Kindle2 or Sony?

I am thinking about buying an E-book reader but not exactly sure which one I should get.

I was weighing my options between the Kindle2, Sony Reader Touch Edition, Sony Reader Daily Edition, and the Sony Reader Pocket Edition.

I know the Kindle2 has text to speech which is one thing that interests me but I am not sure if the Sony readers have that. I have trouble finding much on the Sony ones. All the readers above seem to have the same display type (which I like). Does anyone know the support for the Sony readers as far as having free, non-copyrighted, e-books available for download (which I have read the Kindle has (or Amazon…whichever))?

Thanks

iPad.

R

You were saying you were trying to decide between an iPad and an iPad? is that it?

Don’t poo poo me, but if you’re a serious reader the ipad or anything with a backlight is a big no no for extended reading. For the casual 20 minute read or a emagazine sure. Ipad all day, but if you’re going to be reading for more than an hour its not happening on the ipad. Reading text on e ink is a totally different experience, your eyes will tire very fast on a backlit screen.

I’ve used the second kindle and its great for a long read. I actually find it easier to read than printed books.

Got to disagree from personal experience.

1. I’m in front of a LCD iMac all day long reading and have never had an issue.

2. I’v read from an iPad for up to 4 hours at a time and never had an issue.

3. iPad is backlit so you can read at night.

4. iPad books look a helluva lot nicer, with graphics, better typeset, etc. Kindle books look like a 1984 monochrome monitor.

5. iPad can do more than read books. How many devices do you really want to carry around?

6. FWIW also recently had a hands on with the drobo reader. Lots cheaper than kindle. But felt super cheap too.

7. My hands on with the Kindle and Sony reader is limited, but in 2 minutes, just the slow refresh and reversing of colors when doing so along was enough to get me off it. iPad page transitions are super fast and awesome looking. :slight_smile:
    just my 0.02$ worth.

R

Sorry, RK, but you’re excluded from this discussion for no other reason than you’re too close to being an Apple fanboy. You’re dismissing two devices on less than 2 minutes use. :wink:

After talking to several users on both sides of the Sony/Kindle fence…Kindle is my current front runner. I want the iPad as well, but for a completely different use than a book eReader.

How many devices do I want? As many as it takes to do what I want to do in the best manner possible.

People who have the Kindle love it. I’d say go for the Kindle. The amazon ecosystem is really well built, too. So no problems there.

I guess if you want to shell out for an iPad, wait for the next one that’ll come out next year.

I like books… paper ones… :wink: Call me old fashioned, call me so 2008 if you will.

I understand the e ink is easier on the eyes, I just can’t see having a device with a processor and that needs to be synched and what not just to replace books. Maybe my mind will change with time. I already have to synch my smart phone, back up my laptop and my desktop computer… I just wouldn’t want another device, theoretically. I travel a lot and I’ll bring 4 or 5 books with me, but maybe if I test drove a kindle on trip it would be worth it?

I also love books (as you have all seen from my huge bookshelves). Travel I think is where the iPad really shines. Not only do I have books, but can do my email, movies on the plane, games, etc. Sure I’ll still bring my phone, but no need for a laptop.

R

I’m with you on that.

Give me an old fashioned book any day. I love the feel of a book in my hands. For some reason it’s hard for me to get into the ebook thing. Curling up in bed with another electronic gadget just isn’t right. I already spend enough of my day in front of a screen. The last thing I want to do is stare at yet another screen. On top of that… I really don’t feel like maintaining another gadget.

I’m all in favor of the traditional book over ebook readers. Maybe it’s partially the nostalgia of books that I like. I could not imagine trying to read Dick Powell’s Design Rendering Techniques on an ebook. I love the fact that my copy of this book feels old and used… not pristine like you would find in an ebook.

One other issue I have is with collector’s edition books. By digitizing books you start to lose the value of having a limited run or hard to find books.

True, but with a book, you need to remember to bring it. There have already been lots of situations where I have been someplace, already had my ipad, and had some time to kill, so just whipped it out and started (or continued) reading.

I do agree though that the feel of curling up on the sofa with a book is nowhere near the same as a tablet or e-reader. It is pretty amazing though that like a book, once you get into the reading on a tablet, the experience really falls away and becomes transparent.

R

I’ve gotten past the “nostalgia” aspect of books. Keeping books around for the sake of keeping books around is…hmmm…right word is escaping me…stubborn? I dunno…

Here’s where I’m going with this…

With the exception of libraries, there are going to be only a handful of books that you read more than once. I have (had) a bookshelf of probably 500+ books ranging from fiction to educational and most of them collect dust.

Now, one can argue that they’re all recyclable, they can be donated to a library, yada yada yada…but fundamentally, multiply those books across the population, you’re effectively wasting energy and resources to create a one off product. Far more wasteful in the long run than a single e-reader.

Now, on the other side of the fence, you have an electronic device. That uses a tremendous amount of resources, energy, etc. to create just one device as well. That device will likely have a lifespan of 5 years if treated well…especially if it has a non-removable battery. The past 5 years as an exception (young kids drastically reduced my reading quota), I was a 20+ book a year reader. Not voracious by any stretch, but a new book every couple of weeks.

Where does the efficiency graph cross? Put another way, how many books do I need to read in the course of 5 years to offset the resource consumption of my pre-E-Reader days?

I also agree with Seth Godin that they need to make the Kindle/Sony Reader much cheaper: Paperback Kindle | Seth's Blog

I would buy a $50 “paperback” Kindle.

I’m sure it will do well in time, I just think it will integrate into another device. Remember those super expensive video phone set ups (every corporate office has them)… and then you dee designers and engineers v-chatting on gmail, and not it is right on the iPhone.

Culturally there will be some hurdles. Most everyone on this topic so far is American, but in some other cultures, books are a sign of eduction, sophistication, and even wealth. In some cultures having bookshelves filled with book in an upper middle class family is a huge status symbol. I doubt they will give that up for convenience. Reading a little thriller mystery novel on a trip or a winter night, sure, but not the main books the person treasures. I read sci fi books like I drink water, fast and daily, I don’t keep them, those I could go to an eBook (or iPad) for, but other things I want in print… like my limited edition hardcover of Asimov Gold.

Maybe books will become like vinyl records. The majority of music going digital (iTunes, Pandora, ets) but there is still a market for vinyl for DJs, collectors, and hipsters. My brother certainly has a growing collection of vintage 40’s Jazz vinyl, it is special. I could see some books going that way.

I agree fully with this. I am pretty much on this page. I, like the OP for this thread, am simply looking for the right opportunity to buy a Kindle.

KINDLE 2 JUST DROPPED TO 189 to counter the Nook.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C