London 2012 - Mascots Revealed

I like them a lot better when I think of them as subversive masonic anarchists… subliminal messages to the young’ins?

Here’s my proposal: SOCKY.

I’m against the use of mostly middle class monies to fund a spectacle that benefits the mostly upper class. Therefore, why make a mascot around the concept of a toy that we need to market?

The most creative part about Socky is that children around the world could make their own. I don’t know how widely used socks are, but I feel confident that most children could find one cheaply (ie free). With the help of their parents, sew the buttons on. To give it a 21st century twist, why not make a Facebook page/etc where kids could post a picture of their Socky? That would be hot!

Any other ideas?

LOL! that really did make me laugh. Could be quite a nice idea though children making their own socky

You’ll be sued by the Irish TV studios for infringing on their own socky: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/20/Socky_1998.jpg/200px-Socky_1998.jpg, roight? LOL

As for the British mascots, I’m quite shocked. This just shows how much Britain has lost its identity. The mascots are completely “random”, and that can only be a bad thing. This does not represent the image of Britain that we all love.

Man, that would be awesome for the World Cup. Socky the soccer sock.

(also, saying socky with a massive british accent, makes it even funnier)

Britain is great drinking nation, so this is my mascot for london 2012.
Mascot.jpg

I’m with Fast company on these:

The Best Olympics Have the Ugliest Mascots - London 2012 Is Going to Be Awesome

Wow…a lot of Olympic angst in this thread.

Having just witnessed the Olympics here in Vancouver there are a LOT of things that I can draw from to add to this thread.

The first being that Van_ID was bang on. It is so easy for people to get press by complaining, that all you hear heading up to the event are the complaints. Once the Olympics arrived, the complaints go away. This statement is mostly targeted at Mr-914 for an off target comment about the Olympic’s being a class discrimiatory product. Even if you couldn’t see an event in person, ANYONE was able to participate in the Olympic Event. Free was the majority.

Ironically, I look at those mascots and I see the same marketing minds behind them that were behind TV shows like Boobah and Teletubbies. There is something about the British mindset that seems to have the ability to make something that to an adult it looks like it was designed while smoking crack, but to a child it is something that completely entrances you.

The success of the Vancouver mascots was partly due to their cuddly nature. But the true genius behind them was the story behind them. The kids loved the story of these four mythical creatures. The fact that they were cuddly was icing on the cake. If these mascots follow that formula, I am sure they will be successful.

The target market for these things are 3 - 12 year olds. We can’t relate to that as adults.

If you don’t like the mascots, make your own. Fatso the Fat-Arsed Wombat:

from wikipedia:

Fatso the Fat-Arsed Wombat was an unofficial mascot of the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympics created by Sydney cartoonist Paul Newell with Roy and HG from the Australian Channel Seven sports/comedy television program The Dream with Roy and HG, which covered the event. He took the form of a life-size stuffed toy wombat with a lazy, cheerful expression and comically pronounced rump, and usually appeared on The Dream broadcasts on Roy and HG’s desk.

Fatso was a spoof of the official Olympic mascots Syd, Ollie and Millie, whom Roy & HG disparaged as “Syd, Ollie and Dickhead”. He was nicknamed “the battlers’ prince” and proved to be more popular among Australian fans (and some visitors who viewed the program) than the official mascots. Fatso appeared with Gold Medalists Susie O’Neill, Grant Hackett and the Australian men’s 4×200 metre relay team on the winners’ dais. He consequently appears on an official commemorative postage stamp of the Australian men’s 4×200 metre relay team in the arms of Michael Klim (second from the right). During the Olympics, the Australian Olympic Committee attempted to ban athletes appearing with Fatso to stop him upstaging their official mascots. The ensuing public relations disaster forced the president of the AOC, John Coates, and the director general of the IOC, Francois Carrard, to distance their organisations from these attempts.

At the end of the Olympics, Fatso was auctioned for the Olympic Aid charity, selling for AU$80,450 to Seven Network executive chairman Kerry Stokes. Fatso is currently housed in a glass box in Kerry Stokes’s North Sydney office.

In keeping with Fatso’s role as a protest against the commercialization of Olympic mascots, only two Fatsos were officially produced: one for use in the studio and the other for use in the athletes’ village. A number of unofficial Fatso toys and memorabilia were sold by merchants without authorization from the producers of The Dream. A statue of Fatso appears as part of an official Olympic memorial outside the Sydney Olympic Stadium, commemorating the volunteers who worked during the Olympics.