Karabo: Air Jordan 10.5

Hi everybody, i have been working on a design for the Air Jordan 10.5, a mixture between the Air Jordan 10 and the Air Jordan 11. I just want to share with you what i came up with. Any feedbacks will be welcome as i try to improve my skills. Thank you.

Karabo

hello karabo

first of all, please get my personal overall good apreciation regarding the shoes u have been posting lately,

the silhouettes are realistic, the lines are simple, clean, there is always a little unexpected shape, an overall harmony in what you are doing. the clors are fresh as well. these aspects are difficult to get at the first start.

Probably a professional habit, i am missing technical, or functional new stories like: if cushioning is not anymore the main aspect sought when speaking about footwear, basketball has a variety of lateral and linear movements that can drive you to new dimensions. ankle protection, shifting direction while running, a shoe that mimic the bare foot, in different ways of what feet u wear and free are doing, etc…

back to this topics between jordans 10 and 11, I remember one of the most crucial part of the 11th, the outsole was transparent, (was it the first full lenght transparent shoe in the market??? with an intersting carbon fiber plate. u could see through. I am definately missing this feature, that sensation of depth . If i had to evolve the concept of your shoe, i would start from techfnical or functional breakthrough and the pack it up with this kind of clean lines and silhouette in short, I would shift the value of this 75 € shoe to 149 € minimum

hope this helps

a good week

Hi antonell07

Thank you for the time you spent giving me comments and feedbacks. I really appreciate it because i learn from you guys here on core.

“i am missing technical, or functional new stories like: if cushioning is not anymore the main aspect sought when speaking about footwear, basketball has a variety of lateral and linear movements that can drive you to new dimensions. ankle protection, shifting direction while running, a shoe that mimic the bare foot, in different ways of what feet u wear and free are doing, etc…”

What you said here are really important things that i should think about and work on that while i’m designing a shoe. But, I am a student and i am still learning the technical part of footwear design by my self at home reading magazines and surfing the web to gain more info on footwear cushioning, ankle support etc…
To be honest with you, I feel that i need to learn more about the technical and functional aspect of footwear design.

"back to this topics between jordans 10 and 11, I remember one of the most crucial part of the 11th, the outsole was transparent, (was it the first full lenght transparent shoe in the market??? with an intersting carbon fiber plate. u could see through. I am definately missing this feature, that sensation of depth . If i had to evolve the concept of your shoe, i would start from techfnical or functional breakthrough and the pack it up with this kind of clean lines and silhouette in short, I would shift the value of this 75 € shoe to 149 € minimum "

For this design, i tried to keep mostly the main element of the Air Jordan 10 and change it a little bit in a new way. I just added on the upper the patent leather that was on the Air Jordan 11 to mix it a little bit. That’s why i didn’t design a clear outsole (transparent) like the one that was on the 11. The 11.5 should defenetely have the outsole transparent and the carbon fiber plate.

Thank you, i really learn from you. :slight_smile:

Karabo,

I like what you have done here. Personally, the teal is killin it for me on some of your concepts, but do what you do, man.

I think this could be taken a bit further as antonello stated…and how cool would it be to read the accomplishments through alternating strips of clear rubber and have it printed on the midsole? Just a thought.

Keep up the great work!

-TH

Hi tony!!

Thanks for stopping by and comments on my work :smiley:. I will try to keep the “great work” :slight_smile:. You are really good, and I hope that one day you will teach me some of your techniques (tricks) on marker rendering. :wink:

Karabo, Nice sketches overall. The proportions feel good and the shoe has a nice flow.

I would like to see more variations, most of the sketches appear to be the same concept with different colors. Try to do something fresh, and if it doesn’t work atleast your showing progression.

Karabo_

Nice rendering and sketches of course, but overall I would say this feels very expected and doesn’t step outside the box at all. Lok at the way the 1.5 used a foamposite like construction, the way the 9,5 used those fins you lace through… what can you add to the legacy, or do that maybe the original shoes where trying to do but couldn’t with the current technology?

proportionally the lateral view looks great, but the bottom view looks very flay, give that thing some form!

Hi Yo!! can i call you Michael? I’m so happy each time you show up on core and give us young some critics and tricks about what will make us one day good footwear designers. I learn a lot from you, and in less than a month i might say that my skills have grown fast. There is not a day that i did not learn something from people here. There is so much talent and people with knowledges. Every time that someone post a design or a topic here is like a new lesson for me. That’s how i learn.

Concerning my Design, i rushed a lot because i didn’t have much time to spend on it. I’m also a little bit lazy sometimes and i just want to get the work done as soon as possible.:smiley: I will redesign it but this time i will spend more time and work on each single elements of the shoe at a time.( no more rushing!!!)

God bless everybody here on core and make them more successful in life. :slight_smile:

No problem… and yes of course, Michael, Mike, or MD is fine, I’d prefer it actually.