IF YOU HAD A CHOICE: tablet pc or cintiq???

lets say you had a few grand laying around (i can dream…), which of these would you get? which would be most useful? more fun? worth the $$$?

or one of these:

???

I’m still jonesin’ for a TabletPC. The Cintiq is pretty sick tho. I think it depends on how much you want to spend and how portable you need your computer to be.

I agree. Does the tecra have an optional tilting/rotating desktop dock?

I’d have to go with the cintiq. I hear the colors are more accurate, pen pressure, etc…as long as I can lay it down flat or move it around and not have to use it upright like the photo. There is a benefit in both though, depends on your specific situation. Also if the smaller 17" sized one had the same quality specs as the 21", then I’d go for the 17.

If I could get either, it’d be the Cintiq – my desktop is a much more powerful Photoshop machine than that tablet PC, and I’d like to have the space to work (21" widescreen is about the size of an 11x17 paper).

If I feel the need to carry around something to draw on, I’ll go with my sketchbook, because its batteries never die and if I lose the pen that goes with it, I can replace it for 5 cents.

If I feel the need to carry around something to draw on, I’ll go with my sketchbook, because its batteries never die and if I lose the pen that goes with it, I can replace it for 5 cents.

never even considered that…that would be really bad. i would think that the portability would make the tablet pc a lil’ more appealing.

Good point. I guess the real question is how much you need to work on your other digital data away from your desktop.

For that, I use a laptop. I don’t know about the future, but at the moment it’s not that big a hassle to scan sketches and edit them afterwards.

That, and the professors prefer stuff done in traditional media, right down to the rapidographs, markers and white gouache.

I’m curious to know if anyone is using a pen-input device and Painter and/or Alias Sketchbook for their client work. I can understand arguements both ways.

My scanner died recently so I’ve been seriously considering picking up a TabletPC. Arclight, your “because its batteries never die” comment has me reconsidering.

*functionlab searches pricegrabber for a new scanner

My scanner died recently so I’ve been seriously considering picking up a TabletPC. Arclight, your “because its batteries never die” comment has me reconsidering.

th sweet thing about the tecra is you can switch out the optical drive and put an extra battery in its place if you just know you will be away from a power source for a good amount of time…

ok, the 21" would seem to be the obvious choice but what of the 17" which is about the price of a brand new high end laptop at $1800? has half the sensitivity and no tilt, or convienient do-dads that the larger one has…

over a beast of a tablet pc?

i wanted a tablet pc, as i need to replace my laptop, but i am reconsidering because everyone i posed the question to opted for the cintiq…but that thing is expensive, has anyone looked into leasing one?

I’d love the 17, but they say the colors aren’t as good as the 21 and it has a lumpy bezel making it harder to draw near the edges, where the 21 is smooth all the way.
Seems they took out some features to pretty much force a pro to want to get the 21.
The 17 with pro features would be real nice, and fits in your bookbag.

I’m always posting on these types od discussions in favor of the Tablet PC. If you’re an independent designer like me, the portability is key. The color accuracy (or lack thereof) is definitely an issue, but I have a 21" Dell LCD monitor that does the trick for color accuracy and screen size for 3d modeling. If you go with a Tablet PC, get a port replicator so attaching to your screen & backup hard drives is just one snap-in connection.

optimistic, can you tell me more about your setup? do you use your laptop as your “main machine?” what is the cause of the color inaccuracy? is it the screen protector/surface? have you used a cintiq before? care to compare? sorry for all the ???s, i have been watching that site you posted about info for the upcoming toshiba, got to thank you for that one.

I use a tablet PC, and let me tell you the screen size is killing me!! (it’s a ‘motion’ tablet). The screen is almost the size of an 8.5 X11. When I draw, there is a LOT of zooming in, and panning. Also, hot keys are a necessity, since with tool bars shown, I have about 5"X7" to draw on :slight_smile:
But, all that bieng said, it gets the job done, and is still 1000% better than paper and pens.

If I had enough money, I’d buy the cintiq. But if you need a whole setup for ~$2500, the tablet PC gets you more bang for the buck.

koosh, the motion tablets are sans keyboard, no? have you ever used a cintiq?

Well I have both a Toshiba Tablet (one of the first ones sold) and the Gen 1 Cintiq (18"). My Toshiba collects dust- It has a hardware problem that requires me to pinch the edge of the LCD frame in an area to reconnect the touch screen panel. Pain in the *&$#@#.

I use the Cintiq for everything! Can’t imagine how I can live without it. Thought about the new 21" but I use the inside of the screen bezel as a straight edge for triangles, and other templates. etc. So without it I am not sure how much I would like it (Gen2 21"). Use Alias sketchbook Pro 2 exclusively. Tried painter- great program but too many bells and whistles. Touch up, screen captures, edits, SBP has it beat. It still needs maturing but for harcore stuff it holds its own.

My vote Cintiq. :smiley:

jungle, I think all tablet pcs have a keyboard:

that is unfortunate bluesky…i think i would have to hurt someone! did you use it much before it became inoperable? good experience?

functionlab, slate tablet pcs do not come with keyboards

The Toshiba still works fine-just slow. But the pen tip to LCD distance is to great for sketching. There is a lag and the pixelation is not smooth. I am sure they fixed this in the newest tablets. I saw them at CES this year. Nice… but still I would vote for a Cintiq.

I spend most of the time at the desktop with the tablet by my side.

koosh, the motion tablets are sans keyboard, no? have you ever used a cintiq?

Correct. I use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for general use, and then just the keyboard and pen for sketching/rendering. I actually think this may be a better setup for sketching than the toshiba, because I can put the keyboard to the side of the screen, and don’t have to relearn my hot key positions.

I haven’t had a chance to try the cintiq yet…

Tried painter- great program but too many bells and whistles. Touch up, screen captures, edits, SBP has it beat. It still needs maturing but for harcore stuff it holds its own.

I tried both programs as well, and settled on painter. I just felt like it had more depth than sketchbook pro, and more potential to really tighten up sketches into renderings. Painter also lets users customize the pressure sensitivity, and how jittery the lines are, which I like.

One of my biggest problems starting out with sketch book pro was that all my lines were wobbly, and I felt like I had to learn how to draw all over (especially for ‘tight’ drawings) Painter seemed to solve that, but then again, maybe it was just the practice. :wink: