Intel Centrino?

I’m about to purchase my notebook for school and am looking for opinions on the centrino processor. I would really like a good amount of portability, and all of the p4 and amd based systems seem really cumbersome. Software will mostly be rhino/flamingo, adobe suite, 3dsmax. Sorry if this uestion has been beaten to death. but i searched and didn’t come up with anything.

-Robb

dont know much about Centrino but it probly is fine. i’d be more concerned about graphics. i know ATi cards have bad rep w Alias apps.

If you buy a notebook with the centrino chipset, you get a Pentium M processor and the wireless capabilities built-in. THe advantage is the Pentium M which is the first processor they’ve built for portable applications. Clock speeds tend to appear lower in comparison to standard processor equipped machine, but the truth is that these are blazing fast.

As the other guy said, graphics processor is a must for the work you’re doing, but rendering is a compute intensive application, so the centrino is a good bet…

My tuppence worth

Centrinos are Pentium rejects. Intel tests each chip and if part of the architecture is not working they sell it as Centrinos. There is nothing wrong with them just not as fast. Their chips have much bigger capability they design their chips with “extra” room, to rerout if the chip doesn’t pass the test. I would buy the M chip but never AMD, I got it twice and in the past - I was twice disappointed. GOOD LUCK!

ok so here it is, centrino is intels name for a hardware group consisting of a pentium M a 915 express or 855 chipset and intel PRO/wireless network connection; any notebook can use these components but it only gets the centrino branding if it uses all three. the pentium M isn’t just a pentium 4 with a lot of dead transistors (what valdo describes is actually how the speed the chip is sold as is determined) the pentium M is a low/stepping voltage chip based on the pentiumIII architecture. as alistar said rendering is cpu intensive so if you do a lot of it I’d suggest stepping up to a p4 based system with a good graphics chipset even if it is more bulky but it depends on how patient you are.

more clarification: austin_erik is correct about centrino being a set of chips forming a notebook platform. valdo is describing the celeron processor, which indeed are pentium processors with less memory than regular pentiums.

btw, this lack of memory makes celerons very poor choices for raytracing, which need a lot of data coming into the processor all the time the renderer is calculating pixel values.