Is $30K for an entry level graphic/web design position fair?

Here’s my situation. I’ve been offered a job for $30K doing graphic design, desktop web publishing, and some CAD work. Eventually, I may get into doing ID work (my college training and intention). I don’t want to get into details about this, because you never know who is reading. I am entry level and I do need training. This is a great opportunity to learn how to run a small company, and it will get my foot in the door for the future. I’m just not sure I the wage is fair and I can afford it.

Yo are making more than 90% of us here.

90% Dammm thats not good. In all seriousness you deserve more than 30K a year but unfortunately there is a lot of steps before you get to that level.

90% Dammm thats not good. In all seriousness you deserve more than 30K a year but unfortunately there is a lot of steps before you get to that level.

Does $30K atleast represent the “bottom of the barrel” figure? I’m thinking I’ll counter with $35K but in the end I’ll bite on whatever he offers. It’s too good of an opportunity because it gets me involved in the area and hopefully will let me move into freelance contemporary furn. design overtime.

depends where you are living.
If you are in NYC or LA, you’ll never live.
If you are in Iowa or somewhere, then you’ll be fine.

Sounds like a good opportunity for a beginner. You get exposure to a variety of disciplines. Learn one then go on to a place that specilizes in it and demand a good buck! If you turn it down let me know as I will apply!

i think its fair

don’t be dumb. take it.
would you rather be getting the same amount of money to JUST do CAD work for CIVIL ENGINEERING which utterly and completely sucks and will make you hate your life? Cuz that’s how is could be. Man- design jobs are like gold in a cereal box really hard to find, so TAKE IT please. . .

FYI Graphic design pays much less than product. Entry level range is between $28,000 - $32,000 in most major cities in the US. Might be a bit less in some areas.

I took it. The only reason I was questioning the salary was the fact that the position is in Chicago. A friend of mine spoke to someone from a placement agency and she said graphic designers with 5-6 yrs. experience are accepting jobs for that pay in Chicago. Thanks for your advice.

I was the one who said “FYI Graphic design pays much less than product. Entry level range is between $28,000 - $32,000 in most major cities in the US. Might be a bit less in some areas.”

I live in Chicago and I am also looking. They were fair.

BTW designers with 5-6 years of experience very rarely get offered $30K jobs. The employer knows it will only be a matter of time before they resent that salary. They may not quit but they will be bitter. No one wants a bitter person in the office.

Great! you got your foot in the door somewhere and can get real world experience. You can only move up from there. After 6 years I’ve moved up to 68k (from 38K west coast), built a descent portfolio and learned a tremendous amount about client relationships with a lot of hard work and late nights. your first job is like an extention of school but they pay you. welcome to the industry.

i will take it, its fair enough. you should go ahead with that offer