Index Finger Ergo Data

I need to design a rigid finger mounted device that is flexible enough to fit all sizes of fingers. It fits onto the tip of one’s finger. I have looked in the Human Factors Design Standard and found very general dimensions surrounding the hand and virtually zero information on fingers.

Two part question:

1. Is there such a document I can obtain, purchase or otherwise, that speaks to the variable sizes of the human index finger? You can see on the attached photo what dims I am looking for.

2. If there is NOT such a document…can you grab a set of calipers and measure the spots I am looking at getting and posting them on the board here?

I would be eternally grateful for assistance with EITHER of the above so I can start getting some kind of cross section data.

There is some of that specific finger data for different percentile ranges in the book “The Measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in Design” by Henry Dreyfuss & Associates. I have the book and can share the dimensions when I get a minute later today.

bb

Interesting, ever see those knobby finger protectors in office supply stores? One size fits all.

Sounds like a human UI device :slight_smile:

Do you mean a thimble? Unfortunately, I need this to be…um…streamlined.

You could say that.

That would be fantastic if you could. I will also see if its available at our local library.

Thanks!

dreyfuss may have the data…

also, why don’t you measure these dimensions for the people around you instead of expecting the internet to help you this way? anthropometric distribution varies with demographics & you may not want to design for Canada using Indian anthropometric data.

Good points desecrator.

The issue being that this afternoon, the only people I had around me were my 5 year old daughter, 2 year old son and my wife.

I was looking for a quick gauge of max/min sizes.

I have “average” hands that I would even say lean towards the narrow side. I believe I would make a decent starting point…but you do what you can.

1. If there is NOT such a document…can you grab a set of calipers and measure the spots I am looking at getting and posting them on the board here?

A. Thickness mid 1st 7 2nd joint = 70mm
B. Thickness @ mid fingernail = 64.5mm
Both of the above are dependant on how much the index finger is ‘squished’.
C = Length to first knuckle 26mm
D = Length to second knuckle 50mm
Unless open ended (an index finger tube), you will have to consider varying fingernail length.

Analogus examples:

More medieval than streamlined

silicon allows for more flexibility

latex? multiple use - salons, offices, etc

flexible solutions in the finger protection industry

…and yes the thimble

I would actually go with the human factors data from Dreyfus, and specifically not measure the 5-10 people in your office and go with that.

Body part sizes do not very by demographic, but do very by ethnographic. For instance the soccer mom demographic and the middle aged single women with no children are in different demographics but probably have similar body sizes. While a Chinese immigrant mother of three with a minivan that shops at walmart will have a different size finger that that of a Caucasian mother of three that drives a minivan and shops at walmart.

Unfortunately the ethnographic cross-section of the group that this is for is very, very broad. It could be, quite literally, a male/female from any ethnicity. They only transcending metric would be that they are all highly educated. It is a medical device.

:open_mouth:

Are you SURE about those numbers?

I have attached the data from Dreyfuss which has some but not all of the measurements you are looking for.

BTW, I have done lots of work in fitting products to hands, fingers and other body parts if you want to collaborate…

bb

ip_wirelessly, you’re right, thanks for pointing that out. Apparently, I’m not so ambidextrous, when using my old caliper with my left hand.

A. Thickness mid 1st & 2nd joint = 10mm
B. Thickness @ mid fingernail = 11mm

bcbone:

Thanks for the offer for collaboration. Not sure how it would work, especially based the timeline I am needing to hit. Just getting me these numbers has helped me tremendously. I am going to invest in this book for future reference. I always meant to, but never had a real reason to until this project.

As it turns out, I was correct in my assessment of my own fingers, I am a hair shy of the 50th percentile.

Agreed…but measuring 5-10 people WILL give take-off data. I had to do an ergonomic audit for those small toy tricycles in 1st sem…and unfortunately, there’s NO anthropometric database for children below 7-8 in India. So I had to go & take measurements for that…worked pretty well actually.

Body part sizes do not very by demographic, but do very by ethnographic. For instance the soccer mom demographic and the middle aged single women with no children are in different demographics but probably have similar body sizes. While a Chinese immigrant mother of three with a minivan that shops at walmart will have a different size finger that that of a Caucasian mother of three that drives a minivan and shops at walmart.

I beg to differ…in India atleast, 95th %ile data for someone from say Tamil Nadu (or any South Indian state) WILL be different to that of someone from Punjab or Haryana or any North Indian state. It’s a demographic distribution as whether it’s north or south, the ethnicity IS Indian. I see your point though…it’s quite a thin-line variation in terms of terminology.

And I was just about to take some measurements but I saw some standard data already posted. I guess that works for you ip…cheers!

‘Bodyspace: Anthropometry, Ergonomics and the Design of Work’ by Stephen Pheasant (CRC Press) has data on all finger lengths and index finger breadth and thickness - not everything that you are looking at but it might help.

So you are assuming that everyone in India belongs to the same racial group and that there are no subsets? To elaborate, and correct spelling, this data will vary within a demographic, but does not correspond to to it. Demographic refers to size and density, distribution, and vital statistics, not race or ethnicity. So like I said you could have an asian, american, french, whatever in the same demographic, depending on the parameters you have set up. so actually you are not differing, you are agreeing without understanding the terminology.

or in other words: You’re correct!

I did not assume there not being any subsets in India, but these mostly comprise of people who have mingled here, and in any case, either they’ve been living here for generations, or are in a number too insignificant on a statistical distribution.

Anyway, my only point was, people from north India are usually bigger & stronger than those from south India, and this has got nothing to do with ethnicity, but a lot to do with history…and north India and south India are not racial subsets…so basically as you go from north to south, the demographics change, and the body sizes change, but racially we’re still the same.

North-east India, however, MAY be considered as a different ethnic group because of the Mongoloid influences and the proximity to China, Myanmar etc…and makes it a case of variation w.r.t demographics OR ethnicity or both.

P.s: I’m not trying to carry the discussion further just because :slight_smile:[/i]

Ya, I am going to go with that Dreyfuss for now. I will likely do some cross-sectional measurements to confirm/refute the Dreyfuss info. But more than anything I just need the numbers to prove to the client that I am not pulling these numbers out of my ass.

what came first…the chicken or the egg :stuck_out_tongue: