Jordan Rip-off

What is wrong with people?

You not like these? I think they’re pretty cool, especially the grey ones. Instead of it just being a straight copy I see it more of a homage to Jordan. Though I see where you’re coming from, but I see this different to the way Bape ripped of the AF1 etc.

I really like these, but unfortunately it shows that the market (people) dont really want to get pass the jordan era. everything that is retro will sell, so some people just use existing design to make profit.
I wasn’t surprised about these shoes, but i feel that it is annoying to see that RIP-OFF attitude too much these days. Every aspect in life now is retro style, they just copy, copy,copy and copy pretending they got inspired by this and that…where are going. :unamused:

yup, pretty close to the original, but i like the twist on materials, colors, shape, construction. if this was done by nike, it would be genius, but from another company, it doesnt stand up for me.

still, lots better tho than every AF1 knowck off premium-collab in whacked colors. im lookin at you Bape, greedy genius, JB Classics, Supra, etc.

R

I for one don’t like retros. I wear them, but I’m much more a fan of new stuff.

BTW they are $150 for the Jordan upper rip off in canvas with a cheap vulc bottom…That shoe cost $10 at the factory…Suckers!!!

www.heydayfootwear.com

I really like these, but unfortunately it shows that the market (people) dont really want to get pass the jordan era. everything that is retro will sell, so some people just use existing design to make profit.
I wasn’t surprised about these shoes, but i feel that it is annoying to see that RIP-OFF attitude too much these days. Every aspect in life now is retro style, they just copy, copy,copy and copy pretending they got inspired by this and that…where are going. Rolling Eyes

i understand what you are saying, but you have to think who these are “designed” for; i mean i think you would have to some history/knowledgeable about jordan shoes to even understand these. like i doubt anyone otherwise would look twice at these & certainly after they see the price. after all these are not really classic as a silhouette…i i’m with rich though, the fact that they aren’t by nike makes them less desirable by a factor of 1000. (that pretty much goes for all the brands that take classic patterns & slap some funky materials on it, no matter how nice said materials are)

$10!?! that much? really?

amen to that. bought my first pair of jordans couple of months ago (we used to get em in other ways in my day) and they are the cheapest plastickest pieces of crap. with the og’s it was like walking on clouds…

K.E.

with the og’s it was like walking on clouds…

:smiley:

I can’t wait for this Retro thing to die down because we get one crazy design a year. That is what I like the crazy futuristic looking shoes(Zoom Kobe 3, Zoom Lebron IV)

I’m waiting for the Zoom Kobe 3, i got to have them they so crazy. It’s funny but the zoom lebron 4 is one of my source when i’m designing shoe, always got to have them on my table in front of me when sketching. :slight_smile:

As a (pretty much) ex-sneaker designer, I dont know what to think anymore. I’m bored of the fanboy retro stuff like this, it’s the same adulation / sheeple behaviour that turns me off products such as the ipod.

I had four different phonecalls in the space of one week last year asking me to develop a sneaker. Yep, four! They all wanted an AF1 rip-off, all of 'em! I just pointed them in the direction of a factory (and a photocopier obviously).

But I don’t like the modern basketball stuff either. To me, it’s ugly. I don’t want to walk around looking like I’ve got some massive space age fridge-freezers on my feet. But then again, what do I know, as a woman. :wink:

Apart from $5 vulcanised that I buy from the army store, the last sneaker I bought was the Mark Newson one. I used to collect, but I’m just so unexcited by it now.

BTW - big heads up to Dr Doodle for doing his own thing.

y’all are diggin’ the Kobe 3s? no disrespect to the designer (link?) but I find those atrocious aesthetically…maybe its one of those designs that will grow on me…

just curious in your opinion as both a woman & designer, what do think modern basketball shoes should look like? what type of design would get you taking notice again?

Something that isn’t white with lots of silicone molded bits n’ bobs on it. :laughing: I see so many designs like that and they just melt into one big homogenous design! I was thinking about this again the other night. I think the reason everyone loves Tinkers’ Jordan designs (I had the originals too!) is because every one was different. You could really see the thought process behind each one. I still feel the best era for sneaker design that we have seen was the 90’s, when the technology caught up with designers ideas. Since then we haven’t seen such a big jump in technology. If someone, anyone can develop something truly new (it doesn’t have to be crazy, just a different approach), I reckon we might see a decline in these fanboy rip offs. :laughing:

The last sneakers I saw that made me sit up and take notice were a Brazilian brand. I cannot remember the name, (will have to find my notebook), but they have a store in Milan, I think in the Porto Romano area.

I was also thinking the reason I’m bored with sneakers (this is a completely personal thing BTW), is because you are limited by the shape of the last and the heel height. I think if I just worked on sneakers I’d get pretty bored, I enjoy developing lasts, heels, wedges etc as much as working on the upper.

Shoenista,
I think the Brazilian brand you’re thinking of with the store in Milan near Porta Ticinese is Osklen. Their sneaker has such a great last and profile and the styles are good when they keep it simple (I find they get a little wacky when they wander into the world of excessive fashion detailing).

Thats them! I really liked the collection from around a year to a year and a half ago.