If you're going to San Fran...

I’m heading out to San Francisco for the first time this week. What should I be sure to see - design scene, tourist stuff, night life, resturants… Thanks! I’m so excited!

If you have the $ grab a Lonely Planet
Guidebook for San Francisco and read it on
the plane.

for starters…

Ride the Cable Car to Fishermans Wharf
Fishermans Wharf/Pier 39
Walk on the Golden Gate Bridge
Alcatraz
Golden Gate Park
Haight/Ashbury

Have fun.

There’s a long list, with links at What to do in LA, Monterey, and San Fran? - vacation sanfrancisco losangeles | Ask MetaFilter

I went last year and absolutely loved it. Three things I liked were eating at Luna Park, shopping at Haight Street and Hayes Valley. Most of all I just loved being there, wandering around. Hope to go next year again.

one of my favorite stores is Flight001 - there’s one in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York. lots of cool travel related things.

dinner in Japantown is a must.

at some point, a design museum is going to be opening, although i doubt it has yet. (http://www.meandra.org/) i would suggest calling and not trusting what it says in the site (said it was open in March when i was in town, but alas it wasn’t)

i prefer wandering around the neighborhoods, looking at the buildings in various states of beauty and decay.

telegraph hill to coit tower
down into chinatown
along east docks / presidio
wander back along northward side of town, avoiding pier 39 & touristas
ghirardelli square
back up hill / lombard street
back down to fort point
go to golden gate bridge proper
china beach area, ogle bridge @ sunset

downtown
take retro-line to castro
mission
noe valley
potrero hill
hunter’s point (during the day with others plz)
soma

some beautiful vistas. going the long way and climbing the steps up telegraph hill in a soupy fog. soma / downtown during rush hour in the night. hunter’s point at high noon. china beach at sunset. chinaTOWN at dusk, flurry of humanity. kids throwing around frisbees in golden gate park. watching people in north beach cafes.

a few suggestions:

www.sfmoma.com moma museum
www.craigslist.org/sfc/ fav local website (craig lives in my hood)
www.sfstation.com/index.php events and happenings

Atop the b of a building, tallest building in sf, is the cornelian room with an awesome view over the downtown and across the bay. Get a cocktail or beer in the lounge and enjoy the sunset if its not foggy or have dinner.

Taking a ferry around the bay is fun and you can byob. Stop in sausalito to check out the view and the art galleries.

Rent a bike; check out the routes at www.sfbike.org/ .

Check out a game at PacBell park.

Some fav neighborhoods: Haight-Ashbury, North Beach and Hayes Valley.

On/near the Haight: Red Vic movie house has some good movies coming up. Amoeba music store, Giant Robot (both) and GGpark.

Vesuvio in North Beach is a fav bar next to City Lights bookstore; Beat Gen. Across the street is a fab jazz club called Pearls.

Museum Mechanique with the singing fat lady at the wharf (toursity but hey) … lot’s of old working slot machine games and the like.

Market Street downtown. The apple store is cool.

Take the Cable Car somewhere.

Explore and have a good time!

btw, people in san francisco consider it an insult to call it ‘frisco’

a little history on the term ‘frisco’-
it was a prison term in the 60’s similar to the term used today (‘get low’), and a term used by hells angels members.

it also points you out as an out of towner newbie…

But be careful!!! :slight_smile:

I toured san francisco in March, fell in love and now I’m moving there next week!

whatever, dude/guest.

I like ‘frisco’, san fran san francisco, the city, whatever. I’ve lived here 7 years. Peace

i was born and raised here in sf and i call it frisco

herb caen (a now deceased writer for the sf chronicle) once wrote ‘dont call it frisco’ and because he’s an institution here (or was) it stuck.

god…this is totally unimportant…i must be really bored.

frisco rawks!

i grew up here too-

i have heard of the herb Cean Article.

and the history of the word still sticks.

My point is that many people don’t like the term, that’s all…i’m no snob,
but i’m sure people from New york might have something to say if you call manhatten the Big Apple, or Chicago ‘the windy city’

and yeah, i was bored too, why else would anyone point that out?

Thanks for the input! I just got back and had a great time!! I was visiting a friend who just moved to the marina - very nice area but we spent most of the time wandering around the city since she is new to the area too. we spent most of our evenings at a bar/resturant called bistro yoffi on chestunt st. they have jazz bands play most nights. nice place and good food - check it out if you’re in the marina area. we took the cable cars to china town - bought a “silk” checkbook holder that ended up not fiting my checkbook, go figure. saw the “full house” house from alamo square and went to sanoma for my first wine tasting. also wandered around haight street for an afternoon. San francisco is such a great city! i had such a great time! thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Thanks for the input! I just got back and had a great time!! I was visiting a friend who just moved to the marina - very nice area but we spent most of the time wandering around the city since she is new to the area too. we spent most of our evenings at a bar/resturant called bistro yoffi on chestunt st. they have jazz bands play most nights. nice place and good food - check it out if you’re in the marina area. we took the cable cars to china town - bought a “silk” checkbook holder that ended up not fiting my checkbook, go figure. saw the “full house” house from alamo square and went to sanoma for my first wine tasting. also wandered around haight street for an afternoon. San francisco is such a great city! i had such a great time! thanks again for all the great suggestions!