just sketchin'

xxii sketches

football cleat sketches

nice variety of sketches.

are those football cleats amercian football or soccer? if soccer, check your overall proportions and collar height. look almost midcut. also check the number and placement of studs. looks too few for a normal outsole…

still, given its a rough concept exploration you have a good number of different approaches and ideas.

i would like to see a little more sport specific designs, meaning the basketball shoes and football shoes would likely be more different based on performance needs and functional characteristics. look a bit similar to me.

R

thanks r, they are REAL football cleats so of course their the american variety…hahaha joking, i know how sensitive some people are outside of the states about calling american football, footbal. i was looking at soccer cleats though because i want to try to bridge the gap between the sports with a universal cleat…not sure where the studs should be, so i just looked at existing cleats

i would like to see a little more sport specific designs, meaning the basketball shoes and football shoes would likely be more different based on performance needs and functional characteristics. look a bit similar to me.

what would you say needs more attention? is it the proportions/shape that is drawing the similarities?

Yes, a lot of it is the shape. The collar lines are similar, as is the toespring, and overall shape, Really, a lot of the fiitball boots look like a basketball shoe on cleats. Some of it I of course understand is your sketching style and presenting both concepts here at the same time, but I think I would say the same even if viewing the cleats alone.

Still, nice sketchwork. I suggest to perhaps check out some more real cleats and sport specific boots to find the differences and similarities between categories.

Something I have found in my experience working across different categories (at my previous job I was responsible for running, training, soccer, trail, hiking, tennis and basketball all at once!), is to find the visual cues that different shoes in the same category share. For instance, on most core running shoes, there are really only a few different kinds of toecaps, most have the same proportion of mesh vs. synthetic, all have similar cm eva sidewall heights, etc. Of course, some shoes break these rules, and thats OK too, but it helps to know the rules before you break them, or you end up with a potatoe of a Kobe Bryant Adi-blob.

…also Yo’s lesson on proportion is a great start too.

cheers,

R

I would have to echo r a bit.

But first, I want to say your line quality is great. Nice an loose, but clear and communicative. It looks like you have a lot of functional ideas.

I think a big next step would be to capture the fluidity of the foot. A lot of these sketches have very angled silhouettes. Angled toe caps, pointy toes in the top views, or chiseled looking toes. I think this is hurting the overall presentation. Even if it is an angular or geometric design, it always wraps around the very organic shapes of the foot…

thanks r & yo, a part of it is that for sketches i try not to worry too much about details, it something i have worked at devising little shortcut ways to sketch things…i will try to make note of the proportions to better communicate the idea or so it does not take focus away from the concepts…

brand new ish…

still working on supressing the skecth “style” old habits die hard though…

quack!

some really nice stuff in here JB, are you graduating this year, or are you out yet, I forget…

graduated, and slowly eroding mom’s patience, haha…the afterglow of graduation sure does not last long…

I know exactly what you mean… been there… any leads?

^md

haha it is crazy how fast the summer has passed so far…some leads came up thanks to some of my friends and teachers, but the either situation /timing was not right or the wrong fit…

i have not yet done the last ditch full portfolio assault yet though, i have to admit i have not been exactly hitting up the usual suspects in my area…i still have work to do.

Get to that portfolio, starting to get swamped over here. Timing is crucial and places are about to lose the interns they had over the summer so places will need bodies very soon.

huh? who is starting to get swamped? about everyone has told me the big hiring rush goes on in the spring. it is maybe not the best approach in terms of my sanity (or my pockets!), but i really want my stuff to be the best it can possibly be…plus footwear is where my head is at right now…

was going to start a new thread but i figured i would just resurrect an old one…checkin’ out this forum has really energized me & since lately i barely get sit and sketch at work, i want to try to set aside a lil’ time to sketch and post something (internet connection permitting) here every weeknight, to jump it off a compilation of some recent stuff i did just messing around…

Hey JB really like your sketching. Loads of nice designs in there too. You can see improvement in every image you’ve posted, glad you decided to carry on this topic and not start a new one.
With your proportion drawings do you just do them by eye or do you use a underlay or template?

but i really want my stuff to be the best it can possibly be…plus footwear is where my head is at right now…

Nearlly a year on, how did things go…?

thanks, though i probably should, i do not use a template; though if i get a silhouette that i am feeling for a design i will use it as an underlay…

Nearlly a year on, how did things go…?

well…i managed to attain a job in footwear doing footwear for kids for nearly 7 months, there have definitely been some growing pains in not only transitioning to being a professional designer but also the amount of paperwork & seemingly unnecessary waste; actually i am using much of the backsides of paper, that would otherwise be thrown away, for these sketches…

Hey JungleBrodda…nice to hear that all your hardwork paid off and you got that job…that def keeps my hopes up…I’ve been working as Applications Engineer teaching SolidWorks to Engineers and Designers for the last 7 months…its funny where our degrees take us…well I’m working on my portfolio right now to try and land an ID job…thanks for the advice on the thread I started…

great sketches JB. Your touch is looking really nice…like the digi sketch on the upper right and the blue-white persps on the bottom left

came home, did this sketch, took a break & promptly fell asleep…

Nice! I did a shoe with the strap going through the shank like that (dropped) and always thought it was cool, there was a Reebok a few years back that did it as well, a low profile women’s shoe.

Great sketches JB.