inspiration

For all of you O.G shoe designers out there, I was wondering where you all go to get inspiration. I like to travel and stick myself in luxurious hotels for the week.

Pretty much the same for me :wink:

I don’t like to look at other shoes, esp in shoe stores. I like to go somewhere good and people watch, go to gallery openings, see some live music, stay somewhere really nice…

An amazing line is NOT going to be created in a white wall room!

some of this might be cost issues, to send you somewhere to be inspired.

I think In most fashion companies, inspiration takes on a different meaning.

I look at inspiration from all aspects of life, furniture, sounds, smells, architecture, food colors, typography, finger prints found on glass…etc…and to use all these forms an functions and to apply it to your design and bring it into context/ apply it to your design problems. to begin to solve them. I also look at inspiration, tied hand an hand with Research. Very important to, I believe designing something in a new innovative direction.

Inspiration I have found in the fashion biz, is to buy/ take pics of shoes in other countrys/cities, with a more fast forward trend, then coming back pinning them up an moving off of that. so instead of other aspects in designs in our envirnment/life as our inspiration…its just shoes-colors of shoes to follow an pretty much just play dress up-mix an matching things. This is in some way because of the market they are in, they must keep within the trends to keep there biz running an I guess this fits there target markets, but is just in some ways discouraging, an frustrating. I find it harder to mesh two shoes together then it is to actually just start from scratch an run with some ideas…

You might be trying to fight an endless battle with your boss. I suggest that you give them what they want, but then you do an option or two that you want. then when you present it you might be able to get it in the line, or atleast move in that different direction. They are probably just scared of being too different.

“I like to travel and stick myself in luxurious hotels for the week.” you sereous or joking? sticking yourself in a hotel that is all bells an whissles isnt the point I think, it then almost becomes a vacation an not a research trip. Hoping that would have you actually spend most of your time out of the hotel room…dunno havent been to much other then motel 6…or holiday inn. maybe you find inspiration for the shoes from the hotels -details in the architecture, lighting, colors in the tiles in the bathrooms, different textures for the carpets…etc…

good luck with your inspiration travels…have you thought of a theme…an then work off of that…

theme- being travel (kind of broad- then begin to zero in)

so then from that you look into hotels, luggage design, ways of transportation, etc…

uno

Mm

When I say ‘stay in hotels’ and travel, I’m referring to getting away from all of the everyday stress, staying somewhere relaxing, visiting museums, seeing the culture, etc . and that is where I come up with ideas and inspiration. I build two lines of high end dress shoes for women. My question had been to ask fellow designers where they found their inspiration, not if they approved about how I become inspired.

I apologize B-

didnt mean to come down on you or your way of coming up with your inspirations that was not my intent.

I maybe just took it in a different direction, had been frustrated at work kinda with there process- an creative development.

Mm

I am a sponge

everything is potentially an inspiration, everything…

It’s cool dgtvision, no hard feelings. I take everything too seriously anyhow. Must quit doing that! :smiley:

It’s cool dgtvision, no hard feelings. I take everything too seriously anyhow. Must quit doing that! :smiley:

i get alot of ispiration from clothes whether from the actual season i’m working on or from the past eras

oh and people watching is an absolute must everywhere and anytime

me too! I love people watching and seeing what other people are wearing in different cities. It’s easier to find inspiration I think, and to build off of that instead of building off of what other designers are doing. But you know, we all must follow the market trends unless we are Chanel or Gucci. :laughing:

coffee.
and plus i can see into the future. the problem is i can only sometimes be bothered, because fashion and the design industry in general is so lame as a calling it makes me cringe.
i like hearing about the small percentage of individuals who did whatever they wanted, broke the trends, took risks, backed themselves, started companies from scratch… and now live in giant floating invisible time traveling pyrimids and they live forever, like steve jobs.
but yeah, coffee and cigarettes.

haha! I like to send my designs to really shitty factories in taiwn and see what public soles they can scrape together, then wait and see what designs they have similar to what i want and then when i get a shoe back from them that looks nothing like what i designed in a totally different material, i get really inspired.
I hope it doesn’t sound like i’m complaining!? I like to call it “Ghetto Zen”

sounds beautiful! i hope i dont get deleted if i disagree with the moderator.
the moddddddeeeeeerrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaattttttoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr will be back to delete me.
peace.

sounds beautiful! i hope i dont get deleted if i disagree with the moderator.
the moddddddeeeeeerrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaattttttoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr will be back to delete me.
peace.[/quote]

Dude, you deleted your own post in the other topic. I had nothing to do with it. I deleted a “guest” post that was beligerent, if that was you, not wanting to sign in, that’s your issue.

Dude, you deleted your own post in the other topic. I had nothing to do with it. I deleted a “guest” post that was beligerent, if that was you, not wanting to sign in, that’s your issue.[/quote]

its a conspiracy i tells ya. rats, this is not going the way i had planned.
i thought i had signed in. that post was gold!! …thoughtful: considerate, honest, witty, poignant, yet insightful, yet still not down with the dudes art.
i deleted my other post in a fit of rage, i was going to delete all of them, but then kind of coudnt really be bothered. (if you’re not busy though…)

Why would they delete you? Probably the most interesting posts on here. Thought provoking -Wait!..

…Inspiring.

yeah but i’m going to leave this poor forum alone untill i can actually post some of my work and not just make an arsehole of myself.
insert clapping sound here
because its actually a pretty good resource, and you can learn stuff from some really experienced footwear designers (when theyre not patting each other on the back about terrible paintings…) which is fantastic.
and i didnt even mention ‘balls’ once. :slight_smile:

that was moi btw.