Is anyone willing to answer questions for a career project?

I know that I’m not the most well-liked person around here, but I come asking for a favor. A graduation requirement of mine is to choose a career and do a report on it. You had to choose it back in May, (and I chose Industrial design) and at this point it’s too late to change it. I still haven’t ruled it out completely though, so any help is useful.

One of the requirements is to interview someone in the field. I’m wondering if anyone could answer these and provide a name, and a signature. I realize the sig. may be a problem, but it’s required and anyone willing to send me a picture of their name and signature or something similar would be extremely appreciated by me. If you just want to answer the questions, I guess that’s okay too. I realize that sending a signature over the net isn’t a good idea, but anything is appreciated. Maybe PMing me a picture or something would work? Up to you.

That aside, thanks to all who help. Here’s the questions:

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

\

1.              What are some of the top schools for this profession?

2. What education/skill do you need to be an industrial designer?

3. What is the entry-level salary/wage and top salary/wage for this career?

4. Where do you see the field in 5 or 10 years?

5. Do you think the demand for this career will increase in the future?

6. What are the options for career advancement? Lead designer, management, etc?

7. What are the working conditions, such as: length of day, shift work, overtime, required clothing, indoors or outdoors, etc?

8. What skills or interests did you possess growing up that made you choose this?

9. Are there any special character traits or physical qualifications that would be an asset to an industrial designer??

10. Would you recommend industrial design to a young person today? Why/why not?

Thanks again.

all aside from anything in the past with your postings/threads, to answer this specific post, i have to ask: Are these questions yours/ for real?

they seem very general and not very enlightening in any way. They are so general that one answer or 10 wouldn;t really mean so much, I’m sure they could be answered to some extent, but they are so general and for the most part all non-sequiturs, that really any answer isn’t worth the pixels it takes to answer. There is so much variability in jobs, answers, that i just don’t think you’d get anything of value from answers to these questions.

If you would like a better response, I’d suggest to reformulate the questions.

Sorry to be so blunt, but just trying to help. If you have more specific, in depth questions, i’d be happy (as i’m sure others would be) to answer them.

R

Well I ended up interviewing a guy who lives in my apartment building.

They’re simple questions, which I pretty much already knew the answers to, but it’s a school required project, and the interview is a part of it. I wasn’t really going to ask specific questions regarding ID and then use them in a presentation on it; it’s much more general, and the whole project is designed for the ‘lowest common denominator’, as in, people who haven’t spent any time researching careers. I basically just needed a signature, heh.

Thanks anyways.

1. What are some of the top schools for this profession?
    UC, CCS, ACCD, CIA, Pratt, RISD, AAU, CREAPOL, Coventry…

2. What education/skill do you need to be an industrial designer?
    4 year degree or equivalent

3. What is the entry-level salary/wage and top salary/wage for this career?
    Entry: 30-50k depending, max 300k+

4. Where do you see the field in 5 or 10 years?
    Commodity based design will continue to be jobbed out over sees and be incorporated into conglomerate factory groups. The value of Brand/Consumer centric design will continue to increase and grow in its global presence as IP laws evolve internationally

\

5. Do you think the demand for this career will increase in the future?
    Yes

6. What are the options for career advancement? Lead designer, management, etc?
    CEO

7. What are the working conditions, such as: length of day, shift work, overtime, required clothing, indoors or outdoors, etc?
    9-5 most work days, 24/7 close to deadlines. Mostly indoors, but highly mobile, casual attire.

8. What skills or interests did you possess growing up that made you choose this?
    Liked to draw, imagine, daydream, invent, asked questions a lot, play with legos a lot, uber excited about everything, geek factor.

9. Are there any special character traits or physical qualifications that would be an asset to an industrial designer??
    Thick skin, ability to assimilate feedback, persistence, stubbornness, interest in history, interest in people, interest in engineering, interest in business, passion, love of objects, an open mind.

10. Would you recommend industrial design to a young person today? Why/why not?
    Yes, to the right person, because its awesome. If you love what you do, its not a job. No to the wrong person, if you don’t love it, do something else please, there is enough bad design out there already.