Leaping without looking?

I recently discovered this gem called Core77 and I’ve been reading a lot of the topics in the forum. I left a big respected university to “explore my options” at a community college. After painting, drawing, ceramics, graphic design, and one 3D design class all within a year, I decided that I want to study industrial design. Sometimes I think I made this decision too quickly, given that I have not even taken a rendering class yet. I expect a lot of hard work in the years to come at the school I will be transferring to. My idea is that having an industrial design BS can lead to many other opportunities in design, such as working with furniture or packaging. Would ID be considered a flexible background to have for all areas of design? Or am I carrying a misconception and will be bound for disappointment? Thanks for any advice.

It is a very flexible degree. It all depends on your skill set, motivation and inclination.

Out of school I worked for a design consultancy that did Toys, Footwear, Housewares, Eyewear, Watches, kitchen appliences, Corporate Interiors, Electronics, Medical devices, and Cameras for about five years. That type of experience right out of school will further lay the groundwork for a flexibel career, but you have to actively manage it to prevent being pigion holed.