internship portfolio

i am applying for a student internship and the firm has requested a portfolio. i am not sure what is expected of students. how many projects should i send them and how detailed should i be with each project?

i am thinking of sending about 5 projects (one per page) - one sculptural piece, 3 products, and 1 piece of furniture. i have many more projects but i am hesitant to include 20 pages and overwhelm the reviewer. some of my projects are not ideal anyway - for instance, a great idea lacking great form, a wonderful concept substantiated only with sketches and not a model, some interesting sculptures that may slant my porfolioto the fine arts side, and a conceptual environments that spans several pages. maybe i should include the products that have solid concepts but not ideal forms?? i am proud of the ideas but worried that the form will work against me.

what are your thoughts?

Read the previous post:

here are some ideas to follow.

1.less is more.
you thought of doing 5 works, but are all five good? it is better to have 3 very good, than 5 or more that are ok.

2. make sure you write in the beginning what the intention of the project was. what problem did you try to solve?

you said that there are some that the idea is great but the form not so hot. talk about the project being directed more to idea development and that there was less time spent on form study. you need to put that out there in the beginning because if you dont you will be judged on everything.

like your sculpture, you can put that in, but that all depends on how you set it up. use that to talk about form and craft. (im not sure what it looks like, but i would guess that would work.)

another example would be putting in a solid works piece and stating that this was to learn the program. not to be judged on what they are looking at in solid works, if there was little time spent on idea, form, or business model.

1. tell a story
    talk about your process.

show ideation sketches and most importantly, why you went in one direction and not another. you may have made a great product, but they want to know how you got there, b/c if your thinking isnt good then how do they know that it wasnt just a spoof.

1. make them trust you.
    your work should be consistent. that is why you want to state what the problem was, how you tried to solve it, and your solution. you show them all those on product one, and they think ok. you do it again on product two, and they think this person might work. and you do it again and they trust you. they know they can hire you /c you consistently make the correct decisions. that is why you dont need a million pieces in your portfolio.

\
  2. if at all possible.
    companies love hearing about the three main big ideas. human, technology, and business. you might have a good idea, and the tech is out there, but no business model. that is ok, just be aware of all these things. you will win big if you can show that your ideas have it all.

the whole goal is to prove that you are really good at something, what ever that is. ideas, form, whatever. just make sure YOU know what that is, so that your portfolio follows that theme.

its long, but i hope it helps.

valerie

for the link and the wonderful suggestions.

valerie - it was especially kind of you to go out of your way to be so helpful and make sure that my particular situation was addressed. i’m working on the portfolio with your advice in mind.

i’m still not sure whether or not i should include the sculpture or not though. if i don’t have any technical products (mostly housewares and 1 peice of furniture), do you think that including sculpture might make me seem to fine-artsy? i loved your suggestion about mentioning how it was a form study, but without any technology driven projects i wonder how people will percieve me.