Industrial design degree

Hello all! I would like to work in industrial design, but unfortunately I live in Oregon and we don’t have any programs here. Are there any other degrees beside ID that employers look for? I would love to get a degree in ID, but I would have to move out of state, pay non-resident fees, and apartment fees. Geez, it’s making me sad just thinking about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

you’re screwed

Leave your security blanket at home and go to school out of state. Thousands of people do it every year, you’ll be fine.

I grew up in NY and I went to two schools out of state in the opposite direction. Stay in the dorm, both schools had students frrom all over the globe, so my 12 hour drive home for the holidays didn’t seam quite as difficult as my friend’s one visit home to Singapore for the year.

Go down to Cali, check out:

also hard to beat Ohio, don’t know why it is a nexus for design schools, but it is.

good luck and get your mind out of Oregon for awhile. You can always come back. The major corps in state like Nike always send recruiters to the 4 schools I mentioned above.

Also, I would advise you not to go to Washington. A few of the model makers I work with went to UofW for ID, and it didn’t sound very good.

FAFSA.ed.gov

you can apply for loans and grants…

vt33:

Think of it from an employers point of view. They post a job opening for an industrial designer. They get several responses (actually in this economy 100s.) They must screen out quickly those who are actually qualified. Do you really think they are going to keep the person who has no degree or experience as an industrial designer?

If you’re worried about the cost of out-of-state tuition…you can always take a year off and establish residency in a new state. I knew a bunch of kids in Cincinnati who went that route…

Yeah, I think I’m going to have to take a year off to esatblish residency. I am thinking of either Washington or California. I know that U OF W is pretty cheap compared to other schools. My other choice is California. I would probably go to CSULB. I am originally from Long Beach, and I graduated high school from there so I automatically qualify as a resident. I know someone just said that they would not recommend U OF W, can anyone tell me why? Is Industrial design like law where it Really matters where you get your degree>

Yeah, I think I’m going to have to take a year off to esatblish residency. I am thinking of either Washington or California. I know that U OF W is pretty cheap compared to other schools. My other choice is California. I would probably go to CSULB. I am originally from Long Beach, and I graduated high school from there so I automatically qualify as a resident. I know someone just said that they would not recommend U OF W, can anyone tell me why? Is Industrial design like law where it Really matters where you get your degree>

i’m an industrial designer, but have a multimedia and journalism degree.

but i agree with the folks above. you may get a better chance getting an ID job if you have an ID degree. in my case though, i started out as an animator THEN moved towards ID after a year after i discovered i had a knack for making things.

i guess, how i see it, it’s how you plan your career path. there are many avenues you can take. at the interview though, it’s your experience, portfolio, and personality that matters.

you can probably get into architecture first, and take some fine arts and engineering classes that offer the same computer programs and allow you to utilize the skills needed to be in ID.

good luck!

I am 6000 miles away from my home and studying MFA. As you guys know, gradute school is more expensive than the bachelor’s degree. There are lots of opportunities out there to pick. Make up your mind and go!
Like Nike says: Just do it.

Indeed it does matter where you go to school. I went to get my BFA at a reletavely small art/design school (large university) which was almost unknown for ID. When I graduated, even though my skills were at par with the rest of the graduating populous, I felt overlooked because of the school I went to.

This whole process led me to become more creative with my employment approach, take on a great deal of different freelance jobs in different markets, and find myself loving a position as full time toy designer in a corporate setting.

I work with people from the well know schools for design and they are certainly as qualified as I am. But they will tell you the same thing that I will, school is what you put into it. You could be training with Mohamed Ali for boxing and if you are not motivated to excel and learn than what’s the point?

Professionally if you work for a organization that understands the creative person, you will get a chance to take all the addional training you feel you need. I go to seminars and conferences all of the time. I find myself buying transportation rendering books and learning other techniques all the time… without formal education. If you love design than you will figure it out… and you will always want to be better, because someone else does something you like better.

Moral of the story is that yes the school name matters, but when it comes down to it, it is up to you what you will actually gain from the education and the education never stops.

If you really want it, do it. Cut the apron strings and be aggressive, once you get your degree, you can can move back to OR where there are ton’s of cool companies to work for.