just starting out

Okay so I’ve just graduated and starting the hunt for a job. From what I’ve read so far I should have started sooner, however this is where I’m at now. I’ve been to a few interviews and it’s been something like this: we like your stuff, you’re very professonal but you don’t have enough experience. Many of the job announcements say the same thing: require at least 2 years experience. I accumulatively one year of contract work but it appears that in order to get a better more perminanat position I need 2+ years. So how do I get those 2+ years in? Work at a copy center designing business cards? I’m putting my stuff all over the web… but now what? Call firms? Is that appropriate? Have any good advice?

I was pretty much in the same boat as you about 6 years ago. A few of the things I did:

1. offer to do a trial day or week. When confronted with the fact that I didn’t have enough experience, but my portfolio was hot, I offered to do a trial day on a non-paying project so they could see how i worked in their environment.

2. trial project. offered to work on a hypothetical project of the employers choosing.

3. and most successful, offered to work hourly for 3 months. If it didn’t work out, we could terminate the relationship.

I did all of these things for different employers for my first 6 months out of school, and I eventualy built an even hotter portfolio from all of this and got a kickass job.