interesting ideas about wood...

hey guys
Can u give me some interesting insights or ideas about how to expand volume by making a interesting design out of 3 by 6 inches rubber wood. Basically we r supposed to build volume out of the wood.

any websites or books that i can refer to???

1. Make matchsticks. Assemble matchsticks into a geodesic form like that designed by Buckminster Fuller for Expo 67.
  2. Make sawdust. Mix with PVA adhesive and paint on outside of balloon, then burst balloon when dry. For odd shapes, make molds, paint inside of molds.
  3. Make veneers. Use veneers to make honeycomb composite.
  4. Make paper and think about origami !!!

PS: Ever wondered how they make Top hats and Bowler hats? They use the same process (and same machine) as used to make the paper cones in loudspeakers.

Ever wondered how they make Top hats and Bowler hats?

ONLY in the UK!! :wink:

When was the last time we saw a “Top Hat” in the US … ?
January 20, 1961

Great ideas, BTW!

Yes, it was a bit naughty of me to introduce British hats. Truth be known, you’re as likely to see a Top Hat in the UK as you are to see a Stetson. I think there may be just one manufacturer still making Bowlers. On the loudspeaker front, paper cones are being outmoded by polymers and elastomers. But the process dates back to the industrialisation of paper and felt-making. I watched loudspeaker cones being made (on a hat machine) in 1984 in a factory near Nottingham, England, and I was fascinated by how crude (= simple and reliable) it seemed.

I was fascinated by how crude (= simple and reliable) it seemed.

There is certainly something to be learned from the term, “crude, but effective”.

Problem is, society, as a whole, has forgotten most of it … a shame.