Is there work available in the bay area?

I am moving to San Francisco and planning to look for a job in ID. I know its competitive, and Im up for the challenge. What I am wondering is how business is doing around the area? Any advice?

Did you just land on this planet? What are you expecting? Yes it’s hard. Everywhere is hard. Life is hard. But work hard and give it a shot.

[
Things in SF and Silicon Valley are not just difficult, they are VERY difficult for ID’ers right now. The market is saturated, and worse, companies aren’t hiring. I can’t speak for other places of the world, but both freelancers and full timers are in a hurt.

If you have skills that go beyond the usual ID’er, like perhaps engineering or MBA, you’ll have a much better chance at landing a job.

…there ARE jobs to be had in video, graphic or CAD work… but that’s not ID.

…also, the cost of living here is one of (if not the) highest in the country, but the wages don’t scale.

Good luck

quote=“wannabeCA”]I am moving to San Francisco and planning to look for a job in ID. I know its competitive, and Im up for the challenge. What I am wondering is how business is doing around the area? Any advice?[/quote]

SF is very tough, moved there in 2002 after graduation and never found work. I was hired by a company in LA, and moved down. The overall job market was horrible there, which made getting any kind of job difficult. I scored one short term ID gig, then spent about a year battling for odd jobs. I remember talking to one guy who just finished a PHD, and was serving me coffee in Union Square. It was a humiliating time for a lot of people, hopefully its changed a bit. I went to a top school, and had a top portfolio, but I was competing against experienced designers for entry level positions.

Its unfortunate, SF is such a great place to live as a creative person. But, like NYC, it has become too expensive to live there. Not that LA is a cheap place to live either, I think the days of picking where you want to live then finding a job are over.