Learning 3D rendering

Where did you learn 3D rendering

• In a University course
  • On your own
  • Training course

0 voters

I’m curious where everyone learned 3D rendering. SpeckofDustin was saying in another thread that he learned Maya through trial-and-error. I know I learned everything I have on my own too.

Also, how much do you think you have left to learn? What do you want to learn?

My professors taught us the basics of Photoworks, Alias’ Rendering Tools, and ImageStudio, then expect us to master them on their own, so kind of a hybrid of both.

Learned nothing in college about rendering.

Taught myself Maya, Aliasstudio, Maxwell and a few others.

I found the best way to do it was to find someone who did a nice rendering and pander them for the file so you can check out their lighting setup, materials, etc. Once you amass a basic knowledge of the settings and a decent collection of materials things get a lot easier.

I learned on my own as well… Then wrote rendering tutorials for 3d studio before it was ported over to the PC from the Amiga in 1988 :wink:

Now I get to sit in on rendering classes at design engine. Calphalon (Atlanta) is at Chicago design engine for an alias rendering week this week.

Sounds familiar… I learned on my own as well. Basically was thrown 3D max and told, alright, make a 30 second movie.

Some basic studio photography background is quite helpful with lighting setups, you can mimic real life pretty closely if you get the settings right.

In hindsite tho… I wish I took a class. I would have saved myself years of struggle.

I don’t think there’s much to “learn”…

When we were first “taught” Pro-E in engineering, the tutor introduced the software by saying something like, “This software is much better than AutoCAD cuz the sketch changes if you change the dimension”…wow!!!

I picked up pretty much everything on Pro-E by myself…and the workflow is the same with any other software…it’s just the interface that differs, and that’s pretty much whatever’s there to “learn”.

As for rendering, I don’t think it’s any different from sketch rendering…libraries & lights take care of pretty much everything. And again, it’s just the interface that you need to get around with.

I picked up pretty much everything on Pro/E by myself too. That is why I designed the Pro/E classes. To administer the class like how I wanted to learn. Its the class I wish I could have taken if I were to ever come off the cash to take a class. Basically training for engineers who wish to work with industrial designers. That is a really big market actually.

I took some classes at a reseller and it sucked so bad I quit. I knew more than the instructor. … cabling and electrical wiring software training. I also took top down class at Caterpillar 1998 and had already more complex and nested top down models working in the CAB group there than the instructor realized was possible. And that reseller thinks designers are artists. So sad I did not even laugh.

Now we have Dustin in Chicago but he has not stopped over to say hi yet. so Sad

I’ve learned on my own, but I wish I would have just taken a class. It’s ironic, but most of what I learned was from a pain-in-the butt client that kept telling me my render wasn’t realistic enough for him to make a decision!

I still feel like I have some things to learn though. I’m pretty good, but I always feel like there is something missing from my renders that I see in other peoples. I’ll try to find something that is in the public domain tonite and toss it up for feedback. We’ve never done that for 3D before…but we should!

Lastly, the results are a big surprise for me! 3D rendering represents half the rendering I do. How come universities aren’t spending any time teaching it? It seems ridiculous.

Well… its a problem with ID students now. They play with rhino in High School and the ID professor has to convice them not to use computer but to draw by hand. To a young mind this seams like a step backwards but they got to learn to sketch. It a big problem.

I second that…

Ouch. :blush:

We were ‘taught’ rhino (instructor pointed us to the tutorials) but that wasnt enough. I learned v-ray and Solidworks on my own, now Im thinking of trying out Maya.

Best thing I did was experiment. You find out what works and what doesnt.

I think that we learned on our own because the resources were either not available or very expensive. Thats changing now. I wish that more design ninjas would teach at the schools.

I learned to model in rhino in a couple of my classes at UI-Chicago. There was alot of “take it to a more realistic level on your own” for many of us. We were shown how to render out using standard plugins like flamingo. But anyone who wanted to get realistic visualizations had to put alot of work into it on their own.

I taught myself how to use the rhino+vray plugin during my senior year and now Im glad I did that… so much more powerful. I can get some great images out of that and the learning curve was not too bad.

Learning that before graduation has now led to being able to smoothly move into using max+vray at work, which is even more powerful.

learned a few 3D programs in high school like Solid Edge and AutoCAD but didn’t start rendering until Jr. Year at Auburn using Rhino, Solid Edge, Flamingo, and Maxwell Studio

i couldn’t agree more; this is, right now, one of the biggest educational challenges. and, over and over again that question: “…but in x , students are using y, why do we have to learn z? i’ve heard y is so much better than z”.

I was taught a semester of Solidworks and a semester of Rhino with a few freeform and Alias seminars on the side. My teachers felt that it was best to introduce us to a bit of everything so we’d have enough of a foundation to jump to whatever we were most comfortable with/what our employers wanted us to use. Rendering packages were pretty much a free for all. I agree with what someone else here about seeing sketching as a step down from CAD. Not being comfortable with drawing, it was easy to cling to the thing that produced stunning visuals. It took me a few years to realise that my exploration process was severely weakened because of that.