laptop configuration need help immediately

i am the student of industrial design and into 3rd year now.
i inten to buy a laptop…
please suggest me the configuration on which i can work with softwares like PRO-E, SOLIDWORKS, ALIAS & Flash
the one i have looked for has…
1.7GHz Processor,
512 MB DDR RAM,
P4 with windows XP proffessional,
DVD-CD-RW combo drive.

Why not look at the Toshiba Tecra M4?

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/srch.to

It’s a Tablet PC so you can install Alias Sketchbook, which is an awesome program.

it’s on the heavy side, but that’s it.

This is one of the best desktop replacement computers out there and it is specifically designed for the most popular design applications. It’s going to cost you a bit more than other laptops. If you are looking for something to last you a long time and be very reliable, this is a great computer. If you don’t have the resources you should obviously look at something cheaper but this is my pick. If you are looking at doing freelance you can start your own company and declare this as a business expense.

Here are the specs and links, you’ll have to configure it to get a price but it’s going to be around $3,000 bare bones.

Specifications

Processors
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology up to 3.8GHz
800 MHz System Bus

Graphics
NVIDIA Quadro® FX Go1400
NVIDIA GeForceâ„¢ Go6800 Ultra

Memory
512MB PC2-4200 (533MHz) DDR2 Memory expandable to 4GB

I/O
1x PCI-Expressâ„¢ x16 (Dual Simultaneous Display)
1x PCMCIA Slot
1x PCMCIA Type II slot

I/O Ports
1x DVI Port
1x S/PDIF Output
1x Serial Port
1x External Keyboard/Mouse Port
1x Parallel ECP/EPP
1x RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
2x IEEE 1394a mini
4x USB 2.0/1.1
1x 5.1 Channel Audio I/O

Power
Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
Full range Auto-Switching 100V/240V AC Adapter
Power Management
Power On Suspend
Suspend on HDD/DRAM
Support ACPI v1.0B and APM v1.2

Storage I/O
Built-in 2.5" 9.5mm SATA drive
Optional 2nd Drive (IDE or SATA)
Up to 200GB total storage
RAID 0 or RAID 1 Hardware support with optional second hard drive
External USB 3.5"
1.44 MB Floppy
Built-in 7-IN-1 Flash Memory Card Reader

Optical Drive
Built-in DVD/CDRW combo drive
Optional DVD+/-R/RW Burner or Double Layer DVD+/-R/RW Burner

Display
NEW! 17”1920 x 1200 WUXGA GlassView Type Active Matrix Display

Dimensions
15.48"(W) x 11.75"(D) x 2"(H)
11.3 lbs. with Battery

Warranty
1 year

http://www.boxxtech.com/products/2300.asp

that thing is a beast.

You can get an awesome setup for $5000 even.

It’s still just a laptop tho. And it’s heavy as all Hell…11lbs! That’s crazy.

Hey you’ve got the full end of the spectrum: swiss army knife to the mechanics toolkit.

Personally I like having the right tools for the job.

but getting that still means you would want a smaller laptop for more mobile applications. A mechanic doesn’t walk around with his whole huge toolchest all the time, just like you don’t take your Desktop everywhere you go. A desktop replacement still doesn’t mean it’s easily portable.

Now, getting a desktop replacement book, and then a 3-4lb ultralite notebook would probably be a solution someone could deal with.

That’s one kick-ass machine! It seems pricey but worth it in the long run. I’ve been looking for something like it to work alongside my tablet m205.

Are there any mfgs that can provide a machine with the same/similar base specs? Cheaper? Any SFF units offer similar base specs? Thanks.

Anyone know how the Dell XPS Gen2 compares in performance (3d apps) compared to the Boxx (above)?

I have been researching this too, and this seems like the best option out there for the cost and powere… Dell Precision m70

I personally would rather have a sleeker looking laptop, but can’t afford much more

http://search.ebay.com/Precision-M70_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR9QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaetmZ1128020187QQsspagenameZADMEQ3aBQ3aSSQ3aUSQ3a21QQversionZ2

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-PRECISION-M70-W-UXGA-DVD-BURNER-2-0GHZ-1GB_W0QQitemZ6806134672QQcategoryZ42201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I love my Panasonic Toughbook, it’s got the highest screen resolution you’ll find in a laptop, great for CAD, Pro/E work. And it’s very rugged too, you can take it anywhere.

To run Solidworks etc. well it’s most important that you get a machine with a real workstation quality 3D graphics card, not some gaming toy. I’m typing this on a Dell M70. It ain’t pretty, but it runs Solidworks as well as my desktop. And it’s still reasonably portable, not like those 17" monsters. And the screen is gorgeous.

MM…I applaud you on your patience and post. How many times are people going to ask this same question?

I have a 17" monster and I love it. People fear me when i put it on a table in meetings. When I pull it out, eyes pop out of heads, fingers point, and drool hits the table.

this the the graphics hardware for the toughbook link you gave.

Display Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760:

15" 1600x1200 (UXGA) TFT Active Matrix Color LCD

ATI Mobilityâ„¢
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740:

15" 1024x768 (XGA) TFT Active Matrix Color LCD

Intel®915GME graphic controller

That doesn’t look like any recomended proE or Alias graphics hardware I’ve every seen

sorry, the graphics chip I meant. The screen is probably fine…

A Pentium 4 in a laptop makes no sense. Pentium-M processors deliver much more power-per-clock-cycle, run cooler and eat up less battery life.

All future Intel processors will be build around the Pentium-M architecture (including the processors to be used in next year’s Intel based Macs).

For comparisin, I easily run Rhino, 3DS Max. Solidworks, Premiere and Photoship on my one year old eMachines M5309 laptop with an AMD Athlon 2500XP-M processor and ATI graphics.

Yeah, it depends on which configuration you choose. The ATI Mobility option comes with the 1600x1200 LCD screen. It only has 32MB of dedicated video RAM, but that’s plenty for most CAD applications.

And to answer the original post, one important spec you should look for is screen resolution (not so much size). Especially when you run applications like Alias or Pro/E that have so many icons and menus that take up so much valuable screen space. Most displays are XGA (1024x768) which is barely enough, you should look for either SXGA (1280x1024) or UXGA (1600x1200).

Full of SHITE

I agree… full of it.

just because it has 32 mb of video ram doesn’t mean anything. when you venture outside of the proe/alias recomended graphics hardware, you cannot trust that it will work the same.

I have a $3,500 P4 2Ghz IBM desktop replacement laptop with a 750Mb or Ram and a 32 mb card. My company bought it for me 2 years ago. I didn’t research the graphics hardware enough… it doesn’t have OpenGL and it is was not recomended. It works, pro and alias run, but I have to tweak the crap out of the settings and run it at a lower resolution for decent performance. It is a constant hassel, I have to spend hours sometimes to get the graphic card to perform

Get Recomended hardware and you will not have this worry. Don’t get Intel integreated graphics. They are the bottom of the barrel.