It's more than just cars. It's tractors, too.

Behold, the Boomer 8N.

Nice sketches.

http://www.8n.com/

Very cool. NH must have gotten the rights to this iconic design?

I like the refresh though. Very cool.

Yep. New Holland = Ford. Note their color scheme change to blue and white in the 1990’s.

I really don’t know what to make of this.

1. It seems really well thought out. Lots of cool details. I love the lights. I love the red chassis.

2. Do farmers really want a retro tractor? I would think utility outweighs style on a farm. I could be wrong though…

This is a pretty small tractor, you won’t be using it in the fields very much. My grandfather had one for doing odd stuff around his farm (snow plowing, mowing, hauling brush, etc.) and had larger John Deere’s for planting and tilling his fields.

Retro none the less, it’s a fantastic little tractor. I had hours of fun on it when I was a kid.

do farmers not want a retro tractor?

914, you seem to be more fascinated with what is retro than what is good design! This thing is very well done. Thanks for posting! The old Ford is so gorgeous as well. I think this look is much more appropriate for a small, light use tractor than some Johny 5 looking roboto thing. I it looks like it belongs.

It’s funny, my first thought when I saw the old Ford was, “looks like a knock off of one of Daniel Simon’s gigantic ice cars.” :slight_smile: Oooh man, I need to look at more real stuff.

The rinse-able seat detail is pretty cool. I’ve alway liked those old perforated tractor seats.
DSC02207.JPG

wow. amazing design, execution, detailing, color. they got everything right. would love to know who did the sketches/design if it was in house or a consultancy.

edit - did a little googline and seems it was done by the in house NH team + their partners at Fiat.

i don’t think i’ve ever set foot on a real farm, and don’t even have a yard, but i want one of these!

R

Yo: I am fascinated by what is retro. Why do we have retro cars? Retro tractors? Retro bikes? Retro clothes? Retro music?

It seems this is a particularly Western phenomenon. It feels like we’ve completely lost faith in the future and only feel like we can fulfill our needs through revisiting the past. I find the whole thing darn fascinating from a philosophical standpoint.

As for the tractor: very good aesthetic design. I think one of the best reimaginings of an old design. They really caught all of the important aspects of the orginal design, but still managed to integrated the newer cconveniences. Hats off.

it’s nice.

the instrument panel had me wondering though.

the tractors i’ve used and repaired in my youth (as a groundskeeper) were designed to be easily repaired in the field. that included electronics and guages. that compact instrument cluster would be a pain to disassemble and repair.

then i considered the small scale of it and the consumer.

are these smaller tractors becoming the the new harley-davidson for the aging boomers?

Nice

I pass on of these every day to work. Restored sitting next to a house. People in the Schwartzwald love their old tractors, especially if its a Porsche.

B-art

beautiful, B-art. Had no idea Porsche made tractors. I knew about the Lambo origins though…

I just might have to dig myself into a retro tractor hole on the interwebs. these things are the perfect combo of style and industrial aesthetic that really get me!

R

That Porshe is perfect.

KFJ - don’t knock it. They say the right mix of crops & direct sales can yield 10K to 15K per acre
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/marketgardening.html

MR 914 - Nostalgia was originally thought of as an affliction to be cured. Retro as we know it is actually a cure. Its a cure for blind faith in the future & the institutions that enable it. It’s also a cure for the repression of tradition. Western indeed because what’s more Western than reinventing, reimagining relocating, & redemption.

Lamborghini still does make tractors. Well, almost…the name is licensed.

Lambo R1

Sweet! They make a little dozer, too!

4 Cylinder Turbo Lamborghini engine!

No way, the Nissan Figaro pre dates American retro, Japanese are infatuated with it.

I think our version of the future has become very dystopian, we are returning to optimistic visions of the future… future’s past if you will. Sometimes you have to go back to go forward…

I think there is a lot more retro out there than we think of. The OG iPod can be considered retro Bahaus (or Dieter Rams), The Audi TT is retro pre WW2 German speed cars.

Nothing comes from a vacuum, everything is inspired by a mixture of other things in society, and the best things are artful pulls. Look at Frank Lloyd Writes California houses, taking Mayan temples, combining them with new construction techniques and open floor plans…

No way, the Nissan Figaro pre dates American retro, Japanese are infatuated with it.

I think our version of the future has become very dystopian, we are returning to optimistic visions of the future… future’s past if you will. Sometimes you have to go back to go forward…

I think there is a lot more retro out there than we think of. The OG iPod can be considered retro Bauhaus (or Dieter Rams), The Audi TT is retro pre WW2 German speed cars.

Nothing comes from a vacuum, everything is inspired by a mixture of other things in society, and the best things are artful pulls. Look at Frank Lloyd Writes California houses, taking Mayan temples, combining them with new construction techniques and open floor plans…

Figaro is true, but that Japanese trend died there. It’s the west that’s really taken hold. Mr-914: FAIL anyways hehe

I’m just curious how far this has spread and Yo touched on it again. I remember people looking at me funny when I said the iMac was retro '60’s Modernism with it’s blob form and bright colors. Just the technology inside advanced. But what really surprises me (and upsets me) is how far it goes into our culture.

One retro tractor is one thing. However, look at what Hollywood made this year: Transformers 2 ('80’s cartoon), Terminator 4(?) ('80’s movie), Land of the Lost ('70’s TV), X-men again ('60’s comic book), a ton of other crap. I’m worried about this happening in design. We’re far from it now, but it seems like we’re moving towards it.

This is a beautiful tractor and is very well done. The styling is great interoperation of the old with the new is awesome.

I only have one bit of beef with it though and that is what demographic are they going for. We as designers love it because it has nice lines, a well thought out form, and mixes the old with the new, but is the 65 year old tobacco farmer in NC going to get it. Is he going to care that this a “designer” tractor? Is that going to make him want to use it in his field or even for smaller job carrying hay around the barn?

My personal opinion is I think there is a disconnect there. I grew up in a family of farmers and the one thing that all of them have in common is that they are all simple people that don’t like to pay for things that are not needed. All of their work trucks are stripped down and have no problem driving them off into the woods where they get scratched an dinged because that is what it is made for not for style and comfort.

This is the same with their tractors. Although they embrace technology and encourage it, it seems to need to be done in a subtle non flashy way. They like the way things were done in the past and generally they do things the way their dad did it and the way his dad did it. This is not to say that I do not think that farmers do not need design, just like any product or user group they can all benefit from our skills, I just think that when things are designed for this demographic that we need to think about what actually goes on and get into their heads.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Retro/Modern always communicates Modern and Contemporary which I do not know would be embraced by this demographic.

Agreed… don’t forget Star Trek… but I think you can liken the entire trend to the plot of Star Trek. In the new movie Spock goes back in time and messes up the entire continuum, landing them in an alternate Star Trek reality that has the same characters and ingredients, but a different future. Really, this is a pretty ingenious plot device because now JJ Abrahms and crew can make up any story they want, completely ignore the original Star Treks, and write a new future

… and that is exactly what we are doing.