ID Study Abroad

Has anyone spent a year abroad for ID? I’m wondering about what sort of schools/places would be best.

Here’s a list of my university’s current affiliates:

Burg Giebichenstein, University of Art and Design
Halle, Germany.

Kunsthochschule Berlin-Weissensee, Hochschule fur Gestaltung,
Berlin, Germany.

Fachhochschule Potsdam, University of Applied Sciences Potsdam,
Potsdam, Germany.

University College Salford, School of Design and Technology,
Salford, United Kingdom.

University of Industrial Arts Helsinki,
Helsinki, Finland.

Escola Superior de Desenho Industrial,
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

But I’m pretty sure you can study just about anywhere that has an ID program. Any tips, suggestions, anecdotes? Also, funding…?

undergrad or grad?

Biggest thing to find out id if they teach in English-- then find out if they really teach in english.

Why all the German schools? Also look at the Dutch schools- Delft, Arnhem, and DAE. (You’ll have the most fun in Holland.)

Funding can be tough. Stafford type loans are rare for overseas design school. (I looked and tried). There are private loans and grants around. I’d also suggest applying for a Fullbright. Been known to happen.

good luck

I assume we have a lot of German affiliates because half of the ID faculty is from Germany. Very cool, I’m a big fan of German design. Not sure that Germany is for me.

Would you happen to know what the requirements are for being a Fulbright scholar? I googled it and the information was a little confusing. I guess I would want the Fulbright Global Program? Is that correct?

I was hopeful when I saw that the title of the school in Helsinki was in English. The front page of their website was in English too! But deeper in the website, it goes into straight Finnish. Man, Finnish isn’t really like any other language. I bet it would be pretty hard to learn in 2 years, huh?

Also, what’s cool about Holland? And how did you end up paying for your study abroad and apx. how much did it cost?

I know that’s a lot of questions. Thanks though.