Is it wrong to launch an internet portfolio while employed?

Launching my online portfolio is long over due. Though I’m content at my current job, I believe publishing my portfolio in my own website is beneficial in the long. I just don’t want my current employer to get the wrong idea that I might be unhappy at work or that I’m looking to leave ASAP, blah, blah, blah…

Is there anyway you can safeguard yourself in doing this? Should I even bother making my own website at this point? Am I just over analyzing this?

Any advice?

…do it…business is business…your employer believes this no matter what else they may tell you.

At 3:30pm on a beautiful Tuesday afternoon, you could be fired. Your company has no problem with doing that. Business is business. Should you go through your life unprepared? Nope. That’s why it’s always good to have an up-to-date resume on hand and in our case, a portfolio and/or website.

I personally have my own website, but I “hide” my professional portfolio in a different folder than the domain. Call it “ID” or something, so that only people you direct to the actual folder can view it. www.yourname.com/id If someone does a search for your time, it’s unlikely this will show up, as it is generally the root directory that shows up. If you are really paranoid about it, throw a robots.txt file (google it) and have it remove certain things from search engines.

Again, it’s when you are settled and content that SH*T happens. Be prepared.

Wow! This has to be some of the most clear headed and forthright advice i’ve seen on Core for a looooong time. Thanks guys!

My previous employer found my resume on Monster while trying to hire a new employee and the HR person called me in to talk about it. I told them straight up that I wasn’t looking to leave the company but I believe in being prepared just in case something should happen (ie. an up-to-date resume, portfolio, etc).

HR totally understood and thanked me for letting them know how things were going with the company and how I liked my job. Granted I did leave the company a year later but it had nothing to do with my materials being posted online.

I say be prepared cause you never know whats out there.

I have a friend who was called in to HR for having a resume on Monster, and they were not pleased. I think they were more embarassed than anything else, because they knew they could not keep him happy.

Cloak if you must, but do not hesitate to market yourself.

The hard fact is that employers are not dedicated to their employees like they were 40 years ago. I bet many of our parents have been with their companies for eons. Things change. If they are dedicated to us, why should we not be prepared to leave at any time, whether we are forced out or not?

My company recently purchased another company, but wait…here’s where things get screwey. My company had to let go of about 120 people because we decided to move to their location. So, most of us got screwed. I, along with about 14 other people were the only ones to travel to the new location, which is basically the “Lions Den.”

I’ve just had a big smack in the face of reality. And it can blind-side you at any time. Be prepared. if they have a problem with it, make them sign a contract saying that you require at least 3 months of notice prior to a layoff.

I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s part of professional development, getting reviewed by your peers. Just don’t run it and update it from work on the clock.

While I agree that it is good to be prepared, you don’t want to necessarily provoke.

Posting your resume front and center can be a valuable tool for getting feedback of your worth (does HR come rushing to check you are happy…which is always nice), but it can also have the reverse effect (why am I bothering to give this guy a key role if he is just biding his time or worse, yeah he isn’t that good anyway, let’s start the interviewif he wants out).

I think it is a matter of respect. A little discretion should suffice.

If there is ever a question you can always tell your company that you do small freelance projects nights and weekends (something other than what your company specializes in) and tell them that you keep a resume and portfolio handy for your freelance clients that want to check references and your work.

As long as your company doesn’t have a do not compete agreement and as long as you aren’t stealing clients and work that should go through your employer what can they say. At my last job I did freelance web design on the side and everyone knew it. Sometimes when there was a special request I might do a site for them but for the most part they knew that it was something I did in my free time and not something I wanted to add to the company’s service list.

I wasn’t taking anything away from them because they weren’t actively marketing themselves as a web design firm and weren’t trying to get clients for that kind of work either. If they do want to add your other specialties to their core services, then its a great time for you to renegotiate your pay and get more money for the time and skills that you will then be bringing.

I curently work at Black & Decker and my Core resume is posted in addition to my co-workers. We are ready to take offers at any time and believe me we may need to with the way quality has been lately. I just keep hearing complaints from friends and family about the products we design. Just a bit concerned, that’s why my stuff is posted.

You guys are all right and I think this part of what mmjohns pointed out is a good way of covering your a$$… I might just go ahead and do that…

Thanks all… please feel free to keep posting more tips and advice!

If you are seriously thinking about making a change then go ahead but if this is something that you are just hashing around, then think twice.

Don’t even bother with recruiters unless you are serious as they have a way of snooping around and asking companies questions that could raise eyebrows in a bad way. Recruiters can actually cause big problems.

Story:
I met this guy two years ago that was contacted by a recruiter. This recruiter told him there was a big job offer at one of the big three. This guy a tier 1 designer of 7 years heard three things: big three company, big career, and big money. Keep in mind he was doing fairly well at tier 1 company, had some retirement coming and they liked him. However, this recruiter convinced him to jump at the bait. He left Tier 1 w/o much thought. Two days after he put in his two week notice this same recruiter called him and told him the offer was off the table. Well, his previous employer didn’t accept him back.

Lesson: Be reeeeel careful setting up websites, handing out resumes, and talking to recruiters. Even fellow designers for that matter. Recruiters can be real sneaks and are generally concerned with their commision not your career. This guy is still looking for a decent job and it’s been 2.5 years since that incident. He would have almost 10 years in with his old company.

Yes indeed guest7, they do make some weird things. Crap, to be specific. The DeWalt is ok if you need a drill, but all else is crap too. Ask any “true” pro contractor and they will tell you, hands down, that makita, hitachi, milwaukee and bosch are the ones to have. DeWalt is the poser brand.

in reference to mmjohns comments, i know that my company’s employee rules and reg’s states that you must inform your company that you have been contracting/consulting. if a conflict of interest is hinted at you can be in a very sticky situation.

if you intend to use the “i am consulting on the side” have a cover story that does not stray into the non-compete arena on the ready.

Bob or Vince will be thrilled to know which awesome guy they’ve hired.

Look, people are people, get to know the ones that employ you. Some are going to be uncomfortable about this, other are not. Will you get fired? Probably not. Will the knowledge that your considering other options be in the back of the mind of your employers when they are trying to decide who should be promoted? Probably. Will it make a difference? Probably not, but its possible. Whether or not your dedicated to a company is one of many factors that have an affect on how you move up in a company (or why you have a lack of movment).

Consider going to places like here or www.cadtalent.com or such where you can search resume’s for free and see if its pretty common for people to post annonymously, or without a last name. Compare your salaries there while your at it. What I’m getting at is before you start throwing out your resume like its a best buy sale of the week brochure, you determine where you want to be (location, salary, position, etc …) and then consider if you want to be ‘out there’. If you want to publish a blog or such do it under the pretence of design and interest.

Most of the people here are correct in that you should have options, but that dosent mean you should be reckeless about it.

Hope that was informative!

Cheers,

John.

If I am confident and like to show off my portfolio, I think the company should be happy because it also implies that this person relates his confidence to the company he works for.

It’s like when you are married, does that mean you can’t make more friends of opposite genders? Of course not. If your spouse gets upset abt it, then you might be better off considering other options.

Showing a folio and posting a resume are a little different with regard to the implication. A folio may garner further inquiries but a folio is soliciting.

Sorry resume is soliciting.