IED_Domus_ELISAVA

Recently i received the letters of 6 institutes i had applied and the answer was the same…“blah, blah…we are sorry to inform you that we can not accept you”.

I had not applied in italian institutes such as IED and Domus (they start their programs in January) so i am about to apply there too as my last chance.

If i am not wrong many of you are sceptical about the educational level italian schools offer. Am i wrong? What makes you to underestimate them?
More recent the SPD case…

Thank you for your feedback

Do not bother to apply to SPD. it is a joke.

yeah, i 've read the worst about it…

something else i want to ask…in Domus they say that in the beginning the course is in english and then in italian. My question is will i be able to complete my projects in italian when i currently speak no even a single italian word? This sounds a bit tricky…

Hey Alex,
I have two suggestions:

1. If you have so many doubts about Italian schools, don’t rush into it - call them and talk to someone, esp about if you’d be able to understand your professors
  2. If you aren’t going to be happy at an Italian school, then don’t go. Take a few classes locally, improve your portfolio, then resubmit.
    What’s the point in settling? It’s your future.

Alex, why dont u try some schools in Canada? My friend went to Emily Carr in Vancouver. Totally enjoyed the city and the school.

Thank you for your replies. Well, i am freaking out, I just got fired from my first job (worked for the olympic products of 2004 + once the olympics r here no reason to keep me in company anymore… :frowning: ) and 6 rejections from the unis. Not bad ha!?

I know that what i have to do now is to collect my pieces and move forward but after all these different rejections is a bit difficult (especially now where everyone is happy around ,enjoying the so called “greek summer”).

@amhoha, the prob is not whether i will be happy in an italian school or not but if it worths the time and money…(a lot of 'em)

@guest, thank you for your suggestion but canada and america in general is too far for me…

Keep hope alive my man.
Try IED Masters in ID in English.

Well,
Yesterday, i ve concluded a Summer Session at Domus Academy…
I had two weeks of intensive course and workshop…Well, the feeling at Domus Academy is realy nice…you can meet a lot of persons from all around the world…!!! If you like to create network…this is the right place !!!
The organization of Domus Academy…is not so good…i think is the tipical italian school…a lot of Bla Bla Bla…
About the language … all the master courses are in italian language with english translation (only the first month) .

I would like to hear more on this topic. Dot kite do you think it is worth for international students to come to Domus? Is the language gonna be a problem? I did hear ppl say it is a good place for networking.Lookig forward to your comments.

Hariesh.

Well, Hariesh,
I think that Domus Academy is realy good for networking…but i m sure that you ll face problems with the language…if you don’t have basic knowledge of italian language…then i think that you should start to learn italian, if you want to go to study there. For the master programmes, Domus Academy provides translation only the first month…after that…every lecture is gonna be in italian…During the last two weeks i had realy nice time with all the international students!!! But fortunately i know the italian language also if i m not italian!
So, if you are realy interted to go to study there…i would suggest you to take some italian courses…before going in Milan…

if you would like to have other info…please feel free to ask…

Hi Dot kite

Thanks for the info. Now that you had been in milan u must heard of IED aswell. I have got into both IED and Domus, but havnt decided where I shld join. Can you give share your comments bout these schools.

And what is your background?
Your suggestions could be of help

Hariesh

Hariesha,
about IED, well i don’t realy know many things… a friend of mine studied photography there…IED has international students aswell. But i have the impression that Domus Academy is better if you do industrial Design or Design Management ! Once i had the possibility to visit the facilities of IED in Rome…and what i can say to you is that i found them not realy good ! They had only one laboratory with PCs and i didn’t saw any laboratory to create models…but ofcourse, this is what i saw in Rome…In Milan, perhaps the situation will be different !

About my backround, that was my last year in Industrial Design . But i m realy interested in Design Management…therefore i did the Summer Session in Design Direction at Domus Academy.

What i would suggest you is that if you want to go in Italy to study , you should learn little bit of Italian…otherwise you will find some difficulties to follow the lessons !!!

I hope i helped you little bit…
but as usual…if you want more specific info…feel free to ask…!

Before i forgot to firm…sorry

Hariesha,
about IED, well i don’t realy know many things… a friend of mine studied photography there…IED has international students aswell. But i have the impression that Domus Academy is better if you do industrial Design or Design Management ! Once i had the possibility to visit the facilities of IED in Rome…and what i can say to you is that i found them not realy good ! They had only one laboratory with PCs and i didn’t saw any laboratory to create models…but ofcourse, this is what i saw in Rome…In Milan, perhaps the situation will be different !

About my backround, that was my last year in Industrial Design . But i m realy interested in Design Management…therefore i did the Summer Session in Design Direction at Domus Academy.

What i would suggest you is that if you want to go in Italy to study , you should learn little bit of Italian…otherwise you will find some difficulties to follow the lessons !!!

I hope i helped you little bit…
but as usual…if you want more specific info…feel free to ask…!

Hi Dot Kite

Thanks for the info. You had mentioned of IED not having good labs & model making facilities. How is it in Domus. I mean… How are the facilities in Domus? How big is the campus. I heard they are shifting their campus. So is it that they dont have a permanant campus?

And you having done your ID, How is the scope for International ID professionals in US, UK & Europe?

Looking forward to your comments.

Hariesh.

hey allesandro,

what’s the bad news about SPD (scuola politecnica design) in milan? can u enlighten me? am considering of going there.

Mike, I suggest you read the thread " SPD in Milan ripped me off ".

regards
Hariesh.

well, i bring back this topic once next week i plan to submit my portfolio to both ied and domus (i tried to contact domus via mail but no respose…do you hapen to know how long does it take to reply wether they accept you or not after receiving the portfolio?)

i do not speak italian but i am willing to take italian intensive language lessons if they accept me. The language they use is it so difficult? jargon staff? Did do have any collegues with no prior knlwledge of the language? did they make it to complete the course?

thank you for your interest and time

hi alexandros!

i’m aishwarya. i too was thinking of applying to domus so have some info on it.

they have translation for the first six months . there after u do u’r master thesis where u dont have too many lectures . whenever u do have ne lectures the facility of a translation is provided. moreover u will be assigned a guide for u’r thesis hu will comunicate with u in english either on his own or with the help of a assistant. hope that answers u’r query

aishwarya hi!

thank you for sharing your info…! i was puzzled\ by the fact that although i had also heard that they provide english translation for the first 6 months, but in this topic it is mentioned that this was only provided for the 1st month! Anyway, have you sent your portfolio? Did they reply to you?

good luck! hope to c u there!

The first 2 months simultaneous translation into English but after that you need to learn Italian.