IS SHE JUST A DREAMKILLER

I live in a small rural area and plan to go back to school to pursue interior design. after going to speak to my counsilor about my classes, I was a little confused. Im a african american single parent and im far from rich. She simply glanced at my curriculm for the aa degree and said. this is something you do for a hobby on the side. I must point out that this is a junior college and only offers basica classes that i will transfer when i move to houston this summer to complete my aa degree then a ba i will work on part time as i work. ( the college has good job placement with there internprogram) right now Houston is booming with comercial and residental work. my question is. I have looked in job search sites all over the country not just texas and there is an abundance of jobs posted even for those with aa degrees. I cant tell if i am being detered because people consider design still a fantasy job or if the people in my area have yet to see a african american who is a interior designer. We have 3000 people and I often here comments made to me that .I’m so intelligent and am I from around here.( because of the sterotypes they have of african americans in my area) So the counsilor encouraged me to take on a job that has less pay but would allow me to help others which is my second love. ( social working) IF I CAN MAKE 24,000 A YEAR IT IS A FAR CRY FROM THE WAGES I MAKE NOW. I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNTIY AND THE BUSINESS ARE FAMILY OWNED AND WAGES CONTROLED. We have never had any blacks to work inthe bank although they have the education or any black teachers texcept a coach or 2. Is this lady a dream killer or just a reflection of what I have to deal with in the industry. I MUST ADMIT THIS MAKES ME WANT TO SUCCESSED EVEN MORE TO PROVE A POINT TO THEM.

I know a few african american female interior designers. They are out there.
I don’t think skin color makes a different. As long as you got the skills, you’ll get a good placement anywhere. The question is: do you want to study interior design because you like it or because what your consulor said?
Interior designer makes about 32,000 to 40,000 out of college. Some people makes more and some less. It might not turn out to be your current salary.
Hey! who cares if you like interior design!

Don’t let anyone tell you what you can and can not do. None of the people that run this world got their positions by listening to the people that tried to limit their options.

How about Kia Steave-Dickerson, Designer on trading spaces. Has her own company!

I think that you should follow your passion. The most important person to listen to most of the time is yourself. If yo listen and you hear that you want to be a creative profesional, then do it and don’t look back. If that is what you really want then you wont regret the choice, it might be the path of high resistance, but it will also be the path of high reward. If you don’t give it a try, you’ll always wonder, and those what ifs can really drag after awhile.

The beauty is that down the road, once you are a working designer, there will be plenty of opportunities to satisfy your second love of helping people, as a mentor and role model to young students in the spot you are in now. When you make it, never forget to give back, and that goes to everyone in my opinion.

I often think back to those appointed counclers I had that almost derailed me, and the ones that chose me who kept me between the rails.With out the second group who knows what kind of place I’d be in and I am forever thankfull.

Best of luck.
^md

HELLO THERE …

If you are serious about interior design …you will be successful but you have to be dedicated…I 'm African American… I’m an industrial designer… I know at least 7 black interior design women with a 4 year degree …they are making in average just out of school $ 42,000 a year …they are very talented and smart … don’t let small town mentality stop you from achieving your goals…interior design is actually a very diverse field, you will meet people from Japan , England, South America…you name it…In this kind of field nobody care where you are from but what can you offer their company…" Don’t be a victim of circumstance, your limitations exist only in your imagination “So if you really think this is for you …nothing can stop but yourself …” make no excuses, take no prisoners.

peace out

I strongly encourage you to go for it if you are ready.
I was born in conservative family of Asian. My mother raised me and my brother since she was 30 something by herself doing a small business.
I was never a top student in U.S high school because of my language problem when me and my family moved here in EastCoast.
However, although I knew my mother couldn’t pay for my college tuition, and especially for those in NYC where Arts and famouse Schools were, I always wanted to learn in the big city where all these artistic people are.
During my high school year, I met this wonderful lady who taught be how to paint and be creative. Even after she was gone, I kept on trying making arts. It was my own expression and the way to communicate whole lot faster and better than using English.
I got into School of Visual Arts in NYC while I was Junior year in my high school…with this letter of acceptance and four years of full tuitions. Sounds like a movie? Yeah, it sure is to me. My family would never imagine what would happend if I wasn’t painting while other kids were out driving and drinking. Now, I am studying ID in grad school, and yes, I see many other races including Black students who truely love Arts and stand out from the crowd. This is our lives. I am different from others but that makes me who I am, thus I try harder and the reward means so much to me. I hope you grow tall and strong. Wish me a luck also.

Generally I don’t think your gender or ethnic group matters. In fact, say for ID, some companies want female designers because there are just too few of them around.

However politics do exist. Many students want to get into trans design program in my school. Many of those who are really talented did not get chosen, not because of their ability, but because of various unexpected political reasons.

Anything can happen, nothing is too weird. Therefore, if you are indeed the best, there is no reason why anyone will dismiss you.

I agree with the previous responses! Don’t just go after what you want, but go at it 100% and beat the hell out of it!

The race thing is pretty much area-specific. I’m in Europe, and everyone seems to have their own nationality that they don’t like (French people not liking Italians or whatever) It’s all pretty much retarded and petty useless. I agree with what the previous posts have said about just going for it!

What’s crazy is that ‘society’ might look down upon a certain ethic group, but then totally embrace it’s trends and styles! It’s all totally backwards

I wouldn’t let this lady kill your spirit. In fact, keep her image in the back of your mind when you are working…it can really give you that added spark…everyone needs a nemesis. Just like He-Man and Skeletor, right?

Absolutely kick ass and don’t look back!

I WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO RESPOND TO MY POST. YES ,I’M VERY AWARE OF THE MANY PEOPLE OF COLOR WHO ARE DOING BIG THINGS IN THE INDUSTRY . I’VE RECIEVED A FEW INSPIRING EMAILS FROM SHEILA BRIDGES MANY PEOPLE CONSIDER HER THE NUMERO UNO RIGHT NOW IN INTERIOR DESIGN AND OF COURSE MR RODRICK SHADE AND OTHERS. I FEEL MY MOM PLANTED A SEED IN ME BEFORE SHE DIED. SHE WAS VERY CREATIVE ,TOOK ME ANTIQUEING WITH HER, AS A CHILD AND SEWED ALL THE WINDOW TREATMENTS THE QUILTS ETC. SHE TAUGHT ME YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RICH TO BE CLEAN OR HAVE NICE THINGS. A GOAL FOR ME WOULD BE TO CONTRACT TO CERTAIN URBAN AREAS THAT NEED FACELIFTS. WHEN ONE TAKES PRIDE IN THEIR HOME BE IT A BRICK MANSION OR A PROJECT APT IT REFELECTS IN THEIR SELF ESTEEM. I HATE TO SEE AREAS THAT LOOK POOR AND UNKEPT. I DEFINALTEY KNOW I HAVE TO COME OUT SWINGING AND CANT HALF STEP IN THIS INDUSTRY HOEPFULLY I’LL BE ABLE TO LEAVE A LEGACY THAT MY FAMILY CAN BE PROUD OF. I’ KNOW THAT THE REST OF SOCIETY IS NOT AS SMALL MINDED AS SOME OF THE PEOPLE I HAVE TO LIVE AROUND. I JUST FOUND IT SO STRANGE HOW EASILY SHE LOOKED RIGHT OVER WHAT I PRESENTED. THANKS FOR THE WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT, I TELL EVERY ONE TO REMEMBER MY NAME!! LOL ( LIKE FAME)