ID'ers and surface modeling

I’m interested in hearing from ID’ers who work primarily in surface modelers about what kind of work they’re doing and what happens when they hand their geometry off to …?

In my (brief) professional experience working in an in-house design department we have several designers working with a large number of engineers. There is almost always a back and forth between departments when it comes to modeling. If we were to use a surface modeler to generate exterior geometry and turn over dead (perhaps iges) geometry to our engineers to add internal features I guess that would be fine… Until we needed to make any modifications to our work. We would then have to make our change to the original geometry and resubmit it to the engineers so that the scores of features they had previously added could be rebuilt. Not a good way to work.

I’m interested in knowing how those of us who work in surface modelers deal with this issue.

-ocd

if the geometry is the first import, often the CAD features can simply regenerate on a redefine of the imported file. it will likely still fail. but if the change is small, the repairs aren’t too terrible. planning ahead and recognizing potential changes (e.g. motors ALWAYs seem to get bigger) can usually help minimize the frustration.

when designers come up with a design most of the time they have little idea about engineering and modeling issues specially if they havn’t started out working on it with the engineers in the first place. other issues might involve things that they both missed as the project gets underway.

if you’re modelling with a surface modeller the best you can do is keep track of the methods you used to do a surface. but if you’re using a cad software with high end surfacing it depend on your skills like creating the skeleton, finding the right geometry, parent/child formulation,etc.

you also have to be able to simplify those surfaces that are designed incorrectly as a result of certain styling in mind. that would probably be the most crucial issue in good design practice.

Who ever touches the model last… wins.

If you expect to get a job in Paris France you should have some handle on the French laungage.

If you expect to work among a large number of Engineers you should speak the same laungage they speak otherwise you become a pain in their ass. If that is solidworks or wildfire then master those tools but don’t forget that an ID’ers function is to itterate form. If you chose to use a pencil that it fine. WWII was won with a pencil. (cannons and warplanes)