jr designer vs. senior designer

when does one become senior? After a certain amount of years, more skills, more conceptual work?

varries wildly from place to place. Some employers make people a senior after a few years, others wait until you have been out 7-8 years and require that you do work above average.

You become senior when you have enough junior people around you.

good one

Soooo true.

lol

i have heard that one of the the distinguishing characteristic of a senior designer is the ability to carry a program all the way through from sketch to production without supervision from management. The company trusts you enough to run with a program and deliver excellent results. Granted- the sea of junior designers around is very helpful

great question-I think its really a greyline-and who gives you this title? yourself-you think after a couple yrs you deserve it? if so everyone be one-or does the work call you by it, but then you go to another company, and why must they call you by that title? and is a senior designer higher than a creative director? I know directors over seniors? I think this is s touchy subject-

when are you not green anymore? when u graduate and not a young’n…

you can’t be a senior if you can’t create the competative tools. if you just want to pretend and bother people not only will you fail in design but your company will fail too no matter how supportive the upper management.

ya, the ad agency that i interned with while in school, just hired someone i graduated with as an Art Director. I had classes with them and they are no where near that level in my opinion. The thing was the company could not afford a senior level designer so they hire a person right out of school pay them 30k and call them the Art Director. This was a real shady company by the way, but still just shows how things work sometimes

ya, the ad agency that i interned with while in school, just hired someone i graduated with as an Art Director. I had classes with them and they are no where near that level in my opinion. The thing was the company could not afford a senior level designer so they hire a person right out of school pay them 30k and call them the Art Director. This was a real shady company by the way, but still just shows how things work sometimes

My experinece has been a junior designer becomes a senior designer when he (or she) has enough stones to ask their boss for the boost. This also applies when you are interviewing for a new job.

You don’t ask - you don’t get. It’s that simple.

Of course you need the experience and talent to go along with the stones.

…is jr designer used any more?..isn’t it a bit degrading and counterproductive?..

In my experience…

a senior designer has the skills to define design direction and delegate design responsibilities to other team members. In addition, they have the communication skills to update clients on status, adjust project timeline and resolve minor conflicts.

a design director (much different from an Art Director), has the same skills as a senior designer. In addition, impliments processes which grow department capabilities, set yearly budgets, conduct personel reviews and responsible for achieving department goals. Finally, resolve any personality conflicts affecting their subordinates.

an art director, in my opinion is a tier below a design director…more inline with a senior product designer. I’ve always noticed that an Art Director usually only supervises over graphic design/web development.

my .02 cents…

I think there’s a variety of titles these days. Lots of companies don’t even bother with them though. I’ve seen entry level people referred to as “staff designer” “associate designer” or just plain “industrial designer”

The designer with the best portfolio I’ve seen, the sweetest high-level job at IDEO, and the hottest girlfriend, simply had a business card that said ‘designer’.

That’s it.

Oh, it was in four languages.

Junior, Senior, Director, Manager, blah. He does it all.

I think we’ve found the secret to success… :laughing:

this conversation really is pretty amusing - I am the creative director at my company - but there is no art director beneath me. I was the art director - and was promoted to creative director - but with the same duties in my company. The way I see it is titles mean nothing - but image is everything. So take your title and run with it.

PS: I think a lot of companies hire designers as “JR Designer” in order to justify the grossly low salary they are paying. It gives them time to build up the salary as the designer gets promoted to “Designer”, then “Sr. Designer” and so on.

I agree witht he idea that it is just a title and has little to no reference to the work that you do. In some situations the “senior” designer is no more than the oldest designer at the company no matter how inept they actually are.

I sort of got given the role of Senior Designer where i work however i am the youngest designer that works here. The situation is basically that the other designers have little to no concept of manufacturing, professional relations or anything beyond the bare minimum that is required. So i get the position however it does not mean an increase in my petty salary.

A friend of mine got “promoted” at his work to the role of Product Development Manager, this title is also pretty hollow as he still has the same role that he had when he started and has no direct underlings.

Basically it is a title that depends on the company that you work for and how they want you portrayed both internally and externally.

The benefit of grabbing a Senior Designer title sooner is if you decide to go to work for a large company (corporate) they typically have very rigid salary guidelines based on your title. Obviously Senior Designers get paid more than Junior Designers, so when the HR guy gets his big-book-of-bucks out you will score a higher salary.

Go for the title and the cash. That’s the only way to get the hot girlfriend like the guy from IDEO…