If you had access to all of this under one roof...

…what would you design? Assume it’s fully staffed with employees and fully stocked with materials.

240,ooo Sqft.

Fabrication:
Zund router
XY cutter
Cutting laser - up to 1" Steel/Aluminum
Strippit
Tube Benders
Weld Shop
De-Burring Machine
Wood Shop
Spray Booth
Powdercoat line
10 Ton Press
14 Ton Press
21 Ton Press
Wood Press
Panel Press
Large format fabric cutting and sewing shop (Upholstery/Graphics)

Printing:
10’ Dye Sublimation Printers - Fabric Printing
8’ Lambda Printers
8’ InkJet Printers
8’ UV Printer
Profile Vinyl

Design:
8" x 8" Rapid Prototyper (resin)
Model Shop
Industry Standard CAD/CAID
Adobe Suite
Video Studio

Harps, because thats what they consume in heaven right?

But to be serious, what comes to mind(with my limited manufacturing knowledge) and what id like to try:

Bicycle frames was the first thing i thought of
Modern instruments, but i guess that could require a cnc too.
boards of all sorts (skate/long/surf etc)
wakeboard winches
my ideal sketch/comp desk.

And with my recent sheet material fetish, the possibilities seem endless.

crap, your basically talking about zero constraints… it would be hard to know where to star. what wouldn’t I design might be a better analogy? I think I would start out with some tabletop and furniture items. Nothing with moving parts, but functional and stylish… just to get my feet wet… then I think I would start thinking about what stock electrical components I could incorporate, as in for lamps, or even simple electric appliances like pencil sharpeners, land line phones (I am somewhat obsessed with these right now for some reason), maybe simple desktop devices such as staplers, pens… easy to source components.

Right, it is a good bit of capability, this range of capabilities has vast potential with sheet goods, solid and pliable. Sourcing could be an option in this scenario I suppose.

Ok, i’ll throw a new consideration into the mix, what kind of products (or art) would you use these capabilities to produce in a mass customization endeavor?

Ah! What would you do? It could be anything.

your basically talking about zero constraints…

I’m not seein’ any foundry facilities on that list. Guess we’re going to have to out-source that

What a shame. No twelve-cyclinder, DOHC, projects in our future.

A 3d Scanner would be pretty sweet two… just pop the covers off some product you’re not satisfied with, scan, then tweak it a little in CAD. CNC it out and re-assemble - done!

I’d re-design so many things…

I would be designing and building furniture.

Off the top of my head, I cant really say. But id definately start out with furniture and possibly kitchenware.

This thing from notcot got me really curios. But id also like to play around with PU/EPS aluminium sandwich.

That basket is awesome, but wouldn’t be so good holding produce (I don’t have a bike so I’m not sure if that is just a stereotype of what goes into front bike baskets… I’m imagining some produce, a baguette and a bottle of wine, but I might just watch too many movies)

From what ive seen in Copenhagen, most people just put some kind of bag/rucksack/briefcase in to it. So i think youre right, it’s not really used as a basket in the old fashion sense but more like a miniature loading platform.

I’d try some furniture stuff for my backyard.

I’ve also had some good success with taking old CE stuff like stock Dell PC speakers and building new enclosures for them to make an iPod dock. It was just a few FDM parts, but with that shop you could get into some pretty nice finishes.

You’ve just described the perfect setup for the ultimate sign shop. You could do very high end interior work (to the extent of cabinetry/millwork with the wood shop) and 1-off exterior sculpture work, but at the same time you could be running national accounts (Starbucks, BK, Bank of America, etc.) right along side the trick custom stuff.

Of course that’s all provided you could harness all that tech. and be competitive. But, for this example, I’d say you could.

All you’d need to add to that are a few Boom/Bucket trucks, Skid Loaders, and Truck-Cranes, and you’d be all set.

Of course, I think I’d probably do furniture in there. High end, artisan stuff to really push the limits of the machines.

But, that would probably be a bit soul-less in the end. There’s something truly wonderful about crafting everything by hand…

Nope, most of this capability is probably better suited for craft on a limited mass production scale, what would you make with this that required an engine?

That basket is pretty sweet, totally doable with a laser as are materials like plex, by aluminium sandwich are you talking about something like Alucobond?

Exactly. Competitive pricing, distribution channels, sales, marketing; I left those constraints off the list because the ideas of what people would make could/should drive that stuff, but feel free to muse those possibilities as well.

It was this post that inspired me to start this thread:

Great post!

most of this capability is probably better suited for craft on a limited mass production scale, > what would you make with this that required an engine?

With this…

Assume it’s fully staffed with employees and fully stocked with materials.

240,ooo Sqft.

Fabrication:
Zund router
XY cutter
Cutting laser - up to 1" Steel/Aluminum
Strippit
Tube Benders
Weld Shop
De-Burring Machine
Wood Shop
Spray Booth
Powdercoat line
10 Ton Press
14 Ton Press
21 Ton Press
Wood Press
Panel Press
Large format fabric cutting and sewing shop (Upholstery/Graphics)

Printing:
10’ Dye Sublimation Printers - Fabric Printing
8’ Lambda Printers
8’ InkJet Printers
8’ UV Printer
Profile Vinyl

Design:
8" x 8" Rapid Prototyper (resin)
Model Shop
Industry Standard CAD/CAID
Adobe Suite
Video Studio

a quarter-million square foot shop to work in, all the materials, and a seriously enthused staff? A couple of limited production projects come immediately to mind.
Ducati Vyrus.jpg
morgan 44.jpg
morgan 3.jpg

Nice! The wood frame cars are awesome, I guess you could make some nice bicycle trailers as well…keg trailers.

I’ll add two more things:

Light material CNC - wood, foam, sintra, etc.
Wood crate shop

Furniture production seems to be the popular choice, but what about the fabric capabilities? Durable custom printed fabric up to 10’ wide, what would you do with that?

Thanks for all the responses, this has been very insightful so far.

Caravans! with all that kit you could come up with something to rival the airstream.