light color and design at pratt

i am a transfer student at pratt and although i could have placed out of light, color, and design, i signed up for the course because i did not feel as if my background were really sufficient for ID. in fact, i chose to transfer to pratt because of its emphasis on foundation skills! i have heard from most older students, however, that the course was not worth the effort. i also hear that in contrast to the name of the course, it is really a typical color theory class and that there is little emphasis on general 2D design and aesthetics such as page composition. i have also heard that there is little practical application of theory covered in class. i am willing to work hard if i will get something in return, but i do not want to waste my time if i don’t have to. who knows - maybe the info i learned in my color class years ago will come back to me when i need it. can any students give me any advice?

I took Physics, Chemistry, Additional Maths, elementry Maths, Biology, Geography, History and 2 languages before college. I thought it was a total waste of time and I was taking them because I had to. Now I find that even though I can’t remember most of the specific equations or dates I studied, I have learnt the logic of reasoning in each of those different fields.

We have color and light class here too. It’s the most demanding class among the foundation classes. I don’t think any foundation class should be neglected. All of them serve very important purpose in building your foundation skills, whether or not you are going to use them directly. I bet you will miss them after sophmore year cus everything you will be doing will be ID and you will wish there is something different to do.

You need to take everything for what it is worth.
I don’t go to Pratt - but I went to art school - and for the most part, you get what you give.
If you have specific needs/wants (expectations are another matter) then you should talk to a professor about it (one who won’t blow smoke) and let them know.
Even if it won’t meet your criteria, you’ll learn a lot more than not taking it. Even if the lesson is - something things are pointless.

i really recommend the course yet you gotta sign up for the right professors. Fromboluti is pretty good and i just dont like haimes. she messed up my vocabulary.

It’s been about a decade since I took these classes at Pratt. More than any other class, this one requires a teacher that you connect with. Dennis Masbach and Iona Fromboluti are quite good. Prof. Fromboluti is more organised and Prof. Masbach is more organic in his teaching.

Also, insist on David Brown for 3D. He is one of the few 3D professors who makes a real living outside of teaching. Lenny Bacich is also quite good. Brown is quite functionally oriented. Lenny teaches a more traditional sculpture approach. He is teaches how to pure, organic forms, but is quite weak in teaching the mechanics of actually constructing anything.

I took Fromboluti for drawing and she teaches a highly observational approach to drawing. I learned alot about the mechanics of drawing and composition from her, but very little about applying this to imagination. Luis Alonzo is better for that, but falls short in page composition. Both of them think in lines instead of tones, so you may need to find that somewhere else.

Best of Luck.

Best of Luck

dunno if this is too late, but…

LCD did nothing to prepare me for ID at pratt (I took it last year). I think it’s too late now to drop- you basically learn color theory and some basic painting techniques (mabye). In ID you’ll eventualy (hopefully) take a class with martin, who teaches transportation design, and he’ll teach you how to compose a page, draw, and use color like there’s no tommorrow. I haven’t had him yet, but I can’t wait =)

ps. he’s the guy doing funny exorcises on the front lawn

for all of the info regarding the foundation classes at pratt! the advice regarding professors is very helpful - it may be a bit too late for me to switch professors at this point (yet not to late to drop), but i can still use the info for next semester!

regarding light, color and design, it seems as if the prof makes a tremendous difference - with one of you highly recommending the course and another not finding it worthwhile at all. i didn’t read anything about leslie brown, however - do you have any opinions about her course? (somebody had recommended my taking her class.) also, if i can take color with martin skalski as tessa had suggested, does it even make sense to finish up this semester in foundation? is his course really that comprehensive?

and regarding drawing, how important is it to be taught to apply drawing skills to your imagination? i guess i always assumed that that would come naturally once i learned how to draw from observation (whenever that is!). knowing that fromboluti has a very observational approach, you still recommend her? what about a professor like kim sloan who, i heard, has a more emotional approach to drawing?

again, thanks so much!

I graduated from pratt in 2003, I had Beerman for lcd and he was a pretty awesome guy, but a terrible teacher, i had to really pull as much knowledge as i could from him and what i got was well worth it and it came in very handy in the id department as well as in what i do now.

DO NOT go into Martin Skalski’s class blindly, I am not going to knock him like a lot of people do but you need to understand the approach he takes, chances are you will either love it or hate and you will be able to figure that out long before you take his class if you do a little recon work and pay attention to what comes out of his class.

I agree completely with what “Pratt Alumnus” had to say about the 3-d profs. If you have a chance, take David Brown currently he only teaches foundation 3-d, Once you are into the ID department i would highly recomend taking Kim Walters for at least one semester of 3-d he teaches in a completely different way than the rest of the Pratt 3-d department it may not be any better or worse but it is different and i guarantee he will teach you to critique yourself and others much better than anyone else in the department. I took two semesters of the typical Pratt RRK/Bacich 3-d and two semesters with kim, while i understandd what i learned by carving plaster abstractions, i value my time with kim much more and a lot of what i learned in his class carries ove into my daily life. Kim also teaches history of ID take him for that he is very passionate about design and that makes it much easier to learn.

the best thing you can do is just go up to the 4th and 5th floors and look around, see what work comes out of what classes and of that which you identify with.