interview question

hi, I have a question regarding an interview that I did…

the manager that I had talked said, after the interview, that
he will talk to the HR person as to the available positions within the company and let me know…

I am not quite sure if it really means that he will look into it or just nicer way
of saying " NO "…
It has been a week since that interview and I am waiting for a reply…

Am I just wasting my time waiting?
and what exactly HR person do? I thought they just deliver what managers
ask them to do…

I’d really appreciate it if anybody can help me here with some advice…
Thank you.

Why should you be waiting? If something better comes up, you should just go for it.

did you send a follow-up thank you letter? or call the office to check on whats up? did they give you a time frame for a response? did the office look wicked busy? did they ask you for a copy of your references, maybe they are checking up on them.

call the office and find out what the deal is - persistance, but not annoyance, is key here.

that line about the HR person is pretty curious…usually the HR person is in charge of all of the details associated with hiring. posting the job, checking up on references, scanning resumes, etc. BUT, sometimes a manager in a department may just circumvent that process if they are searching for talent, and you caught thier eye somehow. it is possible that this interviewer is trying to establish a position for you or just find something where you may be a good fit because they like you. how did you get this interview anyway?

regardless, a follow-up call or email is what you should do. don’t sit around guessing - tell them flat out that you are still on the lookout for a job. if they want you, they will try and hook you in somehow…

thank you, constantinople!
your advice was exactly what I needed… thanks again.