Industrial Designer VS. Industrial Engineer?

So what is the big difference. Personally I have big ambitions. I want to work in the automotive industry, and eventually, I’d like to work towards building my own Automotive Corporation, (like i said, big ambitions). But if i were going to try and pursue this, which degree should i go for, if not both, and what is the difference between a ID and an IE?
Thanks for the help!

Good Luck

There is a huge difference between the two - so much that they have nothing to do with each other. An industrial DESIGNER will design products - whether its concept, the workings of a product, and how it looks (from chair to watch to car).
An industrial ENGINEER may plan, organise, supervise and manage the operations of industries to make sure of economical, safe and effective use of materials, energy and people.

I hope you’re planning on making fuel cell vehicles cause by the time you get your degree, get some experience, and get enough money together to start you automotive business gasoline is going to cost $6.50 a gallon.

tell you what, if you can build a spacecraft capable of getting us off of this heap while leaving all the religious fundametalists behind to rot in their own republican created filth then I’ll invest.

Nothing like a post that has nothing to do with the question.

I would recomend doing some reading on these boards and here: http://www.cardesignnews.com/

If you want to design cars then you don’t want to be an engineer. If you want to design a wiring buck or a suspension component, maybe a sub frame, then engineering is for you, if you want to run a car company, look into a business degree.

depends on if you see yourself as a creative(designer) or organizer(engineer)?

go for a liberal arts education, have a broad knowledge on everything and dont become a solid engineer or designer, then hire designers and engineers, some of the best, if you had a good education you can combine skills of different disciplines and try to differ from others with your final products,

just a thought that came up to me, this may sound absurd and risky but who knows…