’s freighter where he actually died. Walt is still alive, we saw him when locke visited him at school when he went back to the US.) And penny was there at the end because she died… eventually, sometime in the future, “everyone dies eventualy”

Skinny, someone at work said this to me too but when Jack learns he is dead his father says some of them died before you, some long after.

I agree with benny, they said that when they died they came back to the most important part of their life. And that was the island for the people involved. I guess Penny was there because desmond was her most important part and it all revolved around the island in his life. Strange ending really, left me a bit torn. It was standard JJ Abrams. Ignore the plot to develop the characters. Just like Cloverfield.

I was kinda dissapointed to be honest…

The street-fighter-scene between man-in-black and Jack? the cheesy ‘I saved you another bullet’-line…
Some really hard to believe situations. Ben being stuck under a tree and then ten seconds later they are reunited with Jack again. Desmond and the well. Jack and the well… The cork? I thought it was a metaphoric but no the island really has a cork…made me laugh so much…So the emotional impact was really gone for me.
And then they got to sing kumbaya-all together in a church…seriously?
I know this show was about the characters and that the mysteries where secondary…they where plot-devices I can live with that. But the finale just oozes with cheap-tear-jerking-scenes and the faith/friends-conquers-all-message really made me a little sick in the stomach (I guess it’s necessary for most (religious) americans to have a happy ending) :wink:
I did like lost (especially the first seasons, then it stalled, it got a little better in season 5; but season 6 and the finale did crash it totally). So no I haven’t wasted my time but I expected more…much more.

Just my 5 cents

GRtz
T

What about the show was not a “hard to believe situation?” Time travel, talking to the dead, moving an island, coming back from the dead, people living hundreds of years? --I think the people who spent time pausing the TV and reading the names of the books in the background an over analyzing every little thing might have been disappointed. But for me, who was just watching for enjoyment I liked it. Well, the dog was a little much. haha.