Internship

Hi all,

Im international student and starting my second year in ID(Canada- Carleton U.) Due to immigration purposes, I have to start working in my field in less than a year…

my question is, how hard for a second year student to do intern that requires 3rd year standing?(For example Umbra asks 3rd year standing).
if the portfolio is good, would there be any chance with second year status??i also finished bachelors of business.can it be an advantage??

Thanks.

fy

Hey Fatihy,

One question, I am confused when you say you have to get a job in one year. I assume that you mean after graduation, and that it is a four year program? If this is the case, I would recommend the following:

It all depends on your skill level and what you can show/tell a potential employer that you can do for them. Without a strong portfolio this is going to be difficult.

My advice is to spend this summer beefing up your portfolio and skills with self teaching and personal projects. If it is not to late, I would also recommend trying to get a normal job at a local firm or company that interests you. You might not be doing design work, but you will get a feel for how the design field works in a real world environment. If they like you, this may lead to future opportunities.

As for your portfolio, look at examples from working professionals on core77 and coroflot.com to get a feel for what is expected of your portfolio and skills.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply Steel Reserve.

I completed first year of ID.The program is a 4 year bachelors…

I would like to ask one more question.
Im 26, and I have 3 more years to finish the school. Sadly almost all of my friends talk about how important it is to start working at early ages…I try not to think this age issue as a negative effect, but sometimes it comes to my mind that how late its going to be when Im graduated…

Is age really important?

I’m right there with you. I took several years off after high school to live work and travel (San Francisco, Tokyo, New York) until I knew what I really wanted to do.

I’m 24 and going into my junior year of ID at Pratt. While I do hear a lot about companies hiring young people, I think that your maturity level and life experience will help you in your internships and first job.

Just make sure to keep up to date with what is going on in all scenes: young, old, hi-tech, mainstream, indi, etc. (which as designers we should be doing anyway) and I think you’ll be fine.

Focus on being the best at what you do, and not what age you’re doing it at.

Also, your business degree will help you when talking to other business people and allow you to work with them and understand them more seamlessly.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the “age” support. there is one person in our studio(around 42 years old). I should say thats a strong commitment. Honestly I wouldnt be able to be that determined or brave at that age…
Perhaps I shouldnt be worried so much…

Btw, Ive checked your stuff and I must say it seem really good and professional. Nice skills! Pratt definitely shows its quality…

I have one more question. How useful sketching-visual skills when applying for a job(or intern)? Does it really help if your grades are not too good?

Thankss!