it has been a while...

…since i have done a shoe rendering, my exerience soured me a little bit on shoes i still love footwear design, but it is not as pristine as it used to be…anyway i had meant to do this idea as a fully realized ps rendering so i got to messing around on ps and voila!

it is a pretty impratical idea that started from a sketch of a ballplayer

the idea was to build a shoe around an ankle brace that could also act as a cushioning element along witha gel footbed housed in a midfoot cradle and the forefoot wrapped in a siped rubber like element for extra traction. and of course since i dislike having to lace up my kicks every tim i hoop it is laceless…

though i did not do start this with the intention of making it a a portfolio project, i wonder if i could pull it off and what else i could add to make it more complete…

but it is not as pristine as it used to be

Man…Im felling the same way and I just started.

As for the shoe, I love the colors and I think they speak well for this project (future, etc). So is it kinda like rbk pump or something else? edit nevermind i read it* As far as the midfoot goes. I think I like it, let me digest it more and I’ll let you know…

JB_ nothing is as pure as we would like it to be, but where you worked is worse than other places…
Nice concept, really nice. One thing I could see adjusting are the hits of exposed cushioning. Right now the all align in a perfectly straight line. I thin it would look more natural if they followed the last shape, kicked up in the toe…

Not bad. Like IYE2 said, the colors go very well with the shoe. The lockdown system is cool. The yellow pieces around the ankle, I think could be made to flow a little better. Thats just my opinion.

Not to sound really nosy or anything Junglebrodda, but can you elaborate a little more on the sour experience.

hmm…i do not want it to sound like it was bad, it was a great opportunity, i mean it was a very good thing to experience, i just wish some things were better…

thanks yo. i was being lazy with exposed gel, i do not know why i did not notice that, what could i do to make it more real, like what would be a good way to present it…

that is crazy, matt. if you are feeling that way with all the love for doing this i have seen you show, things are not right with the world…but i think it is a naturally thing that happens regardless of what field it is, it can be an insulated world in school so you have this ideal in your head and when as you get out and see how it is, it is unexpected…for some that time comes earlier so they are more prepared to deal with it, i feel like in some respects i took a step backwards because it is late in the game for me…if you can try to get put on even if it is volunteer, it helps alot…

cheeves! whats good, i understand what you are saying the padded cutouts are a little in opposition with the rest of the lines in the shoe but i have this affinity to make things clash and it is just a subconcsious thing that i do not really notice until someone points it out (the 1st step is admitting i have a problem…)

it is not that it was bad, it just was not what i expected it is hard to put to words…things just did not “operate” the way i thought they would and maybe those preconceptions are why i felt a little less enamored with shoes after it was up…but even knowing the result i would do it again because i learned from and met some really cool knowledgeable people

For the cushioning reference the air max 95… I know its not the same, but study how the pill shapes actually bend to the toe spring, and of course the depth of them, they are set in from the midsole a touch as well.

JB these boards are very well done, I am very impressed with how much you have improved since your internship! Now that you know how the world out there really works you know what to anticipate when you get out (it is worse in other industries BTW, I’ve worked in a few others). In time you will learn how to manage the process and push good design. You won’t always win every battle, but keep the end goal in sight and you will be cool. Just like on the court, its all how you play the game.

J Bro

I really like how you incorporated the lines of the “F” into the lines on the vamp and medial quarters.

the gel cushioning could also be looked into. Like what yo has said about looking into the air-max.

I am interested in seeing how this shoe could be adapted with a body suit. a full length body/ active suit like seen in your drawing. If you have seen some of the Nike speed designs/ vidoes on nikelab/ there is a movie with some full body suits, maybe could be some possibilities there for the future of active wear and footwear.

I think the proportions seem right on the upper for a basketball shoe, but the outsole shape to me looks more like a track, puma casual shape. maybe a lil wider in the toe box and the heel…

I would also like to see varies button placements, thinking about how the foot flexes, would this location be ideal?

Mm

i have seen a couple of those nike shorts with the speed suits, i ws thinking more about protection rather than speed or any type augmentation though, you might remember there was a show called “slamball,” where cats would jump off of trampolines integrated into the floor to score points, almost like a live action nba jam, so a full body suit would serve the purpose of protecting joints with some realtively thin but high density material(s) to absorb impacts. i think i had originally intended that there was type of proplusion aspect to the shoe

the outsole was tough because i wanted to make hoop shoes sleeker, so i figured i make up for the lack of flaring with ultra grippy materials, the button placement had to be at the somewhere at the midfoot to shorten the travel of the lacingwire, it probably is not ideal, with the way the foot flexes it would likely be better to move the lacingwire a tad backwards and end it slightly before the midfoot flex point