Invention for prevention

I took the liberty to brand this product even though I have no affiliation with Converse, Nike or Dr. J “Julius Erving”.

My background is in clothing design although I am a registered inventor “US patent - Utility”
Patent Number 5,746,361
I have this invention and two other inventions currently in the “patent pending stage”

I think this is an incredible site, feedback is welcomed
Take Care
Randall

can you give some insight to how this actually works.

how does it prevent over supination.

It seems like it will prevent the ankle rolling outward but that it about it.

How does it effect the biomechanical effect of supination?

Hey Jugglie,

Supination occurs when the ankle rolls out, so that you appear to be standing on the sides of your foot. Excessive supination can cause ankle sprains. Over Supination is when a player lands on another player’s foot and his ankle rolls, typically. :wink:

I spent a few seasons at the MSU “Michigan State University” Tom Izzo Basketball camp watching my nephews and 500 other ballers. I was amazed at how most of the B-ball shoes looked the business for fashion and not dedicated to the player or to the court. Clearly by the improvisations a lot of the players made to their shoes ankle sprains was a concern.

How this invention works is simple.

1.) There is a sock that is grippy in certain areas so the shoe becomes an extention of the foot.

2.) The heel cup you see here is inserted into the shoe then it bolts/rivets to the exterior products you see, the arch support bolts from the bottom of the shoe into/through the carbon fiber shank.

3.) the medial side product prevents the flex of the ankle inward to a predetermined angle preventing the ankle rolling outward (supination)

4.) The lateral product is a safety item that works in tandem with the medial product.

All of this is secured by the way the top of the shoe closes.

At the present time I am exploring the tolerances of the tibia bone.

Take Care,
Randall

I forgot to say that all of the ballers I polled spoke of the ankle rolling outward and not inward (pronation).
Randall

hey thanks for the explaination

Just want to clarify something.

Supination is not the ankle rolling outward.

Supination is the effect of the foot not Pronating inwards. So to some effect it appears or is commonly refered to that the foot rolls out.

to demonstrate this here are some images

Neutral foot type =

Over Pronator =

supinator =

some people who supinate do have ankle problems but ankle spraining is not a syptomatic problem of supination.

What you have designed is more of an ankle brace to prevent ankle inversion. which is not supination.

only reason I want to get this correct in regard to your design is that Controling supination or (under-pronation) is something that is kind of lacking in the footwear design catergory purly because it is next to imposible to create a technology that decreases the effects of supination outside of an orthotic.

Pronation control is easy. with medial supports etc etc but there is basically nothing for supination at all so this is a big claim that you are making. I am not attacking your design just trying to clarify its purpouse

cheers

Thanks for the input.
Take Care,
Randall

this is how the medial product works, The lip under the hole at the ankle presses against the lower part which causes the top to press against the tibia preventing excess roll. Also the arch support being fixed to the heel cup by squaring up against the heel cup and bolting into the shank prevents supination.

Of course the lateral product and shoe all play a part in the execution.

This item prevents the Twist and roll of the ankle.

Best I can find now but I will have my consulting podiatrist give an explanation tomorrow or asap.

What is Pronation?

Pronation refers to the inward roll of the foot during normal motion and occurs as the outer edge of the heal strikes the ground and the foot rolls inward and flattens out. A moderate amount of pronation is required for the foot to function properly, however damage and injury can occur during excessive pronation. When excessive pronation does occur the foot arch flattens out and stretches the muscles, tendons and ligaments underneath the foot. The picture right shows a view of the right foot as if looking at it from behind. As you can see in the picture the ankle is over pronating or rolling inwardly.

What is Supination?

Supination is the opposite of pronation and refers to the outward roll of the foot during normal motion. A natural amount of supination occurs during the push-off phase of the running gait as the heal lifts off the ground and the forefoot and toes are used to propel the body forward. However, excessive supination (outward rolling) places a large strain on the muscles and tendons that stabilize the ankle, and can lead to the ankle rolling completely over, resulting in an ankle sprain or total ligament rupture. This time, in the second picture right , the foot is over supinating or rolling outwardly.

Source:

Take Care,
Randall

Man I must have edited this post ten times :slight_smile:

In the first bolded section you say that this item prevents the twist and roll of the ankle. this seems like a simlar concept to the Monkey paw technology used in their basketball range. this is a technology which can stop ankle inversion in the same way as an akle brace would do.

The second bolded section is the description of supination. this mainly refers to the effect of the foot supinating at toe off which is at the same time that the windlass mechanism kicks in and activly forced your foot to roll inward contract and act in the same way a spring does.

Youe device referes to pronation at the heel and point of impact. The decrition civen refers to this as the rolling out of the foot. And i still believe that supination at the point of impact is not actually the foot rolling outward it is the foot not pronating or rolling in.

so again your device is more of an ankle inversion protector than a supination device.

Hello jugglie,

As far as “monkey paw” this is why I use a respected firm of patent attorneys and we are aware of what related items have been awarded patents. The items that we are not aware of are the ones in “patent pending” stage as mine, that’s for the patent office to decide who gets there first.

I have been assured that even this far down the process we are in “Great” shape. Once again this is why I enlist patent attorneys and it’s why I have spent $$$$ on this idea moving forward. At the end of the day it’s the USPTO that grants the privilege.

It’s clear as to why they call the invention “Monkey’s Paw”

A patent does not give the holder exclusive rights to the claims that it makes, it gives the holder the rights to say to anyone, “this is how I solved this problem” … you can attempt to solve the same problem but you better not use my idea or anything close to it to achieve your goal.

The laymen term is “build a better mouse trap”.

As far as the use of “Supination” I will confer with my podiatrist once again to get an official definition as to why he has said I can use the word as it relates to this device.

I thank you for the input and debate, this is why I’m here :slight_smile:

Take Care,
Randall