Last Time for Decision..CCA vs SCAD

As far as employers that hire from SCAD, I don’t really pay attention to that since what matters isn’t who employs who, but rather what are the starting salaries and the position you get.

This should matter, as it is what you get out of your education. Your starting salary is not based on what school you went rather than based on who you work for.

As far as my comment on offices, if you call a cubicle an office, then all professors do have one; to me an office is more of a room that’s private…

You really do have a lot to learn about the world. I work for M&M’s/Mars (you know we have those small little brands M&M’s, Snickers, Milky Way, Twix, etc…) and there is not one office in our building. Even our CEO sits in a cube. It is a much larger cube but it is a cube. It is called an open office environment and is more common than you may like.

I invite you to go take a peak at the Gulf-stream building and see for yourself.

I have been to the Gulf Stream Center. I am an Alumni from SCAD, so I think I may know a bit more about their capabilities than you.

The school isn’t even accredited. ( NASAD )

Do we really need to go into this again? Do you homework. This has been explained over and over again, no one cares about an accreditation.

As far as the equestrian center, state of the art no question there… However I would prefer my school to spend millions of dollars on equipment for the various departments rather that an equestrian center which was originally built for the president’s daughter

Once again you have much to learn in the world. Every School and company out there is going to spend money on programs and things that you may feel is a waste of time and money. This is the same with every school. Is the money they spent on the equestrian team effect the education of the ID students or any other degrees coming out of the school? The answer to that is no. They continue to expand the school, send people abroad, create new programs, build state of the art facilities.

I visited the I.D department, met faculty and Grad. students.

I would be interested to hear these comments. Ever student and alumni I have ever met from SCAD has been very proud of their school and continues to defend it on these boards. My advice to the ones that aren’t is to leave. Why pay so much money for an education if you are unhappy. Your college experience is part the school but it is also what you make of it.

I am not trying to convince you, but rather answer Henrywood original question. I am sure he can make up his mind. There is no need to be so confrontational.

Interesting…LOL FYI, I have been a designer/creative director for over 15 years and I own a very successful company ( Film/television). I have done very well for myself and have decided to take a hiatus and go back to school as I have always wanted to get an advance degree and learn more about Industrial Design. As as far as learning about the world I think I might be ahead of you in that regard.

I know M&M Brand very well since I worked on their advertising campaign (television commercials with Will Winton and TBWA/Chiat/Day) for many years. One of my best friend was actually a V.P at Mars years ago, so I know the company fairly well, She worked for their pet food business ( Purina ) probably in the same building you work at. Small world.

Obviously you are defending your Alma Mater and you do sound quite hurt by my comment I can understand that… The other schools I visited / applied to were: Stanford, Art Center, RISD and Cranbrook. I invite you to visit any of those schools, I think you might get my point or maybe you won’t… It’s not so much that SCAD is a bad school, I don’t think it is, but maybe the other schools I visited were of a different caliber, were students work 16 hour/day and have not much of a social life. SCAD felt very easy going and relax compare to those other schools, nothing wrong with that. This isn’t what I am looking for myself.

I get what you are saying and sorry if I came off a bit confrontational, I am just getting really tired of defending my school. I have visited other schools and there are some really great schools out there, but that is not to say that SCAD is not to the same caliper as say RISD. The students there did work 16+ hour days and an all nighter was not an uncommon thing.

My point to the original post was that every school is different and some work for some while some work for others. This does not mean that one is better than the other just that you need to find the education that works for you. It does strike a nerve with me when people come on these boards and bash schools. Until you have personally attended the school you really have no idea what the educational experience is. Also as you probably know college is what you make of it. If you want to screw around and not do your work than you are not going to learn any thing but if you work you ass off you will come out with a great education.

I couldn’t agree more, and although I want the best possible school for my Master’s and got lucky enough to actually get accepted in all the schools I applied to, I like to point out that the clear majority of the “A” list designers I have worked with or met during my career didn’t come from top schools ( of course that hold true in my field which is entertainment design / post production… it is less clear in the I.D or in the Trans. design field where a strong Alumni network definitely helps ).
However in most cases the premise works: for example the biggest majority of Nobel Prize winners didn’t get an ivy league education. I would even go one step further and say that the best students don’t necessarily do better in real life… nor do people with a higher I.Q for that matter… A point expressed Malcom Gladwell latest book: “the Outliers” (A must read as it will definitely give you a different take on what success is)

Cheers.

In 2009, scad graduates had an 85% hire rate, one of the highest in the country. Don’t believe the hype- they have an excellent program and agreat track record in finding their graduates jobs. That’s why your going to school right.

Hey guys,

I’m not going to post with any intentions of prolonging this argument, rather share my honest experience and respond to a few comments that came up within this thread, hopefully making the thread starters decision a little easier. As I graduated from SCAD in May 2009 my point of view should still be pretty relevant.

I do want to start by saying that when I graduated from highschool, I had several teachers try and convince me to go to Pratt rather than SCAD, as SCAD had little name for itself, and honestly no one knew too much about it. This made the process of choosing which school to attend incredibly stressful. Even so, after looking at both schools, I personally felt SCAD was a better fit for me and though it did not have the same name, I was optimistic about everything it had to offer. My time at SCAD was great. I fell in love with the city and the weather. The people are great, and in general the id students tend to be a tight knit group of people. Though the school is pretty big, after the foundation year, the school seems to shrink as you spend almost all of your time at the ID/Furniture building Gulfstream.

It was mentioned above that the faculity is constantly changing. In the ID department there are several great teachers who have been teaching for years, (including Bob Fee as mentioned before), and at the same time, while I was there, there were a few professors who came and went. However, these teachers were mostly younger designers, who were very much involved in the industry, and only planned to teach for a short time before getting back out there, including Jon Kolko who is currently assoc. creative director at frog design. For me this was incredibly beneficial as what they had to share was always relevant and up to date with where the industry is now, and offered some new perspectives some of the more senior professors could not.

As for the equestrian center, I will admit, I was questioning the spending and some of the motives behind It when it was built. With that, I had never run into a situation where I saw another facility that was overlooked or in need of funding. They have paid for students to fly out to IDSA conferences and even sent groups of deserving students over to China to work with V-Tech. They hav always been great about hooking up studio classes with real companies.

I’m not sure about the 50% admittance rate, though I have noticed a lot of people being accepted to the school with relative easy. I really don’t know for sure what the motive is, but this maybe to ensure they have plenty of new students coming in and they continue making money. And whether or not that is morally correct, the school is still very demanding and quick to weed out just about everyone who should not really be there.

To say students work harder at one school than another, is as ignorant as to say one school produces good designers and another doesn’t. The work hours required to get through the id program at SCAD are incredibly demanding. As package ID mentioned, I became very familiar with 16+ hour work days and spent countless nights without sleep in the building. You realize quickly whether or not you love what your doing, as these hours would be miserable if I hated what I was doing. I found myself constantly around my peers, even in the middle of the night, which also helped maintain motivation throughout a project.

After graduating, especially in these times, finding a job is extremely difficult. I was incredibly lucky to get a job, weeks after graduating for a P.O.P company. Though I am always learning, I felt very confident starting my first job with the skillset I left with.I know many people who graduated with me who did find jobs in the field relatively quickly, and many others who are still looking. Though the school does help it’s graduates, this is mostly on you.

All I can really say is, if I had to do it all over again, I would chose SCAD again (even with the massive student loans I had to take out…) I hope this helps clear some things up for you henrywood, and if you have any other questions about anything, don’t hesitate to ask!

If someone mentions SCAD and the merits of their accreditation one more time I’m going to puke. :imp:

Hahaha Agreed.