Karabo: New Zoom ZMR

Hi everybody. This is a simple concept for a Zoom air, ultralight and ultraflexible that will be recycled after used. A shoe that people can ball in at any time and feel free to trash it after they have used it. The upper is made of a lightweight shiny material similar to patent leather. The sole will be made of phylon or a material that will be lighter and cheaper. the shoe has a full length inner bootie to secure the foot and a TPU plate placed on the lateral side to provide support. Zoom ZMR

Karabo

Karabo-

It is great to see your passion and weekly new work. But I am not seeing growths on past projects. It seems you post a project, you get feedback on the projects and then nothing is re-designed or posted. I think seeing more progress on a project would be good before jumping to new ones.

Also to challenge you to post other views, top down/ toe down, outsole, a designed sock liner, some views that communicate how the upper will be constructed.

you mentioned “ultralight and ultraflexible” can you further explain how you have made it this way. I see the deep cuts (nike free) in the forefoot. But what else have you done to make it flexible or lightweight. Just having a phylon bottom I believe would not perform as well, I would suggest having some areas of rubber. The New Kobe has a more nike free type outsole could be helpful to ref.

a link that could get you thinking about insoles

kobe sole ref.

be well

Mm

Karabo-

Once again. you got the skills and we all can see that you can present a nice looking design. But i think what YO and dygitalvision are saying are very much on point. I would like to see your THINKING. SHow differnt views that make your story more. Just writing what you want it to be makes it very hard for the viewer to picture what you are talking about. Process is the key and every designer puts it in and just feel free to explore out of the box designs. I would tell you to take one of your designs yo have posted and:

conduct a story behide it that paints a picture to us
-SHow LOTS AND LOTS of sketches that you have explored
-Show the in use: you said it would be able to be recycled after used: State why it would be important to do this and why
-Just put the love into it and explore and create something that is going to push the design but also yourself as a designer.

Like D’Wayne Edwards tells me before you work anywhere or you are posting on sites or what ever. You have no limits on what you can do or a budget to work around. Just go crazy and make those who know the know think and see it as “oook i can see that”

Keep up the work man and tell me about your self and are you in design school?

Cubby

dygitalvision:
I took note on all the comments, and when i will have more free time i will sit down and work more o my past design. I do have sketches, but my scanner is to small, and i usually draw on 11 by 17. I took some pictures of some of the development sketches. I’m not that good with perspective,i’m still learning it.

cubbyG:
Im a student second term in Product Design…undergrad :slight_smile:

I like this design language which is pretty simple. And is Free tech idea so necessary for a BBall shoe?

Yes, free, when applied correctly for Bball can greatly improve performance imo. I like this design more than some of your past works, but the one thing I would take not of is the high lift in the arch. It’s so high off the ground that I don’t think any kind of shank would keep it rigid. I’d personally lower the arch so that the midfoot shank isnt so stressed.

Yes, free, when applied correctly for Bball can greatly improve performance imo. I like this design more than some of your past works, but the one thing I would take not of is the high lift in the arch. It’s so high off the ground that I don’t think any kind of shank would keep it rigid. I’d personally lower the arch so that the midfoot shank isnt so stressed.

Don’t hesitate to post more of just your ideation and sketching for feedback before you go illustrator on it! Looking at your quick marker sketch… I’d say its plenty to talk about and has more excitement in comparison to the illust stuff.

Karabo

Love the sketches man. Its ok draw as big as you want. Your 2nd term and you looking good. You say you have prob with perspective? I would look at some of the others who post on here or find an image of a shoe in perspective and trace it…Keep doing that until you can do it on your own. Underlays are ok to use to get what you are trying to get. We all use them and i myself use them all the time. You never get the sketch right the 1st time. Keep up the work man and get the story and what you want it to be 1st then use the comp to pop it up.

Shoes are just like any other products. There more the 1side to them. Give a walk around of the product to give us light on not just the side but the WHOLE

keep up the work and feel free to drop what your goals are and what you like to get into after school.

Thank you all for the comments, I usually dont have much free time because i have to run for school. i will find images of (perspective shoes and outsoles) and use it as an underlay to practice. Also, i have a book called rapid-viz, does anyone know it? not easy to learn from books… :confused:

Here is the outsole

Hello Karabo

no worries, you are learning, and I see through the silhouette of your shoe a very good understanding of proportions. I understand as well your attitude of doing something new, instead of reworking what has been done before.

There are different ways to learn, either by revisiting whats done or taking feedback and jump to the next attempt. sketching, and rendering is only one part of the job, and since u are not supposed to get through technical drawing and design packs, prototype review, sometimes questionable marketing requests…then have fun.

I think u are talented, I think passion will drive u through different ways to draw and approach footwear (prospective etc…)

BUT keep something in mind, if this is the job U dream of, please try to get as soon as possible an internship in one of the major companies.

you will be exposed to the right people, experienced, the one u can learn from wether it is all about function, constructions, material specifications, processes etc…

don’t forget, the sketche becomes a product one day, this product must be tested and approved by the dealers and the final consumer.

keep challenging yourself, think 5 years ahead minimum, imagine and draw what doesn’t exist, forget Free, foamposite, jordan, air, shox, project yourself in the future as if you were a Nike designer already.

again, what makes u different or special, what kind of benefit u can bring to whatever company?? Why Should I hire or trust in you???

because you are a student, Have fun, no limits, dont be a half copy cat,

inspire us, inspire them.

all the best

very good advice Antonell.