learn how to spell

One thing i’d add to the skills every student who is serious about presenting themselves professionally needs to learn, is how to spell!

It’s incredibly basic, but have a look at the shocking level of illiteracy in some of these otherwise informative forums and you’ll see what I mean.

Come to think of it, maybe you won’t, so I’ll give you at least one major clue – when ‘your’ writing about something, ‘your’ is NOT spelt ‘your’ – it’s ‘you’re’, as in the abbreviation of ‘you are’!

Whatever job skills someone claims to possess, if they can’t be bothered to learn how to spell properly or learn really basic grammatical skills, what does that say about their attention to detail when it comes to important design jobs?

There’s nothing worse than an important client seeing a presentation full of grotesque speling errors that a twelve year old shouldn’t be making.

Wise up guys – just because you’re a designer doesn’t mean you can ignore the power of language and communication in every other field…

And yes, spelling does have two ‘l’s’…

That’s pretty funny!

I find people make spelling mistakes all the time when posting or emailing. Why? Because we tend to scan things on screen more than we would if it were printed out.

My suggestion for students when responding by email is, of course spell check but also print out your message and then read it. You will catch more errors that way.

marketworks,

You really need to get a better understanding why spelling has become more of a problem than ever. Hey even you made a spelling error in your post.

Have you guys ever thought about the percentage of dyslexia among designers?

I’m not defending the misspellings, just want to enlighten the fact that a lot of artistic and creative works are done by people with dyslexia, because they are uncomfortable in more “academic” contexts.

Think of the message instead of the spelling to get there…

A forum post is not a professional document. Judging a person’s grammatical skills by the spelling accuracy in their posts betrays an apparent predisposition to jump to conclusions. One unfounded assumption may be that poor online spellers are writing in their native language, or the language to be used in future professional activities. The internet (this forum!) is populated with people from many different countries and it’s probably safe to say that at least a few do not and will not work in English-speaking environments.

One thing that I would add is that sentence structure is also a sign of professionalism. That said, the very first sentence in this thread is not, in my opinion, indicative of someone ready to judge anyone.

One thing i’d add to the skills every student who is serious about presenting themselves professionally needs to learn, is how to spell!

Now that is an example of a poorly-written sentence. I would have written something much more efficient like:

One thing I’d add to the aspiring student’s professional skillset is a high-level command of the appropriate language.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

No dissorder here, it was “Phonics” that screwed me.

I read somewhere that a high percentage of creative people are bad spellers. Theoreticly having to do with being right brain dominant. When confronted with the problem of not knowing how to spell a word, the creative person automaticly rellies on the right brain to sound it out. While a left brain person would automaticly call up all those memorized rules and variations. It might be rubbish, but it’s how I rationalize my poor spelling.

A little anicdote, at my first job my director’s name was Aaron. One day we where joking around about spelling in the studio, and he dug up all of our cover letters from our application portfolios. Every single designer had misspelled his name, even though it was clearly listed in the job adverts we all saw. Most of us speler it Aron or Aarron, one even did Aarronn…To any students out there, don’t do that.

I’ve always wondered why so many design student/teachers/professionals can’t spell well. And some even state their poor spelling abilities as a sign of “designerness.”

Most of designers, and myself are definitely right brained, there’s no question about it. But aren’t we supposed to have a better visual memory than the majority of people? just from all that “looking” one has to do in a design profession?

I am an excellent speller in my native language, when i have spelling questions I just try to remember how the word looks when written or printed. I don’t try to memorize the order of letters or even what letters are in the word,only how the word looks…I just wish I could do the same with punctuation.

blaaaaaaaaaablaaaablablablaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaablabla

I agree. Learn how to spell. I’m a designer and rarely spell words incorrectly. If I do, it’s because I’m tired, or just scanned over my post too fast. (My grammar could probably use some work though!)

Many of the people I work with can’t spell and are too lazy to try. I have to admit, it doesn’t impress me. When I come across something that is free of errors, it catches my attention. Come to think of it, that’s pretty sad… !

Knowing how to spell demonstrates someone’s attention to detail and their observation skills. I really think it’s important and I find it disappointing when people can’t be bothered or think it makes them more ‘designerly’.

A designer who can’t spell should at least attempt to better himself/herself, but your annoyance seems overstated. Unbutton the top button, take the hangar out of your shirt and relax, it’s just an online forum. Bad spelling is the least of our worries in here. With all of the slander and insults flying about one might think someone is running for president.

A professional should ensure that any writing for employment is correct in both spelling and grammar. Grammar is as equally, if not more important than spelling. Grammar is all about the broad concepts of communicating an idea. It seems much more conceptual than spelling. Spelling is often just rote memorization. A monkey can memorize things without thinking about them.

Now a designer that can’t design, that I have a low tolerance for. Bad spelling I can see beyond, but bad design is ugly.

If spelling is so important to you then complain to the folks at core… where’s the spell check for this forum?

Otherwise take a chill pill.

I found this rather amusing.

One time I worked with a chinese production lady. The poor thing was a victim of misguidance in spelling and even pronunciation from god knows who before she worked with us. One time she kept asking for dick from me in email and in person. I was shocked because I didn’t know what she was talking about. Eventually she grabbed a CD and shook at me while yelling dick to me. I found it very funny and didn’t have the heart to correct her. In fact nobody did. We all thought it was funny when she would go around asking for dick. I guess I’m just as guilty as the person before me, but it was just too funny to ruin.

Based on the examples in that article I can say the core boards aren’t that bad. That includes our friends who post with English as thier second language. (Yeah I know that last sentance is wierd.)

I don’t understand why poeple would even put up such an eurocentric post to point out people’s spelling ability. I think people like that should learn that first the www actually stands for World Wide Web not english speaking countries only web. You shoudl be glad that people who don’t speak english actually try to communicate with others.Secondly, who cares if poeple can’t spell especially posting on line. its not like they are getting paid to post on here. most of the time people post on line are just quickly express themselves its not like they are writing an academic journal or anything. Thirdly, you never know if people have some kind of learning disability, which inable them from spelling properly.

I think people complaing about stupid things like that really should learn how to respect others. As a designer I think one should learn about others differences in order be able to become a good designer, have to remember that you are not the only person that live on this planet; your culture is not the only culture that is in this world.

I don’t understand why poeple would even put up such an eurocentric post to point out people’s spelling ability. I think people like that should learn that first the www actually stands for World Wide Web not english speaking countries only web. You shoudl be glad that people who don’t speak english actually try to communicate with others.Secondly, who cares if poeple can’t spell especially posting on line. its not like they are getting paid to post on here. most of the time people post on line are just quickly express themselves its not like they are writing an academic journal or anything. Thirdly, you never know if people have some kind of learning disability, which inable them from spelling properly.

I think people complaing about stupid things like that really should learn how to respect others. As a designer I think one should learn about others differences in order be able to become better. You have to remember that you are not the only person that live on this planet; your culture is not the only culture that there is in this world.

I moved this to the general design discussion…because it was more general, but pehaps it should be in off topic?

BTW I cantspelsogud either.