In a sentance, What is Industrial Design?

Hi Tim,

I like your thought here - sorry if there is an obvious answer to this, but what ‘systems’ do Industrial Designers develop? Objects I get, and experiences to some extent as well.

Thanks,
-D

I develop Product Development Systems all the time. They include all of the metrics and reporting systems for multiple departments to get products from initial concept to shipped to the customer.

But I do see what you mean, systems may be a redundant word to experiences.

Sure, why not - a lot of ID people are looking into fields like Interaction Design, which puts the ‘systems’ idea more into practice, so this works too. Although, perhaps this does open the door to turning me back into a programmer! Ack!!

Thanks,
-D

How about ID is visual problem solving. then you can go on to specifics of product or method. ie: car interiors using a computer to develop solutions.

Giving the best to the most for the least.

…industrial designers are the consumer advocates in the product design process…

I always answer “Product Design”. “Basically everything that isnt a building.”

For sure some areas like fashion are a bit of a stretch to ID, but not so much so. In this way ID is pretty understandable for the non-designer.

Also help to give examples. I usually say some like “everything from cars to shoe to furniture to cell phones and consumer products.”.

hope this helps.

R

that works definitely works!

Also help to give examples. I usually say some like “everything from cars to shoe to furniture to cell phones and consumer products.”.

yeah, that is what i used to do when i would be explaining my major to people. i have always thought the good thing about id, is almost regardless what the setting is i can usually point to something as example of what it is…

I have heard this question for over 30 years now and for probably 30 years before that there has never been a good definition, let alone a simple definition of Industrial Design. For me, it has always been easier to be more descriptive in my explanation – product designer, package designer, exhibit designer, architect (I am one of those too), graphic designer, interior designer, etc. Product designer is pretty self explanatory – you can at least talk about the things you design if the conversation goes further. Industrial design is so broad and generalized that it defies definition and it has always seemed to me to be a useless term unless you are talking to another designer. It is also the reason that Industrial Designers have struggled for recognition and respect and spent so much time trying to redefine themselves.

To fulfill a dream, to be allowed to sweat over lonely labor, to be given the chance to create, is the meat and potatoes of life. The money is the gravy. As everyone else, I love to dunk my crust in it. But alone, it is not a diet designed to keep body and soul together.
Bette Davis (1908 - 1989), The Lonely Life, 1962

Not sure what she was talking about…but hey!

Every time you suppress some part of yourself or allow others to play you small, you are in essence ignoring the owner’s manual your creator gave you and destroying your design.
Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, February 2003

Damn…Oprah…?

It’s not a 9-5 job. It’s an every moment you’re awake job because you actually enjoy the work that you’re doing.
Jeffrey Kalmikoff, Designing for Community with Zero-Advertising Brands, SXSW 2006

Snap!

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
Steve Jobs (1955 - )

Isn’t Steve Jobs…some kind of important person?

Every contrivance of man, every tool, every instrument, every utensil, every article designed for use, of each and every kind, evolved from a very simple beginning.
Robert Collier

Simplicity…yes.

See first that the design is wise and just: that ascertained, pursue it resolutely; do not for one repulse forego the purpose that you resolved to effect.
William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

Shakespearean?

The Definition of Industrial Design?
It’s right there in the title …and on core site!
By Gadi Amit

http://www.core77.com/reactor/08.06_amit.asp

But you have to love the link title under ‘recent Articles’…Indudstrial Design?

Recent Articles :
1000 Words for Design Teachers
The Solar Shuttle
Cultural Innovation
Classroom Case Study
What is Indudstrial Design?
Last Man Standing
Design and Poker 4
Corporate Social Responsibility
NY Design Week Gallery

any new or revised one sentence definitions?

how bout product architect? i hope i dont step on any ones feet :wink:

thats what i usually say if people ask.

hmmm, at times i wonder if design isn’t just a kind of life sentence.

yeah, i know, lame! but i couldn’t resist…

Sorry - I know this is an old post but I couldnt resist adding my take on how i sometimes feel with a one liner . . .

Being an industrial designer equates to being a creativity whore!

only when you put yourself out on the corner.

I was speaking with a colleague yesterday on the phone who frequently posts on these boards about some of the founders of the field; Dreyfus, Loewy, Teague, the Eams. They approached it much more as a professional service, akin to a lawyer or an architect. As experts in their field they founded professional organizations like the IDSA, wrote extensively on the field (“Design this Day” by Teague), published technical tombs like (“Measure of Man” by Dreyfus), and presented themselves in the public sphere as competent professional experts in creativity.

The “face men” of our field today are not like these noble founders. Just take a look at any of Stark’s recent commentaries. Not only are they missed opportunities to explain design, he is actually taking us backwards with some of his statements.

Today I look to Richard Powell and Philip Seymour as the examples to follow.

Design is everything.

I think everyone gets this question and my response is a question and an answer

“What’s your favorite product?”
“An industrial designer is the reason it’s your favorite.”

Is it that hard to really explain that Industrial Designers design products? I think that nowadays most people are familiar with design having it been so publicly exposed over the last 10 years at least (Time magazine has a whole issue devoted to, even non-designers might be familiar with Karim, Dyson, etc.)…

All this talk of engineering + art, systems, user centered blah blah blah is just confusing and beside the point. I don’t think if you asked fashion designers what they did they would explain that they “combine the engineering of fit with stylistic trends and modes of self expression to create wearable garments…”. They would say they design clothing.

I just simply explain that artichects design buildings, Industrial Designers design everything else (products, that is). Pretty self-explanatory.

R

I agree with this.

:laughing:

I’m not big on the fancy descriptions either, but I do think designers work as creative problem solvers on a lot more products than people think… if they even think about where their products come from at all.

Gui, experience design, strategy, human factors, conceptual, crew area design, etc are all design niche that people might overlook, even in the industry