Last Time for Decision..CCA vs SCAD

so far i only visited SCAD, and i really like it there…everything is just like what acidmonkey on his post and i totally agree with him…but there’s just something that’s holding me back…haven’t check out CCA…but don’t think i will tho…too far…anyone went to CCA that can share their experiences? and to all the people that graduate from SCAD…is it true that SCAD does offer a lot of opportunities to the student in the future…? because i also saw a lot of posts saying that lots of students couldn’t get anything afterwards…that’s probably the only things that worried me.

If SCAD is willing to give you a scholarship and you want to focus in ID - then that’s the choice I’d make.

If theres issues with travelling - just think very carefully before you sign those admissions papers.

It might take a few hundred to a few thousand dollars to visit a school. It will cost at LEAST $10-20,000 + a year of time if you decide to go to a school and transfer out a year later because you hate it.

it sounds like you have lots of options, if you are certain ID is right for you then some schools are eliminated, it you’re not - then the school with the most options including: in-state transfers into a better school for a change of major, internship opportunities to really explore a feild, etc. that would be my recommendation.

hi Im an highschool senior also deciding schools at this point.

I go to an arts boarding high school currently and we are exposed to a lot of school information that has been accumulated for decades.
first of all

no disrespect to people who attend/attended SCAD, but It is not considered a good school. They have a nice website and brochure, but that doesnt mean its a good school. I have heard that their faculty line changes every year, and the president said himself that his view on art is more of a business. Im sure there are splendid artists that have gone through SCAD, but our school faculty members strongly discourages the program there. (our school has produced two presidential scholars from youngARTS just this year, and numerous regional/national gold keys from scholastic competitions, and having our school name on a highschool transcript pretty much opens up almost every art school door, so Im sure my teachers know what they are talking about.)

For MICA, oh before I tell you about MICA, name value and rankings dont mean much…youll see many professionals elaborately explain about that here on core 77.
Yes MICA is a good school indeed, at one point in history, it had one of the best painting department in the US.(I guess it still sort of is.) but like you said, it is a more fine art heavy school.

Otis - My friend goes there and based on what she says, I would have to conclude its like the SVA of the west coast. thus meaning also not ID heavy. but yes, it is an “ok” school.

The schools you listed are not very design heavy in overall, but yes, they are some of the good art schools in the US.

schools that have based their reputation on design would be

RISD
Pratt
College Creative Studies (detroit)
ACCD
Parsons
Cincinnati (UC DAAP)

and also maybe -

academy of art college
kendall

If you are applying undergrad, you still have time for CCS.
For the rest of the schools, although im not sure, deadlines for fall semester09 have probably passed already.

no disrespect to people who attend/attended SCAD, but It is not considered a good school. They have a nice website and brochure, but that doesnt mean its a good school. I have heard that their faculty line changes every year, and the president said himself that his view on art is more of a business. Im sure there are splendid artists that have gone through SCAD, but our school faculty members strongly discourages the program there. (our school has produced two presidential scholars from youngARTS just this year, and numerous regional/national gold keys from scholastic competitions, and having our school name on a highschool transcript pretty much opens up almost every art school door, so Im sure my teachers know what they are talking about.)

No disrespect to high school students or person’s who make ignorant comments, but…
– it is actually considered a great school
– have you been there? or just looked at the brochure that you’ve mentioned? visit SCAD, then visit some other programs- the college/facilities are absolutely top of the line
– the president himself? the president of SCAD is a woman, Paula Wallace
– …and she most likely said something to the nature of - “SCAD prepares students for the real world of being a professional in the creative field”- you will see that this is very important after high school, painting and drawing pretty pictures is useless unless you can speak and market yourself in the business
– my favorite professor has been teaching at SCAD for many years (unable to find exact start date), he was nominated for the IDSA educator of the year award in 2008, his name is Bob Fee, 30+ years of experience in ID, etc
– your teachers and faculty should check themselves before giving one-sided and ignorant advice to eager potential students

First off, I am not go to be as nice as Taylor. You know no students from SCAD, you have never been there, and you really seem to know nothing about the program. How does this give you the right to judge if SCAD is a good school or not. Also what do your school faculty really know about the school as well. Have they been there? Do they know people that went there? Do they even know what ID is, or is it you art teacher telling you that the Painting dept sucks? If so this is not true either.

Here is a list of the companies that have hired SCAD ID grads.
Adrenaline Power Boats
• Bombardier
• Buck Knives
• Crown Ltd. Yacht Furniture
• Designworks/BMW
• DMA Automotive
• Eclipse Product Development
• Electrolux
• Estee Lauder Companies
• Euphoria Inc.
• Fisher-Price
• Gulfstream Aerospace Corp.
• Hobie Cat Company
• Hunter Fan
• Intel
• Kickersound
• Kohler
• Lowe’s
• M3 Product Design Consultancy
• Mastercraft
• Midway Games
• Moser Design Group
• New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc.
• OBB Toy Design
• Procter & Gamble
• Regal Boats
• Samsung
• STX Lacrosse
• Sunbergferar
• Target
• Texas Instruments
• Universal Health Services
• Whirlpool
• Ziba Design Consultancy

Secondly, SCAD is a wonderful school. It is not only Taylor’s Amur odor, but mine as well. We both have great jobs, got a lot of wonderful experience in college and came out of there with a great degree. SCAD gives you first hand experiences with real customer and real people. In matter of fact, the company I worked for looked into taking a design project to them this year and they could not take it until the summer, as they are full with sponsored projects. If the school is so bad why do so many companies want to work with them?

So what I am saying is before you judge them take a look at the school, and this goes for any school. Go to the school, check it out. Every school is different just like every student is different with different needs. Just us telling you on this board about a school should not make you decision to go there.

so henry,

I think you are doing the right thing, looking at the philosophy of the school.
It is really not so much about “good” or “bad” schools but rather about the “right” and the “wrong” for you.

I have absolutely no interest in trans or sneakers. Does that mean I am not an Industrial Designer? No, it just means that I probably wouldn’t be very happy in a place like SCAD or Art Center which seem a lot more straight forward in the industrial side of things and maybe are not as experimental.

So it’s all about what you want to do and what you are into. Find the school with the right angle and you’ll be happy.

first of all obviously I have deeply offended some people

and I sincerely apologize

But please, I did say, no disrespect, and I also said Im SURE there are great splendid artists that have gone through SCAD

and Im sure any school with a design program can present an impressive lineup of companies they have affiliation with.

It was not hard(without surprise) to find discussions on what I have mentioned maybe without some solid evidence, but you can see that Im not coming from nowhere.

heres the link to the discussion

http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=1547&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=scad&start=0

and some exerpts from that discussion…

oh by the way, mentioning “Secondly, SCAD is a wonderful school. It is not only Taylor’s Amur odor, but mine as well.” is not convincing at all.

again, im sorry. It was not my intent to offend anybody…

This topic has been argued over and over again. What we are saying is that you can’t tell someone what is a good school and what is not a good school if you have never visited it and looked at the program. Posting a link to a discussion and the posting the negative comments is not a way to back up your argument. No disrespect to you , but you are a high school student that has no experience with the school, not only that but you have not even gone to college yet so you really do not know what kind of experience you will be having. If you go visit the school you will see that there is a solid program with solid professor along with solid grads.

Before coming on this thread and blasting a school do you research. Read the link you posted, and read the other links posted about the school. Also take a look at the ports that have come out of the school, the work speaks for itself.

Oh and to your point about maybe there are some good “Artists” that come out of SCAD. First off we are designers not artists. Secondly Every school has their bad eggs. Even the Art Center, RISD, and whatever other top name school you want to pick

One more thing to mention is that if you would like to have this discussion, you should take it to another thread instead of high jacking this one.

so in summary - go visit the schools. :laughing:

what works for us won’t work for you.

good luck!

You’re thinking of CalArts. CCA is another school, which has a pretty reputable ID program.

really depends on what type of education you want. there is only a few schools i would even consider in the US. look for ones that offer something to get you over seas with a exchange program. so worth it.

design Thinking, SF consultancy influences. CCA
Art and engineering Influenced SCAD
Design entrepreneurs Art Center
Concept Artist Art Center
Cars CCS or Art Center
most Real World experience, strong materials and process UC
creative engineer BYU.

Personally i like what UC has to offer. getting 6 internships puts you at a real advantage.

New york schools would be hard to resist the distractions. full dedication is the only way to be the best.

BTW: i went to CCS. unreal amounts of competition.

New york schools would be hard to resist the distractions. full dedication is the only way to be the best.

I see it the other way around, so much inspiration!

there is no school blasted on these forums quite the way SCAD is blasted. it seems to be based only on accreditation. never in an interview has someone asked to see my colleges accreditation. they want to see a solid portfolio. that being said go to the school that you think will help you build that solid portfolio. I am a bit unaware of their current professor line up but i do know that SCAD has had some of the best, many of which i am sure are still teaching there. I wish you luck in your college search and i would only listen to those blasting a college if they have attended it themselves or have hired multiple students from that school.

It seems the only people who ever blast it though are non-designer trolls who have no idea what they’re talking about. Unfortunately then people read that info, treat it as fact, and the vicious circle of internet idiots continues.

I agree, and it is getting very old.

I wouldn’t advice going to SCAD. Do you really want to go to a design school that spent millions of dollars on an equestrian center because the daughter of the president enjoy riding horses? Do you really want to go to a school that accepts 50% of people that apply? The professors there don’t even have offices… they are cramped in little cubicles.

I wouldn’t advice going to SCAD. Do you really want to go to a design school that spent millions of dollars on an equestrian center because the daughter of the president enjoy riding horses? Do you really want to go to a school that accepts 50% of people that apply? The professors there don’t even have offices… they are cramped in little cubicles.

Wow.

Thanks for your glorious two cents.

Idiots do exist. And this is proof.

I don’t like breathing air because its so thin, and sunlight is way to yellow for me.

Where is your sources for this information. Yes SCAD does have an equestrian team. Yes the FORMER owner of SCAD’s daughter liked to ride horses. They may accept more than you like (I don’t really know where the 50% number comes from) but the number that make it trough are much lower than the ones that start. And last I checked every professor I had at SCAD had an office.

Do you go to SCAD? Have you ever been to SCAD? Have you ever look at portfolios from SCAD? I think if you look around there a lot of extra curricular programs at art and design schools. I do not see anything wrong with that. Who is to say that design students can’t play sports? Before you bash a school have your facts straight and come up with an intelligent argument. Saying that a school has an equestrian team like it is a bad thing is not a case for it being a bad school. Take a look at the portfolios and the list of employers of the ID department, and I think you will notice that it speaks for it’s self.

Yes, I visited SCAD a few month ago. The 50% acceptance number came from the SCAD admission office, if you ask they are required to tell you, if you don’t believe me just ask them. RISD for instance takes in about 7% of applicants ( this is for the Grad I.D. program which is what I am applying to) I visited the I.D department, met faculty and Grad. students. As far as employers that hire from SCAD, I don’t really pay attention to that since what matters isn’t who employs who, but rather what are the starting salaries and the position you get.

I 'll like to add that I am not trying to bash SCAD but rather give an honest opinion. when I visited the school I came in with great expectations and was very excited about my visit, which from California came at great expense to me. I was shocked by what I saw. I have visited all the schools I applied to, and met with faculty and grad students in each of them to really get as much from my visits as possible. SCAD was by far, my opinion of course, the least impressive and uninspiring. I heard horrible and odd stories from students that were there and were quite unhappy… Like the equestrian center… As far as my comment on offices, if you call a cubicle an office, then all professors do have one, to me an office is more of a room that’s private… and I invite you to go take a peak at the Gulf-stream building and see for yourself. The school isn’t even accredited ( NASAD ).

As far as the equestrian center, state of the art no question there… However I would prefer my school to spend millions of dollars on equipment for the various departments rather that an equestrian center which was originally built for the president’s daughter ( co-owner of the school as well) . Again that’s just me.

I think my facts are straight and my remarks honest in the time I had to get a feel for the school. Sorry if it doesn’t agree with you.