Kitchy and "fad" design

I was looking at the chair in the picture of the current headline on the C77 homepage and the thought popped into my head…

What do think defines it and how do you think it can be avoided? (I am asserting here that it should be avoided)

For one thing, make sure your design is more interesting than the person it is placed in context with.

Remove the ego from the design and you usually end up with a better product. As far as the chair you’re referring to, maybe a little originality would be nice. This chair seems to have made the rounds at least a dozen times over the last few decades.

This chair is pretentious and impractical and ignores ergonomics. It represents the artist’s aspirations more than it does the needs of the user.

Remove the ego from the design and you usually end up with a better product.

mh, I don’t know if that is always true.
the “ego” often gives a piece its flavor, makes it personal.

A strong personal statement can be very refreshing in for example a furniture piece. Of course I don’t want any of that in my toothbrush, that one should just work.
Furniture is different, it’s not just a seating or dining surface but often a statement. I would say, Starck is the perfect example.