interview + portfolio delivery

What’s an effective means of showing your portfolio to a prospective employer? I understand there are different approaches tailored to different people(HR, design managers, etc…), so let’s limit this to design managers/creative directors. Have your best interviews been you, as a narrator, talking through the portfolio with a captive audience. Or, do you prefer to plop it down, allowing the employer to thumb through at their pace and leisure while you attend to their questions? Or, are there other methods that you can recommend?

In the past, I’ve taken the narrative role, simply because it seems like that was what has been conditioned from my design education. I felt it necessary to explain things that may or may have not had any value for my audience. Now, with a few years experience, I have a keener understanding of what may be the elements of what the manager is looking for, and their ability to understand things that don’t need to be said. I’ve also come to reason that a good employer should be able to make a relatively quick impression of the skillset, cut through the BS and ask pointed questions. . .more for clarification if anything.

(Keep in mind that the things I’ve posted are only intended to be appropriate for the porfolio review part of the interview.)

Have your best interviews been you, as a narrator, talking through the portfolio with a captive audience. Or, do you prefer to plop it down, allowing the employer to thumb through at their pace and leisure while you attend to their questions?

I have yet to interview with a design manger that prefers you plop it down and wait for questions. If you can’t talk/present your own work why on earth with someone hire you? Designers need to communicate. That includes verbally.

Don’t change your current style.