Illinois Institute of Technology

I was wondering how good the IIT Institute of Design Grad program is. It seems to be more focused on theory, rather than hands on work. Is it worth it to go there for or should I find another program? thanks

It all depends on what you want to do. It is an excellent program. If you have an idea of what you want to study/learn then I suggest you contact people at the school to see if their curriculum supports your goals.

BTW grad school should be about theory and research. Didn’t you do lots of hands on in undergrad?

Well, actually, I have not had any hands on work in the sense a degree in Industrial Design…but I want to be a designer, and instead of starting all over, I figured maybe I could go to IIT and and be in a better position, while learning all the other skills on the side. What do you think?

IIT is an excellent grad school for developing abilities in design strategy and user research, but without a design undergraduate degree, you’re going to need to develop design visualization skills elsewhere, or prepare to be creative with your job prospects.

It’s a good program and actaully if you don’t have a design background they make you take a year foundation class to learn your viz skills before you get into the meat of things.

Grad school as a means to change careers may seem attractive from a time/cost perspective, but ask yourself what kind designer you want to be and find the best program based on that. You may end up spending the same amount of years in school - and keep in mind that design Masters degrees dont carry the same meaning as other discliplines (pay + position).

It’s a good program and actaully if you don’t have a design background they make you take a year foundation class to learn your viz skills before you get into the meat of things.

IIT doesn’t have an undergraduate program in ID. Not sure where you would get your foundations.

As someone who completed a MFA in ID after a BFA in sculpture I would say do a 2nd BA (BFA, BID) instead… or go to a school where you can spend 2-3 smemsters in undergraduate classes.

IIT’s grad program is 2 years WITH an undergrad in (industrial) design, but if you lack the design background they require a one year foundation studio before entering the 2 year MDes program. From my own observations, this one year studio is not enough to build foundation skills (sketching, form creation, etc) as effectively as an undergrad degree in design. This is NOT to say IIT’s prgram is not worthwhile-- quite the contrary-- but the entering non-design-undergrad student should make sure their goals are aligned with where the program will take them. They will have superior strategic, analytical, and research skills, but their visualization skills may not be as capable-- which shifts the job opportunities that they should expect.