intl' careers in fashion design

This coming fall, it’ll be time for seniors to apply to colleges! or in my case, design schools! And I have a tricky decision to make. I would like to study fashion in London (ah a great place to be!). There is no doubt London is the epicenter of fashion and art but financially I will have absolutely nothing if I go there for school. And it is also true for nonEU citizens that employment is very difficult (work permits, visas, no freelance work ect.). Being a Chinese-American, I recently considered the option of studying BA fashion at Lasalle in Shanghai- their courses are taught in English and the tuition and cost of living is fantastic! I figure I can work for a foreign company afterwards and then go to London for my MA. Ultimately, I want to be able to set up my own business one day. I hope I’ve made rational assertions. Any help and words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

Since when is london the center of fashion? This is news to me and to everyone else around the world who pays any attention to fashion. Don’t be too concerned with the city, be in a good school, live in your ideal city once you have a degree and the potential to make a living.

i was under the impression london is one of the fashion hotspots of the world…

My sister’s studying fashion design in Brussels at the moment. She looked at different schools in Europe and found that the Belgium schools offer a good education at a reasonable cost. Also, the cost of living there is affordable. It would be good for you to check out Antwerp as well. They have a greater emphasis on drawing while the Brussels school seems to emphasize craft/hands-on creation.

I did my bachelor product development in Rubens’ Antwerp. (situated between London, Paris and Amsterdam) This movie is the reason for my post. And indeed, since the graduation of the Antwerp Six (Ann Demeulemeester, Dirk Bikkembergs, Dirk Van Saene, Dries van Noten, Marina Yee and Walter Van Beirendonck) it’s regarded as one of the best, if not thé best fashion degree worldwide. Most courses are in English by the way…