ITP

I applied to NYU’s Interactive Telecom Program (ITP). I’ve check out the program a few times already but was wondering if

1. Anyone on the board has graduated from the program? What did you think about the program? And what you do now. Its my top pick, but at $39K a year I want to be 100% sure.

2. If anyone has applied for this fall and if you’ve heard back?

i go accepted but no scholarship…
i think im going to ivrea…

I found out I got in on Monday, no scholarship either but I wasn’t expecting one. My advisor told me the admit rate is really low (5-10%) and at the Open House they even said they don’t give out much money.

But I love the program, has the right blend of everything for me. :slight_smile:

I think ITP is a great school. I prefer the work coming out of there than stuff from Ivrea personally; conceptual but also relevant, often well researched, deep, fun, clever, and very well prototyped. Perhaps more industrial design related work at Ivrea, but if thats your focus i’d recommend interaction programs at RCA or Umea.

Some ITP projects:

Dodgeball
http://www.dodgeball.com/social/index.php

Mobjects
http://www.mobjects.net/

Modus
http://stage.itp.nyu.edu/~dc788/spring2003/netobjects/modus/index.html

Projects from last year’s Spring Show
http://www.engadget.com/entry/5718484383871362/

Back during the internet boom I met three ITP grads. Two were really terrific, smart people and the third was a jerk, and I wasn’t impressed with him. Anyway, the two cool people are now working as (1) traffic manager for an interactive agency or something like that and (2) a freelance web designer (she had a graphic design BFA previously.) The jerk was an editor in the interactive division at one of the big magazine publishing houses in new york. Not sure what he’s doing now. Also, I stumbled across another ITP grad who’s working at Pentagram doing interactive environments. His job looked way cool. Crap, can’t remember his name.

earthgirl, what was your background, if i may ask? I am deciding on attending itp…i did undergrad in id…

earthgirl, what was your background, if i may ask? I am deciding on attending itp…i did undergrad in id…

Hi. I got my undergrad in both CompSci and FineArts. I currently work doing a bit of design, but more programming work. The thing I liked about ITP was that they take people with all sorts of backgrounds (artists, engineers, actors, teachers, etc)…makes for a different pool of ideas.

When I was looking around at grad schools, I decided to apply to some MID programs as well (how I stumbled across this board). But ultimately for me, I wanted to do more interaction stuff, and looking at their class list I knew it was a good fit.

Let me know what you decide, maybe we’ll be classmates right?

Has anybody got an admit from Ivrea…??
How do you guys compare Ivrea and RCA Interaction Design?
I have an admit from RCA, but no schol… :frowning:

Hi. I got my undergrad in both CompSci and FineArts. I currently work doing a bit of design, but more programming work.

That’s why i am intimidated by ITP. Hardcore on the programming and physical computing. Which is definitely a right way to approach technology as long as you focus on the people/users. Ivrea seems to be blending more of design/presentation of ideas with a bit programming/phys. computing. Prototyping/programming is very important, but if you want to maintain your status as a “designer” you might not want to spend all your time debugging and trying to engineer ideas. Tough tough choice…

Hardcore on the programming and physical computing.

I talked to a few students when I went to check out ITP and the one thing they said was learn programming because you will need it. I consider myself more of an artist and the whole knowing programming thing was sort of a fluke. However I am glad I know it because it can help me put into effect my own ideas. They have so many classes you can focus on a number of things, I saw quite a few projects that we video/web based.

but if you want to maintain your status as a “designer” you might not want to spend all your time debugging and trying to engineer ideas

The projects I saw were a mix of the “practical” and “artistic”. As for the whole status issue, I am less caught up on labels than following what I want to do. And if debugging is a part of the creative process, so be it.

Previous post was by me.