Intentionally confusing architecture?

Hello folks,

I’ve got a question for you. It is regarding a blog topic I remember seeing a couple years ago that I can’t seem to dig up.

It was an architecture post regarding a housing project in Japan (I think?) that was intentionally mis-proportioned (short doors, high beds), confusing floorplans & erratic colour palettes. The intentionally confusing design was meant to stimulate the occupant to think about their surroundings rather than complacently pass through their home. There were mentions of this benefiting old folks & those with memory loss. All I can remember are eclectic geometric shapes & crazy colour patterns everywhere.

I can’t remember the source of the article though. It may have been here, dezeen, boingboing or something similar. I need it as a reference for a research proposal but cannot find any info on it.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

I was on the right tracks, however I found the original architect/project in an unfortunate way.

The building style is called Reversible Destiny, with a loft building in Japan, as well as an entire house in the Hamptons. The designer, Arakawa, just passed away. His work was a very interesting take on living:

http://www.archicentral.com/reversible-destiny-loft-mitake-japan-arakawa-and-madeline-gins-6929/

Very interesting.

I’ve often thought (as many others have before me) that everything is becoming too easy to use – resulting in a lack of interaction with the world.

the post made me instantly think of the Victor and Rolf store in Milan (sadly not there anymore) the whole thing was upside down, all the doors, windows fittings were put in upside down with the lights sticking out of the floor. It always made me smile.

the whole thing was upside down, all the doors, windows fittings were put in upside down with the lights sticking out of the floor. It always made me smile.

I wasn’t able to travel home for the Christmas holiday my freshman year. Two other classmates and I were invited to our ID professors’ home for Xmas Eve festivities with his wife and a few faculty members.

Walking into the living room of his old Craftsman bungalow we were greeted my a fully bedecked Christmas tree, complete with hanging tinsel, decorations, and presents underneath … but it was suspended, up-side down, from the ceiling in the corner next to the fireplace. It had been trimmed and then sprayed with sodium silicate to keep everything in place.

You just made me smile remembering it Shoe.